1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My first bad open-box mobo from the egg

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by twilyth, Aug 25, 2009.

1. twilyth Guest

I've only gotten maybe 3 OB's from the egg and I never had a problem. But this time they were sloppy. I'm sorry, but I have to say it.

There was TIM jiz on the socket and bracket. It felt like sloppy seconds. Plus, nearly all of the pins for one of the connectors (audio or USB) were bent almost down to the PCB.

I don't know what zoo this poor mobo got passed through, but damn, lousy QC guys.

OK. Fine. But I still saved like $20-30 bucks so, I'm easy.

I finally get everything together and I'm ready to install W7 (woo-hoo!) and the fucking video chipset doesn't work. I had the vga connected to vga and DVI-digital connected to the DVI-dig port on the same monitor (after trying them separately). DOA. Fuck.

It's an Asus M3A I think so I know the real culprit is whatever brain dead primate had it last. And I guess I don't really expect newegg to test EVERY mobo that comes back, but if you were going to test even 1 out of a hundred, this would have been a candidate.

Disclaimer: I still love the Egg. X O X O :wtf:
  2. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    I have got hundreds of OB parts at Newegg and only had 1 DOA. Lucky they still return them (as long as you dont take too long)
    I have never complained about QC at Egg (ZZF, now thats a different story:mad:)

We have no other choice but to use the Egg, even with their faults (not that many) they have no equal.
  3. 3volvedcombat

3volvedcombat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im a cheap guy but ive always been afraid of getting a open box motherboard. If 2 out of 3 came working its changing my mind. I mean i wouldnt go return a nice motherboard. It always makes me think why newegg got the motherboard back. Then i can get lucky and realize maybe the guy didnt have the compatable memory or cpu, or revision that he wanted and its prestine new :).
  4. IINexusII

IINexusII

Thanks Received:
    looks like someone masturbated on the sockets. i would RMA
  5. 3volvedcombat

3volvedcombat New Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL :nutkick: :rockout:
  6. twilyth Guest

OB deals are good deals as a general rule. I figure they got a restocking fee and they're passing most of that on to me.

BUT, in my limited experience, don't expect to get all the bells and whistles like SATA cables, CD, manual, etc. In my admittedly limited experience, all you can really count on is the mobo. Anything beyond that is gravy.
  7. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    I think a lot are because of missing parts, damaged boxes, people not knowing that some memory settings need to be entered.

its EXTREMELY rare to get defective boards. I would say also that about 33% of the boards I got from OB were complete with all accessories and like new packaging as well.

now all that said I would make sure the OB part is a lot less than the retail one (at least $20 and free shipping)...Some OB parts are only a couple bux less and I have even seen a few OB parts that cost MORE than Retail stuff.
  8. stanhemi

stanhemi New Member

Thanks Received:
    What do you mean by '' lousy QC guys.'' ? ...i think i understand i just want to be 100% sure
  9. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I just ordered my first OB motherboard, a Asrock x58 Supercomputer. Couldn't resist. It was $100 off the retail price. Let's hope at a minimum that the board is in working order, though I'd love to get all of the goodies with it.

Hey Twilyth, Sorry to hear you got a bad one this time around. I'm really surprised at the QC here. I know that they aren't going to TEST every board that comes back in, but you'd thik they would at least do a good visual inspection...

Poor Quality Control
    stanhemi says thanks.
  10. 3volvedcombat

3volvedcombat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Quality Control guys. If you have a ati card look at the back of the pcb, you will se a green stamp with QC, on it. It goes with everything basicly. There supposed to make sure the product is in selling quality and still works with bells and whisles kinda. But on new hardware it should be QC'ed to the max to make sure it works luls.
    stanhemi says thanks.
  11. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Damn. Yes I have been tempted many times but never brave enough to go OB mobo. At the very least I need the backplate for sure.
  12. vbx New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like someone F'd up their MOBO, bought a new MOBO from the egg and put his dead one back in and RMA it.
  13. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    yea probably,dummys do that at alot of place now, and it sound like he made sure it wouldn't work by bending everything up too

he probably took a wis on it too
  14. twilyth Guest

That's what I meant. Thanks.

If you see a board come in that you're pretty sure has been abused, or at the very least, was not treated with any care (electronic equivalent of a chicken head? I'm reaching for analogies right now), you should probably think twice before sending to someone else.

Right now it's going to cost me about $6 and change for the restocking fee and another $4-5 bucks for shipping but they'll probably get reimbursed in full from Asus. I'm almost tempted to pull out an old PCI video card and see if I can get it to work with that, except it will probably default to the on-board video and I won't be able to change the bios setting.
    Good point, although it could have been the cats.

Only thing is that they always deny everything. I got them second hand and I'm convinced the origin owner was Karl Rove.

(Apologies to my conservative brothers and sisters). :p
  15. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    I've done right around 10 OB mobo's from the Egg 4 of them had everything and looked and seemed like a brand new motherboard. The others didn't include any cables or anything (to be expected) but they worked beautifully.
  16. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You can get them to waive the restocking fees. I've never had to pay them. You just ask real nice, and remind them that you are a loyal customer. ;)