1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My First mATX Build need advise

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by evaseeker, Apr 14, 2012.

1. evaseeker

Thanks Received:
    hello everyone

long time reader first time poster.

I am planning to build a small gaming PC on simple rules and remarks that i need to follow:

1. some stuff can be bought from Newegg, rest can be local.
    2. need to use Corsair H80.
    3. need high end VGA card but with very low noise output at least on idle.
    4. forget DVD.
    5. forget overclocking
    6. i am using some gigabyte 1366 MB with i7-960 + random 24GB ram + a 6970 2gb and i am already not satisfied with the performance even on 1 monitor on 1920 × 1080 setting
    7. the 6970 is a Sapphire 2GB ver which idle on 48c and hover on 60 while browsing:banghead: which is annoying and noisy on both temps.
    8. using a well ventilated thermal take case with 3x intake 120mm fans + 1x exhaust 120mm + 1x exhaust 220mm

the plan is to go with these parts:

1: SilverStone TJ08
    2: CORSAIR H80
    3: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 3GB OC Version the one with 2 x fans
    4: local random SSD-HDD and can remove hdd cage no big deal
    5: local random 16-8x2gb RAM
    6: any PSU that will fit the TJ08 possibly Corsair Modular 850w plenty in local to choose from.
    7: either a local random mATX 1155 MB + i7-2700-2600 or local random mini ITX 1155 MB + CPU 2700-2600

so the question is, if i go with mini ITX is it possible to use the above build with a smaller case than the TJ08?

also the other way around, is it a waste to use ITX in the TJ08 or is it too crowded to use mATX in the TJ08 with the above build.

please don't waste the time asking why i am getting bad temps etc etc, i tried multiple things, cleaning resetting etc etc but i already decided to forget about it and go with a new build ;)

thanks a lot:) and your input is appreciated:D

2. AnomalouS

AnomalouS

Thanks Received:
    I built a micro for a buddy in 2010. There was no room for a 7970 in there, but that was a much smaller case.

Reading the reviews on that TJ08 and the first one points out longer gfx cards are problematic.

however the manufacture reply is: I would call or email them and ask directly.

3. Vulpesveritas

Vulpesveritas

Thanks Received:
    I would recommend a HIS Radeon HD 7870, 7959, or 7970, or an EVGA Geforce GTX 680.
    and Perhaps a Seasonic x-series PSU?

evaseeker says thanks.
  4. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Was just about to mention the same, Anomalous. May want to look at the SUGO series of cases instead or choose a different gpu.

AnomalouS says thanks.
  5. AnomalouS

AnomalouS

Thanks Received:
    I really don't think that 7970 or a GTX580/680 would fit. I took my 580 to a buddies house to test something and it barely fit in his case, after moving the hard drives... He had a 560ti which is a tiny little guy...lol

Biggest question is why the micro case? Are you limited in available size for the case location?

6. AnomalouS

AnomalouS

Thanks Received:
    check out the Rosewill FBM-01

I am building this for my dad and know it will fit a GTX580.

evaseeker says thanks.
  7. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    First off I just finished a build with the PS-07 (exactly the same inside):

- That case will definitely fit a 7970- the HDD cage is specially built to brace the rear of the card (there is even a small rubber pad on the cage to protect the card.
    - Any mATX case will be crowded but Silverstone did well to make that case a good fit
    - DO NOT use a modular PSU- there is no room between the optical drive bay and the PSU for the modular plugs*
    *note- there is plenty of room behind the MB tray for extra cables
    - The self contained water coolers should fit fine in the case (push/pull fans may also be possible)
    - spacing between the HDD cage and the Mobo are a little tight- SSD's are fine but you may need to move around any 3.5" drives for the best fit.

I may have a pic of my build here somewhere- will update this post with the link if I find it... EDIT found it ;)

PS-07 link: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2582895&postcount=20115

Good Luck with the build :toast:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
    evaseeker says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. AnomalouS

AnomalouS

Thanks Received:
    Best advice you could ask for there.

Norton says thanks.
  9. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Im not sure you'll see much of a boost in perf...
    Im running a 2500k and a GTX570 and I have no lag at the same resolution... which games are having issues with?

10. evaseeker

Thanks Received:
    That was some nice posts guys, i really appropriate your inputs.

yes i forgot to mention:p i am not limited to a certain size, but i want to have the smallest possible size with close to maximum performance or at least more than what i have already.

well all sort of games, the usual suspects WoW,ME3,League of Legends,Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning,Batman Arkham City,Alice Madness Returns.

i always need to turn down a thing or two a bit to get perfect performance, its by no mean laggy or slow. but Alice for example is really laggy even after the claimed fixes.

not all these games suffer, but lets say if some does, its time to move up!

thanks for the advise!

but whats the reasoning behind that PSU is it on the quite side of PSUs?

only big difference is the two front fans instead of the 1? two front fans will give me more choices for fans than the AP181 gives, as newegg have only 3 x 180 fans all being from silver stone.

i wont use the optical drive, though i might use a 5.25 to 3.5 converter that uses 2 5.25, not sure if it is shorter than normal DVD drive but its no biggy :D

thanks again guys! :toast:

11. Norton

Thanks Received:
    True there are more options with 120mm fans.... for the same rpm and design, 2x120mm fans can output about 90% of the flow of a single 180mm fan.

The PS-07 is essentially the same case as the TJ-08 with only some minor cosmetic, feature, and price differences (PS-07 is cheaper).

FYI- The build I referenced was silent and ran cool with the cooler (Xigmatek Gaia) and vid card (HD6670 with AC cooler) I used.:cool:

evaseeker says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. evaseeker

Thanks Received:
    true true :D

though after market coolers that need to be installed never worked with me, i always mess things up:banghead: that's why i need one with good cooler out of the box, so i would say any of the custom 7970 would be enough;)

13. Norton

Thanks Received:
    I always try to get a good cooling solution from the factory as well, the AC cooler on the 6670 was a factory install from HIS :toast: I believe that I wouldn't have an issue with installing one but the premium you pay for a card with a decent custom cooler is less than buying a reference card and a separate cooler (=win/win in my book):D

The cooler on that Sapphire you linked to looks like it will do the job just fine...

evaseeker says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU