1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MY FIRST "GAMING PC"

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by LeonVolcove, Jan 10, 2014.

1. LeonVolcove

LeonVolcove

Thanks Received:
    Windows 8 is lighter that Win 7? really?many review across the web saying that they heavy, memory hunger or lagging(although i never used it, so i cant comment much or dare to comment)

2. LeonVolcove

LeonVolcove

Thanks Received:
    is worldwide or just selected country like US UK or Europe?

3. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    On older hardware it is, if Aero Glass is turned on in Windows 7. Windows 8 does not have that, which is why the desktop part looks like a flat Windows 7. On modern hardware the difference is zero, unless you have problems.

The UI is sort of jarring though, or rather, that you're thrown between Metro and desktop mode. That is the biggest problem imo. If you really can't stand the UI there's always Classicshell.

4. Chetkigaming

Chetkigaming

Thanks Received:
    Maybe you should stay on your pc but with some gtx 780 ti for this money, 100% its would be better than build new one

5. LeonVolcove

LeonVolcove

Thanks Received:
    sorry but i never had a pc before, just a normal laptop from boss for working.

6. Chetkigaming

Chetkigaming

Thanks Received:
    Try to find some cheapest used pc with good cpu without gpu and buy some gtx 780 for 4xx $ + monitor, and find some friends with windows)) it's a very nice way to go. You`ll get one of the best gaming performance for this price ;)

Vario says thanks.
  7. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    No

this is a build i would suggest
    AMD FX-6300
    Asrock 970 Extreme 4
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600MHz
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler (i am in india and i can say this is more than enough. summer, my room temps go over 40C)
    any company AMD HD7790 or R7 260 (both are same card, but the 7790 is usually cheaper)
    2TB WD20EZEX <-WD 2terabyte blue hdd.
    Asus DVD Drive
    Dell 2240L IPS LED Screen, 1080p.
    Corsair GS600 PSU

With the money left over you can buy speakers, and keyboard mouse to your liking.
    for keyboard mouse, try the logitech K200(keyboard) and Logitech (G400)

since you play mostly MMORPG , there is no need for a expensive GPU, as MMORPG Graphcis are pretty standard. and in any case the 7790 can easily play the challenging titles pretty well.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  8. Dent1

Thanks Received:

1 stick of 8GB so you have room for expansion in the future. But it really doesn't matter.

Cheap motherboard is fine, if you're not overclocking the cheaper the better as you won't need the features.

SSD isn't in your budget. quicker boot time isn't enough reason to justify it anyways, snapper navigation within the OS. Maybe. Gaming wise it won't benefit you unless you install the game directly onto the SSD which requires even more money.

Case isn't a big deal, its an area which you should spend one of the least on as it won't add performance, especially on your budget. Just make sure it has enough space inside for at least 120mm or larger fans.

Intel make good CPUs, we've all had bad experiences it shouldn't cloud your judgement. If Intel gives you better performance for your money that's all that matters. If you're going AMD I would personally get the FX Piledriver X6.

Whether Windows 7 or 8, it really doesn't matter. It isn't going to make any difference to your gaming experience. Buy whichever is cheapest and offers best value for money in your country.

Video card I'd get a dedicates one, at least R9 270 if you don't want to be disappointed. (HD7790 or R7 260 level of card for temporary solution with expectation to upgrade it very soon)

9. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    I'd run a haswell 1150 i3 or a pentium dual core g3220 with a 7850. 2 cores is probably enough, the single threaded performance is what he wants with a budget gamer. These things run like $60 USD, then you can throw more money into graphics, ram etc. A few years later buy an i7 for pennies and throw it in.

Baum and Constantine Yevseyev say thanks.
  10. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    core i5 or higher

11. LeonVolcove

LeonVolcove

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for all advice, critics and suggestion for my first build, i will still hold my money until official Kaveri benchmark is out and reviewed(from Guru3d, Hexus, Kitguru, and many others). If turn out to be what i expected or better, i will buy it without second thought. If it worse i will think a better alternative like many of you suggest

Thanks Again.

Good day and good morning.

12. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Just remember the Comparison between Trinity and Richland (5800,6800)

13. Blue-Knight

Blue-Knight

Thanks Received:
    Where I live you build a super low-end PC (pentium (if you are lucky) and below, forget core-ix) and be happy! And that's if you don't need to buy monitor, of course.

Otherwise, you may be looking for an ITX PC.

I never used Windows 8. I just know that performance on Windows XP 64-bit is much greater than on Windows 7 64-bit.

Maybe because Windows 7 needs much more CPU power to maintain all the unnecessary things running.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  14. Constantine Yevseyev

Constantine Yevseyev

Thanks Received:
    4. You mean, do cheap motherboards drastically differ from middle-end ones in terms of lifespan and/or ability to struggle trough heavy load? No, they actually don't. Those three MB's I've mentioned are great for your tasks - you can see that they have the same electric components in their base as the higher class ones. However, you'll probably be more limited in overclocking and expanding abilities, but these are only two drawbacks.
    6. Usually, get 1 stick of 8 GB, unless you can find cheaper 2 x 4 GB sticks with comparable parameters.
    If you want to share your story, then go for it. It might just be some kind of a misunderstanding and/or delusion, so we'll be able to dispel them and you'll greatly benefit from it.

