1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My Lian Li PC71 Mod - getting ready for BF3

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by DrunkenMafia, Sep 8, 2011.

1. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    God I love PC's :) Great job so far mate.....at some point I'm going to be pimping up my case and maybe even looking into some water cooling, it interests me greatly but so far I have never had the balls to learn about it.

2. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Yes, a 90 (or maybe even a 45) will fix this. If you do go with a 90, you might need something like this because of the grills on the rad:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...t_info&cPath=59_346_393_616&products_id=26457

It's basically a 10mm extension and it works great when there needs to be just a little more room under a fitting.

DrunkenMafia says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    So many pointless things done here. Have fun with it I guess.

4. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    Thanks man, I will keep that in mind, I agree with a 45, it should work ok as long as its not to high. :toast:

5. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    What ru on about? Wrong thread maybe. Please elaborate.. :shadedshu

6. mATrIxLord New Member

Thanks Received:
    very nice rig you got there dude.... awesome job.... :D

7. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Well the entire system is liquid cooled, but 4 120mm fans are placed in the top of the case. While the radiator that is cooling everything is in the bottom of the case. There is simply no reason to chop up the top of the case like that when the air circulation is not needed and far away from the heat absorption system.

It makes more sense to only cut 3 120mm slots in the top. 1 to assist the PSU with cooling and turn it up-side-down and 2 for the radiator to be placed in the top. Alternatively you could have only cut 2 new slots for the rad and used the already existing fan spaces above the PSU to help cool it.

Now after a look at the new pictures there seems to be a quad rad in the ceiling of the case so I am curious to see if he switches over to that exclusively and what will happen with the bottom 120 cut outs.

8. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    I don't think you read the whole thread, as there's a 480mm rad in there. The 240mm rad at the bottom is just to help reduce temps between the cards.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    Yeah there is a quad rad in top of the case. Like T-ski mentioned the bottom 240mm rad is between the 2 card to help reduce temps. And getting rid of some of the heat from the first card does make a big difference on overall system temp. It also keeps my feet warm in winter. :)

Pretty shit first comment btw. :shadedshu

10. Bri5150 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Want to build the same

I have that exact case and want to build my first water system. I'm going to copy yours. :) Can you tell me how thick the rads & fans you used are? It looks to tight I want to make sure I get the same thickness. I think I am going with a ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 motherboard and dual 780's. Also any tips or problems you ran into with this case.

Thanks,

Brian

11. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    Hey Brian, I just replied to your PM too mate. I still have the same case and love it, heaps of room and still looks good.

My top rad is just a standard swiftech 480mm rad, specs and drawings in link below:

http://www.swiftech.com/mcrx20-qp-radiator-series.aspx#tab3

I drilled out a lot of the rivets in the case to remove the motherboard tray, its not hard, I cut holes in it etc and simply riveted it back in when finished. Overall is an easy case to work with. The top of the case is also riveted on, I drilled them off and the top comes right off, I mounted the rad and fans (fans on top) then simply screwed the top back on using machine screws in the old rivet holes. Now I can take the top off easily to clean etc.

Don't worry about space, there is heaps, but I had to mount the dvd drive in the lowest slot just above the dual bay res. It won't fit in the top slot as the top rad hoses come out there.

I also found that I cant use the lowest slot on my mb as the lower rad gets in the way. So check the pcie slot spacing on your new motherboard if you want to mount a lower rad the same way I did. If I were to do it again I would have mounted it on its side or something and not like it is in my case. A single 480mm rad is probably enough depending on your climate (its bloody hot here)

feel free to shoot me any questions etc.

12. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    never seen this mod.

its friggin awesome how we can mod with so little and make it look so great!

13. Bri5150 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Water build

From that link, it looks like your rads are 34mm thick. It gets hot in my game room in the summer and was thinking of going with a 480 x 60mm thick. Do you think if your top rad was twice as thick, it would still fit? How many of the top 5 1/4" bays do you think I would lose? I want to run 2 - 780GTX's and do some OC'ing of everything. If I went with a 480x60, do you think it would be enough or would you still add a bottom rad to run between the 2 780 video cards? If I'm going to build this, I want to do it once. :) I'm new to water cooling so I'm not even sure if I need more than one pump if I went with your setup, just want to use 60mm rads for max cooling.

Brian

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  14. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    Hey man, If you look at the pic above looking through the front of the case you can see the available space between the rad and the power supply. That is all free space and it way more than 60mm, considering you only need an extra 30mm. It shouldn't be a problem at all. You won't be able to mount your dvd drive in the top 2 expansion slots. I used the bottom one below the res/pump.

The GTX780 being a newer generation card is much more efficient than the old 5870 and depending on you ambient temp it shouldn't be a problem with one rad. Remember you have double the surface area being a 60mm thick unit so that is heaps. Just make sure you use decent fans on the rad. They need to have a good static pressure and not just CFM (cubit feet per minute). I haven't bought any fans for a while but I remember the Scythe GT fans were really good.

I also live in a very tropical area and it is hot, its middle of winter here now and got down to 18c this morning (yes I put a jumper on, Lol).

I also have a hot AMD 8 core processor, if you are using intel they are much cooler and will require less heating.

Good luck with it. WC is good fun. Just remember to do a good 8hr (overnight) leak check before powering up the system. Don't overtighten the fittings - this can crush/damage o-rings. Don't overtighten screws on waterblock. Oh and one common mistake first timers make - Check your screw lengths when putting fans on a radiator. If they are too long it can puncture the rad rendering it useless!!

:)