1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My Masterpiece of 3 Months: the Largest GTX690 Model ever

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by super8844, Nov 19, 2013.

1. super8844 Guest

Eventually, with three months’ hard work, I finished my ultimate works, a Lego Version GTX690 (175CM * 65CM) by overcoming difficulties of all kinds and spending nearly 10k Yuan and integrating 11,396 Lego blocks. Personally, I with a deep sense of achievement boast to be the world’s coolest NVIDIA-fan.
    [​IMG]
    My group picture with GTX690
    First, allow me to make a brief introduction. I am a super fan of NVIDIA and once visited NVIDIA’s US headquarters and got the signature of Mr. Jen-Hsun Huang. Moreover, I luckily became the administrator of NVIDIA’s official Sina Weibo account. I believe that I must be the happiest NVIDIA-fan in the world.
    [​IMG]
    I once visited NVIDIA’s US headquarters and got the English and Chinese signatures of Mr. Jen-Hsun Huang. I am the coolest NVIDIA-fan ever.
    Several months ago, I saw a graphics card made of Lego blocks by an A-fan on the Internet. The making of this card was so rough and its shape so ugly that I could not believe that this person was dubbed as the world’s coolest A-fan.
    [​IMG]
    The making of this card was so rough
    [​IMG]
    Oh, my goodness, these interfaces were coarsely made
    Then, I can’t stand it. Next I will brief you how I made my works. My original idea was to use Excel software to adjust all the cells into small squares. Then I made a draft according to the color layout of GTX690 by the true square filling propositions. Lastly, I delivered the draft to a Taobao vendor to evaluate the purchasing blocks.
    Unfortunately, the vendor didn’t understand this Excel chart at all and recommended me to use a Lego official modeling software to make the drawing. Oh, my God! This was all new for me. With the great helps of Lego QQ group members, I managed to learn how to use this software and successfully transformed the draft from the Excel format into a LEGO 3D version. However, I still had no reasonable solution on the fan. But I think maybe it could be solved later on.
    [​IMG]
    One may directly know the exact number of Lego blocks by exporting the target file in the software. I had thought that the problem was solved. But I encountered some more challenging issues at the time of purchasing. LEGO China only sells the packages rather than the bulk pieces. After consulting all the related people, I still could not find the answer. I got no choice but to resort to other vendors. However, during this process, I still encountered a big problem that none of them could supply such huge amount of pieces. Then I made some calculations and bought the pieces from several vendors. It took more than one week to collect all the parts required.
    [​IMG]
    As the basic blocks were received, the base plate of PCB was still not available. To save time, I decided to build some pre-made assemblies. Thus as long as the base plate was available, I could quickly finish the job by placing them onto the plate.
    [​IMG]
    The pre-made parts were nearly finished
    After I got the base plate, I found that there was a great gap between the theory and reality. Due to the slight differences of non-Lego vendors, batches and individual blocks, the gaps between the pre-made assemblies whose length was up to 50 length units became more evident. Due to the incompliance between the pre-made assemblies and base plate, they could not be joined together.
    [​IMG]
    I assembled some blocks while disassembling some. The bodies of pre-made parts were placed besides.

What should I do? After a huge struggle in my mind, I decided to start from scratch. My lesson was that one should not take short cuts and must do everything carefully and then he could succeed. I will not elaborate how I replayed in the base plate. Next, I must face the critical issue related to the fan. I learned that either you wanted to see it or not, the problem was always there.

To solve this issue, I consulted with some experts from the LEGO QQ group. But they all said that they had never done that before and offered no solution. Then, I used the blades of the electrical fan, which proved to be the worst option. However, as I got the blades, I found that its appearance was sharply different from that of GTX690. It would absolutely become a big mistake. Thus I gave up using it.
    [​IMG]
    I identified a regular hexagon. I removed the axle from the desktop electrical fan to save it as the rotatable axle of my GTX690 card
    [​IMG]
    I never realized that they matched with each other so perfectly.
    It seemed that I could only make a fan of LEGO version. By analysis, I figured out a seemingly feasible solution. First, I made a pivot of regular octagon. Then I made a supporting point from each side. On the supporting point, I placed the sloping sides. This solution proved to be perfect. As an old saying goes that a man can do everything in the desperate situation.
    Now please enjoy my masterpiece!
    qubit says thanks.
  2. super8844 Guest

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    blu3flannel says thanks.
  3. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Either you are the most nvidian fan ever or the most anal :p

That is indeed an impressive piece of Lego work anyway.

You should sell it to Nvidia as a advertising piece for $10k
  4. super8844 Guest

My Masterpiece of 3 Months: the Largest GTX690 Model ever Reply to Thread

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    manofthem says thanks.
  5. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    This looks fantastic, but you're gonna lose your posts, since the forum is gonna be transferred to new software in a few hours. See this thread:

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194771

I strongly recommend that you hit Edit against your posts and save them as a text file to repost once the transition has been made.
  6. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    As far as I'm concerned, you are the most dedicated nVidia fan ever!
  7. super8844 Guest

thank you
  8. z1tu

Thanks Received:
    Yes but, will it run Crysis?

Kidding aside, congratulations and I hope they give you a job there or at least some equipment.
  9. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    that's pretty sweet. nice project
  10. rougal

rougal

Thanks Received:
    Very Good Job... A True Nvidia Fanboy... Not a fanboy wannabe just like EE...
  11. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Well I guess it's apropos it's a large model because it takes a massive resolution to really get any value out of that card, esp considering it's massive price.
  12. Fluffmeister

Thanks Received:
    Extremely impressive work, a true work of art... just like the GTX 690. :toast:
  13. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Fantastic work! I love it :D
  14. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
    Looks great :toast: I can already see ... the next is a giant lego motherboard and giant lego rig build log
  15. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Mother of god that is amazing!

That would probably require all the legos in the world.
  16. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    Does it work?
  17. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    thats nice man, really like it:)
  18. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    Looks nice.

Now quad SLI lego should be your life's work.
  19. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    looks great but i dont see the point in these things since they dont have any moving parts and are purely cosmetic
  20. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    The point is that it is pure awesome sauce! Oh how I would feel so baller eith that in my room or on my wall, anywhere would be spectacular.
    Good. work :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    i wouldnt mind if the fan moved, since it doesnt, dont see the point.

he even used a computer tool to design and calculate the placements of the blocks

would be awesome if he did by hand and his own ingenuity.
  22. TheGoat Eater

TheGoat Eater

Thanks Received:
    That's insanely epic - nothing more that I can say than "damn!"
  23. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    He's a self confessed Nvidia fan and what he did required a huge amount of time and creativity. Using the computer model was required. If you have nothing interesting to say, don't say it. The effort to do that was huge - that in itself is an achievement. If Nvidia buy it from him, it'll then be 'worthwhile' in your books, otherwise it's classed as an artistic project.

In pragmatic terms, no form of creative endeavour is worthwhile. But without art and passion, life is dull.
  24. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    i would have been impressed if it were made with mechano though, guess im not just a lego person XD

i did have only one lego set, but have over 5 mechano kits since i was 5 years old, all the way till i was 16 even XD
  25. Arrakis+9

Arrakis+9

Thanks Received:

Those look like mega blocks not legos :confused: