1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My Graphics card or Computer itself?..need some info.

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by SlipSlice, Feb 20, 2007.

1. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, well every since I have had this computer, it has been running quite well. Until I started messing with certain things. About a week ago, I was wondering why it takes about 5 minutes to get smoothe in certain games, such as BF2, and GRAW. So I put more ram in..like 2 gigs.. Only 1 Gig was what my motherboard speed is..the other 2 sticks were pc2700.. well it fixed my game lag when i got in in BF2, but graw still takes a sec. Which leads me to think it might be my pagefile. KTR suggested i make a pagefile, he said that would make it run better, and faster in games. It helped a little, but didn't make no performance boost really, so i deleted it.. Now I don't know what the partition should be when I go to Start>Control Panel>System>Advanced>Change. (See Attachment on Pagefile screeny). So as you can see in the attachment, I have it set to System managed size. Every since I have messed with those to things, I have already lost quite a few FPS in certain games. I don't know what is going on.:shadedshu

GAMES AND MY COMPUTER VS. MY FPS

CS:S---28FPS-85FPS..AROUND 50AVG. :shadedshu
    BF2---45FPS-90FPS..AROUND 60-65 AVG.
    G.R.A.W---35FPS-65FPS..AROUND 50 AVG.
    F.E.A.R---50FPS-140FPS..AROUND 70 AVG.

Some games play better than others according to how much ram they take of course..but once my computer has fully loaded the map after like 20 minutes, I will hit some spikes.. That is why I am thinking it is my HD partition.:eek:

Now going by those FPS, im sure you figured out that those are good. But in every game, I was getting at least like 20 more on the max, and 10 more on the avg. So that is why I started this thread. I am loosing FPS from nothing that I have really did.

Thing I think it might be
    HD partition
    Internet connection
    Video Card drivers
    Ram of Course

The only things I have messed with was the HD partition in my system control panel. So I was wondering if you guys have any ideas on what I can do to fix this.

Please list all your details on how I can check my whole computer to see what is going on. Sry that I didn't really post enough information, I am in sort of a rush, I have quite a-lot of homework to get done tonight.

Please post up guys.

S1iP
    :ohwell:

Attached Files:

2. Scavar

Scavar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Was all the memory running at the same speed and timings?

The Geforce 7 Series drivers are pretty stable and decent in XP if you have the newest ones. So I don't think it would be that.

Try running a checkdisk, and memtest.

It might also be possible that for whatever reason things are running hotter then they should and that could be affecting stuff :/ Not musre myself though.

3. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    run system cleanup and defrag...

4. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, not with the other gig of mixed ram in there. So I took it out. Now im down to 1GIG again, in dual channel, at the same speeds. So i should be good there now.

Think I should erase drivers, and reinstall just in case?

I ran memtest, i went to 105% and no errors, so i stopped it. I haven't ran checkdisk yet, I will do that tommorow and let you know what i get. Should I check "Automatically fix system Errors"? Or "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors"? I Know checking those boxes take it longer, but i am concerned on whether i should or not. just let me know please.

Nah, my temps are quite cool. I dont' really have anything overclocked very much anyways. :)

Thanks.

To KTR
    Just did a defrag last night, and for diskcleanup, i use CCleaner. But i ran diskcleanup anyways just to make sure.

Thanks guys..keep the help and suggestions coming please.

S1ip

5. Jadawin

Jadawin

Thanks Received:
    First, I would put that RAM back in.
    Second, I would set the pagefile to a fixed size of 2048 MB min and max.
    Third, it doesn't matter where it is, because it's still on the same physical harddisk
    Fourth, after setting the pagefile to a fixed size, defrag again and I would recommend anything else than the build in defrag, which just shuffles around a bit and doesn't help at all.

6. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
  7. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    I moved my pagefile to a central part on the hd, a little increase...

8. Scavar

Scavar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I always check both when running checkdisk, do run that scan ktr linked up. You can try the pagefile stuff as well.

If you feel like going through it user driver cleaner pro, get rid of the drivers and download the latest one again. Worth a try.

9. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok kewl.. i did the diskcheck, and everything seemed fine.. it took like an hour probably but ohh well I got some fps increase by around 5 maybe...dont sound like a-lot but it does make a difference in some situations.

Just a few questions

On GRAW (for the people who play it of course) is 50 FPS average, and sometimes 65 FPS avg good? My system is not overclocked none right now..graphics, cpu, etc. etc. its all at stock.. And I run the game at 1024X768@85htz, with everything maxed, 16XAnthiscoping. Does that sound about right to you? Just wondering, thanks for all the help though everyone.
    :toast:

S1iP

10. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    bump...

nobody has any clue if those are good FPS> that is all im asking.

11. anticlutch

anticlutch New Member

Thanks Received:
    CS:S---28FPS-85FPS..AROUND 50AVG.
    BF2---45FPS-90FPS..AROUND 60-65 AVG.
    G.R.A.W---35FPS-65FPS..AROUND 50 AVG.
    F.E.A.R---50FPS-140FPS..AROUND 70 AVG.

For CS:S 28fps should be noticably choppy... I'd suggest that you do something to get this up to at LEAST 35-40fps. Personally, I can't play at under 45fps because I get annoyed but it's a matter of preference.

BF2 and FEAR, you get pretty good framerates, so nothing needs to be improved upon here IMO. I won't say anything about GRAW since I don't have firsthand experience with it :D

12. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the reply on what you think. I ran a bunch of tests, and I have brought my frames up a little. This is only a 7900GS, been better if it was an XT, but I love it.
    And on CS:S, I think i was having internet issues that day, and haven't tested it since then . I guess my computer was just having a bad day, ya know?
    Thanks guys.

S1iP

13. anticlutch

anticlutch New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you can, try SLI'ing your card :D
    If not... your framerates are good enough so it should be fine for a while :)

14. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wish i could go SLi, but this board doesn't have 2 PCI-E slots.. Only one. I know I should of gotten a SLi Motherboard, but i was in a rush.