1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My i5 2500 CPU idling at 50 degrees celcius

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by happy, Jan 16, 2012.

1. happy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys I just finished one of my builds and this one is the gaming one. I just looked at the temperature in the MSI bios and it states that my CPU is hoovering around 50 degrees celcius. I have more than enough super fast airflow fans in my case blowing at, on top, and out the haf 922 case. I just cant seem to know why it is so hot? Can anyone help? Am I doing something wrong?

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Listing your system specs would help along with posting a screenshot of your temps, voltage, etc.

3. happy New Member

Thanks Received:
    system spec:
    PSU Corsair 650w TX
    CPU i5 2500
    GPU HIS 6950 2gb
    MEMORY 8GB Kingston 1600mhz
    MOBO MSI Intel P67 (B3) ATX DDR3 1066 Intel - LGA 1155 Motherboards P67S-C43 (B3)

I cant take a screen shot because I am using a laptop and at the moment I turned off my rig so that nothing horrible will go wrong.

I'll see if I could find a camera.

4. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    50 is high for idle. It should be around 32 with the stock HS and fan. But thats not whats important. Whats important is what it is underload. I would reseat the HS and fan after cleaning all the thermal compound and applying new. google it or go to Artic Silver web sit for detailed instructions.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/#

5. happy New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok, imma take out the stock cooler first and see what happens after.

6. happy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried everything. Even worse the one of the stock cooler's pins won't lock in tight on the motherboard. What should I do. The cpu is still idling at 50 degrees celcius just in the boot menu. The only thing I did was add a new CPU and MOBO to an existing SSD that already has OS installed from a previous rig. I also have a couple HDD that are plugged in from my other rig; is this causing the super hot temperature?

7. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Its the pin thats causing the problem. Intel's stock coolers are a little tricky. Mount the cooler when the motherboard is out of the case then you dont have to push down so hard. The trick is the top of the pin should be turned in the opposite direction of the arrow to install. Lock down the corners in a cris cross pattern Read the instructons. To remove you turn in the direction of the arrow.

About your drives. No there not causing the problem. But you need to format the SSD and reinstall if you change the motherboard to different type

Read this: http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-032258.htm

8. LDNL

LDNL

Thanks Received:
    Well theres your problem.

9. hooj

hooj New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can i just ask a quick question in here as it's related? I am just wondering which number do i look at on the mobo bios for my CPU temp. Is it the Fahrenheit or the Celsius?

10. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Ether, but most people talk in Celsius sense we are from all over the world

hooj says thanks.
  11. hooj

hooj New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, so if mine reads lower than the OP's in Celsius then i should be good to go, yep?:toast:

12. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Well like I stated. The i5 Idle about 28c to 35c but its the heat under load thats important. Stock mine was 32c and 61c under a load. Tested with prime95 running 100% on all cores

hooj says thanks.
  13. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Doesn't BIOS put the CPU under some load which can cause the temperature increase while being viewed in BIOS?

hooj says thanks.
  14. happy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, well I've been fiddling with that 4th pin of the cpu fan, trying to nudge it to lock to the motherboard; however it just seems that it is not tight enough. I wouldn't say it is super loose, but if I was to put some force just pulling on the lever the pin will come out. The other three pins seems to be fine, just this 4th one doesn't seem to be tightening. I would force it down even more hard but I rather just ask you guys if I should buy a cheap CPU fan and apply some cheap coating on it again. Will this solve the problem?
    Could it be that I didn't place the CPU itself correctly?

Thanks

hooj says thanks.
  15. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    There are cheap options which do not use push pins.
    The CPU coolers like what Jetster and I have are cheap and easy to install, although initially you do need to take out the motherboard to attach an aftermarket back plate which is supplied with both coolers.
    Not too sure if my cooler is available anymore though.
    Might have been replaced by the EVO.

hooj says thanks.
  16. happy New Member

Thanks Received:
    So the problem with the high temperature (50 celcius) is because of that 1 loose pin(But it only goes loose when I pull it out with a bit of force)? So if that is the problem I guess I rather spend about 20 dollars to get a decent CPU fan and some new liquid thing right? I just finished my other build which is an i5 750, 8gb Memory, Win 7, Gigabyte P55 USB3, ATI 5670 without a hitch. This build has only one small fan, yet everything is super cool. I even used eyefinity to put some load on the GPU yet the CPU is still under 35 degrees celcius. What am I doing wrong with this build?

Jetser: I think that the pins are screwed up on the CPU fan. I tried turning to open yet it just locks.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
    hooj says thanks.
  17. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    I can not say if the temperature reading is a direct result of the CPU cooler possibily not making proper contact or just CPU load in BIOS.

I would either make sure the CPU cooler is locked down firmly or look for another CPU cooler for peace of mind.

hooj says thanks.
  18. happy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Would a 25 dollar CPU cooler be good enough?

hooj says thanks.
  19. hooj

hooj New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, you can pick up a decent cooler for 25$ AFAIK.

20. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    I personally do not have any suggestions for aftermarket CPU coolers at $25 US which are capable of cooling an i5 2500.

They are out there though.

21. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    First, in BIOS the CPU shows higher temp than idle, probably the clocks are set at default 3300MHz so 50C is not so dramatic for stock cooler. You should check with realtemp what's in idle - 1600MHz - and under heavy load - turbo. Anyway, a Cooler Master 212+ would be great for little money.

happy says thanks.
  22. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    This is the CPU cooler I have and is going for $29 USD.
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatp...

Does a good job, especially for the price and also leave you worry free of those stupid push pins.

As crap Daddy verifies what I have said, the temperatures in BIOS are showing the CPU under some load which is what I thought does happen while in BIOS.

So once you get into windows and the CPU is at idle state the temperature will drop.

But still the CPU cooler sounds like it does not attach properly for whatever reason.

happy says thanks.
  23. happy New Member

Thanks Received:
    How do you check the clocks? I've been searching everywhere in the bios trying to find the voltage of the CPU, and the mhz. What name is it under?

24. happy New Member

Thanks Received:
    How do you see CPU temp in windows? I thought you could only see it in the Bios?

When I look at CPU temp in bios in my other rig, it idles around 35 celcius.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  25. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    happy says thanks.