Baum says thanks.
  15. Pill Monster

Thanks Received:
    Don't use just 1 stick of RAM or you'll be running in single channel mode....

16. Constantine Yevseyev

Constantine Yevseyev

Thanks Received:
    Boo! What a disaster.
    We're talking about 2 or 3 percents difference in synthetic benchmarks and about 20 percent difference in price. I hardly doubt it's worth it even for a machine that uses system memory as VRAM, because I used to have one (AMD 785G), and all real-life apps used to run equally on both 2 x 1 GB (PC3-12800 CL10) and 2 GB (PC3-10600 CL9).

17. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    In theory in certain isolated tests, but dual channel will not improve performance in reality as 99% of applications are not memory bandwidth starved. We're at a point in technology where applications can't take advantage of the throughput. 1 stick will now will allow for expansion in the future.

Even the most Victorian and ancient CPU would not struggle to run any operating system. Operating systems take up a miniscule amount of processing power. The memory management and CPU management for in Vista, 7 and 8 would be significantly better than XP. This may not translate into gaming performance but in terms of navigating the OS and multitasking it would be night and day.

What difference does it make Kaveri is a low end APU? Understandably you're on a budget but your budget allows for a Piledriver X6 and a dedicated video card. I doubt Kaveri would compete with it as its for a different audience.

Constantine Yevseyev says thanks.
  18. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Heres a build sheet:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Pentium G3220 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor ($64.97 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.97 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock H81M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($49.99 @ Microcenter)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($83.00 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card ($95.38 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($37.99 @ Microcenter)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($65.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($82.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $577.27
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-11 15:30 EST-0500)

The haswell dual core should stomp any of the APU quad cores at single threaded stuff (aka games) and can be upgraded to a i7 or a xeon or something later if you want more performance 4 years from now. The GPU is a good deal at $100. 8GB of ram is a good number, gives you room to grow. The power supply is solid. I think the NZXT 210 is the best case for the money as well. Win7 home premium is my preference, w/e.

I picked 1150 instead of 1155 because theoretically the OP could update the bios to support broadwell if the socket is still in use, and extend the life of his computer when i5 and i7s get more affordable.

19. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    In the rig you spec'd Richland APU would be significantly faster in games as it can be crossfire with the Radeon HD 7750/7770. Although its a mismatch many reports show that this combination actually works?

20. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like a major headache tbqh for a first time builder

Baum says thanks.
  21. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    I'm not talking about a hack or anything dodgy. The Richland was designed for hybrid crossfire in mind. It's more or less plug and play with a 7750.

Crossfire aside, I was looking at some gaming reviews of the Trinity, Richland Quad and i3 3200 dual core, with a dedicated single 6670. With the exception of Skyrim, all 3 GPUs managed to drive about the same frame rates within margin for error. Had AMD had Hybrid CF enabled it would have been a one sided battle with AMD ontop. Also considering the i3 3200 was losing the non gaming tasks too I think AMD has the better budget solution.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a10-6700-a10-6800k-richland-review,3528-5.html
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a10-6700-a10-6800k-richland-review,3528-6.html

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. i3 3200 for sure if you're going intel, Trinity or Richland APU if you're going AMD. Better yet save for a Piledriver X6.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
    Vario says thanks.
  22. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Good info. That is quite an attractive prospect, I didn't know the A10 could crossfire with a card that capable, I thought it was all really bad cards. The 7750 is when I start to consider it a worthwhile for sure.

Another thought is if the OP can go used, theres amazing deals on 1336 era stuff right now on ebay, probably everyone from that time period dumped for haswell.

I think i7 920s average $60.

Dent1 says thanks.
  23. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    I think you're right to wait for Kaveri, as it's bringing some new features that could make it perform a lot better in games than it's predecessor - HSA, GCN, and Mantle to name the most important ones. It's possible that graphics performance could increase by 50% compared to the last generation. Single core performance is rumored to be up at least 10% (AMD claims 20%). This new APU could be the one that makes Intel start worrying - it could marginalize Intel's entire budget line from Core i5s on down. I'm sure the Santa Clara boys have something up their sleeve, but of course it will be more expensive than AMD's offerings.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
    Dent1 says thanks.
  24. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    I am hoping so, I would like to see AMD return to greatness, current stuff just barely cracks the Phenom II 980 and 1100t, I know that only finally with the latest stuff we are seeing significant improvements over the old K10, which was a pretty long time ago.

25. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    That system did not have the gpu power that current AMD APUs have, plus there are several reviews that show the more bandwidth you give AMD APUs the better the graphics performance becomes. Seeing as he wants to play games on this build, you're telling him to take a huge hit in performance. Not worth it.

In fact, according to results from Toms (here and here), you'd more then likely actually half your gaming performance going to single channel over dual channel. This is given since according to Tom's the percentage of performance increase is slightly less then the bandwidth increase (they get about 10% increase in game performance for about a 15% increase in bandwidth). Even going to something as dual channel 1600mhz ram (to save money) would have massive gains over the fastest single channel ram setup.

Going single channel ram over the slowest dual channel ram is bad advise.

Hood says thanks.