1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My HD3850...

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Xolair, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Xolair New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just got my ''copy'' today. :toast:

Here's a few shots for starters:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r150/Xolairs_bucket/HD_comparison.jpg
    ^ Heh, a size comparison between my old Radeon X1650 Pro and the new HD3850 (oops, the X1650 is facing the wrong way).

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r150/Xolairs_bucket/HD_layout.jpg
    ^ I love the design of the card, although it could be a bit shorter to my taste.

The installation was fairly easy, at least it actually seemed easier than installing the X1650 back in the day, no weird ''clasps'' on the way. Anyhoo, managed to get it functional without too much hassle, the exact opposite what I had predicted. Haven't ran any tests on it yet, but it seemed that NFS: Prostreet hadn't gotten any faster at all (!) judging from the short test I managed to run, and the opening-videos of Crysis, along with the main menu lagged like it would've had 2048*1600 res at least... :twitch:

Dunno if it's all because of drivers, or something, but will install 3DMark06 again and try to benchmark it to see if something's ''wrong''.

P.S. Now the linkies should work... if not, then I'll go and eat my own head. What ever way that is possible.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  2. nguyenpeter76 New Member

Thanks Received:
    btw links dont work.

update: fixed now

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  3. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    No offense Xolair. But isn't the 4core-VSTA's PCI-e 16x slot limited to 4x bandwith? That may be the cause.

I doubt your seeing a gpu bottleneck from the processor.

4. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    do you have a reference design card with standard clocks and 256 mb gddr3? if yes, please send me the bios asap :)

5. Xolair New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I have that mobo but I SERIOUSLY doubt the bottleneck would be that huge. I might be wrong, which might be the case. But, from what I saw from Crysis and all, it seemed it was actually slower than before... :laugh:

@ W1zzard: I could send you the bios... if I knew how to get it. :D

6. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Probably just drivers, you know ATi's drivers get better and better with the newer cards.

EDIT: Speaking of driver's have you tried new mb chipset drivers @ www.viaarena.com

7. Xolair New Member

Thanks Received:
  8. nflesher87

nflesher87 Staff

Thanks Received:
    mobo is my guess, though that score doesn't seem to me to be horribly far from what it should be

9. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    no, it's the fact that the pci-e slot only operates at x4.
    i had this problem with my 775dual-vsta.

10. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    to extract your hd3850 bios use http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/854/Winflash_2.0.0.2.html

11. Xolair New Member

Thanks Received:
    ^ Okay... might try that out. :p

Anyway, here's another benchie I did, dunno if that tells more about my ''problem''.

Attached Files:

• Fur.jpg
      Fur.jpg
      File size:
      135.6 KB
      Views:
  12. ghost101

ghost101 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll see what i get with my processor at 2.4ghz and default clocks. Itll probably be ~9k.

13. Xolair New Member

Thanks Received:
    OMG, just tried Crysis again and the menu/videos lag (5 FPS or so), it's a pain-in-the-ass to navigate. Then, in-game there's artifacts and tearing (the main character's hands or something are tearing and cover the whole screen) etc... what the hell is going on? Would the hotfix correct out this mistake, or what? How do you install it btw, must you uninstall your old drivers or can you install it on top of your current ones? :twitch:

14. Xolair New Member

Thanks Received:
    ^ Yeah, thanks.

Seems like a true bottleneck on my behalf, will try to OC my CPU a bit tomorrow and see if it improves. Who knows... :(

15. Xolair New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dammit, it still does the weird artifacting- and stretching thingy. Dunno if the drivers installed properly, or... :twitch:

The performance seemed decent, but what good is it if you can't see nothing except weird stretches and artifacts everywhere.

16. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like a major bus limitation....Try reinstalling drivers, or better yet in another rig.

17. Xolair New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh god. Tried Garry's Mod (for HL2) and it gave the exact same kind of error as Crysis does. Same kind of weird texture glitches and stretches...

Can it be 'cos of overheating, since my card CERTAINLY isn't overclocked, or is my card going broken/already is? Or a worse option; might it have something to do with my 4x PCI-E speed?!! :eek:

18. jpierce55

Thanks Received:
    Maybe it does not like the CRT?

19. techie81

techie81 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The mobo limitation should only affect synthetic benchmarks. As far as 3dmark my x2 6000 and my x1950xtx get 6300 so it sounds like some sort of driver issue.

20. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I have the same board as you and get almost the same score and my system setup is nearly exactly the same as yours, its not the card, its the board, my 3850 has the same problem but it does not affect games nearly at all, I can play oblivion on ultra @ 720P and Carbon at medium with no probs

crysis on the other hand!!!

but you are being limited by my guess, your losing 15% of its performance just like me, also if your getting terrible performance then your card might be stuck in 2d mode, i noticed this on oblivion

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  21. ness New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh yeah, that is rather horribly far from what it should be. That's a pretty beefy processor, and I only run an overclocked x2 3800+ and I'm pushing 9,000 3dmark with my 3850.

I'm still trying to figure out the best drivers for performance and stability for overclocking - what are your experiences thus far?? has anybody done any comparisons between 7.10 / 7.11 or the Hotfix drivers -- how about third party apps like atitool - so far I've found these tools to be very glitchy. The price one pays to test new technology, and I'm sure ATI works out any kinks with quick driver updates.

22. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    rivatuner works perfectly for my 3850

23. Xolair New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okeydokey, guess I'll try:

• 1. Reinstalling my drivers
    • 2. Testing ATITool that if it artifacts, even at stock clocks
    • 3. Test Crysis etc. and take some screenshots of the issues, if they still exist

Now when I try to remember, I didn't see much artifacting in NFS: Prostreet to be honest, 3DMark06 did show maybe one error that I managed to spot, but it went through fairly flawlessly. Then, I think I tried to install the hotfix for my drivers, maybe that could be causing the error? :wtf:

24. papubhai New Member

Thanks Received:
    ati tool help needed

hi guys i need the latest update for atitool as there is no available updates on this website .also help me adjusting fan speed for my his hd 3850 card i can set speeds with rivatuner but i like atitool i wanna use atitool plz help me ASAP;...

also post the max overclocking u people have got
    i have got stable at
    759/1150 getting 11710 3d marks on my e6750 running msi p6n sli platinum with 2GB corsair xms 2 pro 5400c4

25. Xolair New Member

Thanks Received: