1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My first foray into the world of Solid State Drives

Discussion in 'Storage' started by CrAsHnBuRnXp, Jan 8, 2012.

1. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Well I finally bit the bullet and bought Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB 2.5" 120GB ...

I cant wait for it to get here. Im tired of my slow ass hard drive. :p

Now, what I might do is take my old 250GB hard drive that I had for Windows and turn my game drive (also a 250gb hdd) and make them a Raid 0 for games that I wont put on the SSD.

All in all im pretty stoked. Also snagged a 16GB flash drive for $25 that's USB3.0 and has read speeds of up to 100MB/s. Here is the flash drive. What im thinking of doing with this is putting my all in one Windows 7 on it and making a separate folder on the flash drive for exe's of which i commonly use to put on my/clients computers.

2. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Watching, that's going to be my next move

3. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    For $154.99 I coudlnt pass that up. Its almost a $200 SSD.

4. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    So I got my SSD today (Wed Jan 11), and Ive installed Windows. Ive moved my temp files to my old C drive and ive moved my downloads folder there as well. Ive disabled disk defragmenter, Superfetch, and Windows Search. I cant seem to figure out how to move Firefox's temp folder though. Not sure where they keep it. :confused:

At any rate, what else is there to do, if anything? This is my first dabble into solid state drives and im not 100% sure what to do.

Here are my speeds for my SSD that is linked in the OP.

[​IMG]

Are these speeds correct? Or should I be getting what Is being advertised which is 550MB/s read 515MB/s write?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  5. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Looks slow. Did you use AHCI. There is a drive speed thread here somewhere for compairson

6. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
  7. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Actually if you run WEI it will tune the system for the SSD, it will NOT do it on its own.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  8. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Actually i plugged re Ssd into a connector on the motherboard that defaults to ahci. ill run wei and see what happens.

EDIT: Running WEI didnt seem to make much of a difference. Still getting same results.

EDIT 2: Im reading some of the feedback reviews on Newegg and people are getting double what im getting. Not sure why. Ive double checked the BIOS to make sure it was using AHCI mode and every sata port is. Not really sure what is going on here or what to do to bump up the speeds.

Ive already updated to the latest firmware.

EDIT 3: Here is ATTO benchmark

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  9. techspec6 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Plugging into the gray or the navy blue sata ports? The navy blue ones are definitly going to bottleneck your results since it's a Marvell Sata3 connection. Need to connect to native 6GB sata ports straight off the southbridge to get good results.

Make sure you're using the gray sata ports.

Jason

10. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    I am.