1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My latest toy

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by W1zzard, Dec 7, 2013.

1. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Just looks nicer. Got a TUF board from ASUS in the meantime. First I thought it would help to avoid hot spots that draw the FLIR's attention, but I figured out how to adjust the "targeting" rectangle, to limit the area that is evaluated for the temperature cursor.

very difficult to properly record a monitor with a physical camera

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  2. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    It does look cleaner, and I did not think about the motherboards heat.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Clone screens and use a capture card to capture the stream from the second output, or use FRAPS or the like to record it? Also could record the serial output into a text file using a batch.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  4. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    Hmm seems complicated. I rather record to separate video streams and combine in my video editing program. Bonus challenge is doing all the recording without noise to not affect the noise recordings

5. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Which is why I was suggesting to capture the soundless screen directly with noise output shown in GPU-z from the serial port, then record the whole thing with your second camera and the Db level shown becomes the reference point for everyone, and it isn't subjective in recording or playback volume as long as the user is willing to take a few seconds to use a Db meter in their phone.

Unless the FLIR camera or the second camera make noise there is nothing to interfere with the noise readings.

http://www.codeguru.com/cpp/i-n/net...php/c5425/Serial-Communication-in-Windows.htm

What is GPU-z written in?

6. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
  7. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    But YouTube people want audio in their movies

tacosRcool says thanks.
  8. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Yes, you take the first video (screen capture) with no audio and the second video (from camera) with audio and combine them, left side of the screen is your FLIR image, and GPU-z showing Db, and the right side is your render and or your setup video with audio.

I am mainly suggesting the screen capture as the video will be cleaner and should be able to read the text shown, plus you remove one additional video to work with later.

9. tacosRcool

tacosRcool

Thanks Received:
    I hope the human kind!

10. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Record intel stock heatsink sound as benchmark, or use your fancy sound device and tell us how loud it is.

11. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
    Great :toast: I'm looking forward to GPU thermal imaging in reviews ... I suggest having multiple temperature readout points on the thermal image

12. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks good to me:toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    The qubit approvez of this new toy. :D

14. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    That's awesome

15. kn00tcn

kn00tcn

Thanks Received:
    what's the price?

if only there was a way to measure how much a backplate helps... but wait, that only helps the memory chips, it may even be worse on the pcb, trapping heat

16. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    As far as sound playback it is mostly irrelevant for specific 'calibration' as everyone has different hearing levels and discerns sound differently. All you need as some have said is to ensure the recording and benchmarking is performed under exact circumstances (i.e. distance and ambient). It might help for us to calibrate if there is a 5 second test calibration with an everyday sound, such as a voice - that way we can turn our volumes to match what we expect (again as we prefer different volumes). All you would be required to do is ensure the 'calibration' sound is tied to a specific set volume.

Actual dB levels are not as important as how it sounds. Many people/reviewers report some cards with higher dB ratings but a softer less intrusive sound. I think a calibration sound level followed by the actual noise output is sufficient - most people do not understand the dB scale and it is neither linear or absolute. What you hear can be subjective - lets face it, some people state the 290X isn't that loud at full tilt when to me it's horrendous (gauged by various you tube and your own clip).

qubit says thanks.
  17. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
    In case of test video I calibrated my volume so that card is barely audible at the beginning. I suppose that's good enough to experience card noise realistically at full load. I'm not sure if special calibration segment is necessary, although it would make whole thing seem more professional :) maybe just one tone classified as 'barely audible' (-40 dB http://www.wavecor.co.uk/TestDisc/Track08.flac) so we can calibrate on that

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
    alwayssts says thanks.
  18. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    When do we get to see it in action?

19. alwayssts

alwayssts

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for this.

It made me realize I probably should keep my headphones slightly lower (audible at ~14% in vlc...usually have them at 20-30% because music).

Also, it really puts perspective on why 80c is/was a design target....

20. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    probably a few more weeks. I'm moving to another apartment right now, don't want to waste time with the setup in the old apartment, only to have it do again a bit later

alwayssts says thanks.
  21. alwayssts

alwayssts

Thanks Received:
    We all appreciate it, and now also know why the guy many of us who's opinions and testing we trust the most is one of the scant few in the upper echelon without a customed-cooled Hawaii review under his header...:lovetpu:

22. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    I can see it now, the neighbors call the cops thinking you were a terrorist with all the electrical testing stuff, landlord comes in and freaks out thinking you are making nukes, and the long beard and pointy hat didn't help.

Chevalr1c says thanks.