1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My Mobo died. Need your advice :)

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by new_rez, May 30, 2009.

1. new_rez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,

Was having problems with my system a while ago. Turns out the memory had gone. Upgraded it and the GC (went for a 4770). Then everything was running fine.
    It looks like my motherboard has given up now, though :( Seems like its royally broken. I can get it to post if I take the battery out and leave it out for about an hour, then every time it posts it tells me the BIOS is corrupted. I re-flash the BIOS from a floppy PC restarts and nothing shows on screen. Repeat process and the same happens.

So, im looking for a new mobo. The current one is a gigabyte GA-965P-DS4. I would actually get one exactly the same as I absolutely love it, but it seems incredibly hard to find any.

I've had a look around at various gigabyte boards and have come up with these -
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5
    Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4

I cant choose between the two. Its down to the chipset, but im really not sure which is better with memory and which gives better overclocking results. Im hoping, as they are gigabyte boards they will be able to get my e6300 to 3ghz like my (now dead) DS4.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which of these I should go for? Or any other boards, in the same price range, that give good overclocking results?

Cheers

2. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Get the ASUS P5Q PRO
    better than those Gigabyte boards youre looking at:)

new_rez says thanks.
  3. sapetto

sapetto

Thanks Received:
    new_rez says thanks.
  4. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you OC?

new_rez says thanks.
  5. sapetto

sapetto

Thanks Received:
    new_rez says thanks.
  6. new_rez New Member

Thanks Received:
    I do. Managed to get this e6300 up to 3.3ghz on this DS4, but cooling wasn't enough to keep it there. Just keep it at 3Ghz usually. Keeps the temps low.

I was under the impression that the DS4/DS5 & DQ6 where better boards than the DS3? Also just read that the X48 chipset on the DS5 i linked is pretty good? ARG. Im so unsure what to get :( pretty sure it will be gigabyte though. <3

7. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you not considered ASUS?

8. qwerty_lesh

qwerty_lesh

Thanks Received:
    X48-DS5, you'll be very happy, its the closest quality you can get to your old 965-DS4.
    Those DS4's man, they sure were good. I still have one, it runs 24-7 and never has an issue.
    I only wish GIGABYTE still made motherboards with Marvell NIC's and with the under-board 'crazy cool' heatsinks.

Ahwell, their quality is still good, but that mobo that has unfortunatly died on you was of GREAT quality.

I should mention, the X48-DS5 might be getting difficult to get a hold of these days, with the mainstream chipsets like P45 being flooded everywhere.

Last edited: May 30, 2009
    new_rez says thanks.
  9. NastyHabits

NastyHabits

Thanks Received:
    The gigabyte P-35 will overclock just fine. The major difference between the two is how they handle crossfire. The X-48 is the clear choice if you want crossfire, otherwise chose the P-35. The gigabyte P-35 boards were overclocking champs of the P-35 chipset.

For the same price as the Gigabyte X48-DS5, you can get the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3P. Since you're used to the Gigabyte BIOS, it might be easier for you than a similar ASUS board.

While the ASUS P5Q Pro is the crowd favorite for the P-45 chipset - faster FSB and better crossfire support - some of us (like me) have had trouble with it. I have both a gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R and an ASUS P5Q Pro, and get better results with the older board. The ASUS P5Q Pro is the first and only ASUS board that has ever given me trouble. Admittedly it's probably just my bad luck, but my first one was DOA and the second one will not obtain any over-clocks worth talking about,

Finally, to my fellow ASUS P-45 board owners, please don't flame me. I'm not a novice, nor am I an idiot. ASUS makes great boards. I'll admit that I'm SURE I've just gotten a couple of lemons.

new_rez says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  10. LittleLizard

LittleLizard

Thanks Received:
    get the ud3p. Best ocer on a tight budget.

new_rez says thanks.
  11. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Have you checked if your mobo is under warranty?

new_rez says thanks.
  12. new_rez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ive had the motherboard for 2+ years...i think lol. Warranty has run out :(

Im very tempted by the X48 DS5 as I would like to throw in another 4770 at some point (Great cards). But on the other hand, if the older P35 boards are good overclockers I may look into them.
    I have been tempted by Asus, but have been put off by reports of duds D: even if the good things i've heard outweigh the bad.

Just thought i'd give the motherboard another chance to see if it would come to life. Shock horror, it is actually working....slowly. I'm wondering if flashing it again is worth a try. To tell the truth, it is actually running a 965P DQ6 f11 BIOS. Maybe that is the problem, although it has been running fine like that for over a year. Hmmm.

Still going to go for a new motherboard though. I really cant take any chances atm as I really need my main rig for work.

13. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    the one in my sig runs 16-8 pcie ;)

gets 600+fsb on Dual and 550 on Quads

new_rez says thanks.
  14. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: May 30, 2009
    new_rez says thanks.
  15. new_rez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, did a bit more testing. It actually looks like it maybe a memory problem as opposed to the actual motherboard.
    Currently its running with some OCZ reapers. Tested it with each stick and found that with one stick the computer booted fine, but with the other it did the thing its been doing (starts, no beep, turns off, starts again, no beep, stays on, nothing displayed on the screen). I did test it with 2 other sticks of RAM and it booted up fine.
    I also tested the reapers in each slot. As before, 1 was fine to boot, the other wasn't.

Would I be right in assuming this isnt a broken motherboard, just a mis-diagnosis and bad RAM?

If so im pleased as I have a lifetime warrenty on the RAM :D BUT, im still tempted by a new motherboard. Then again, if it aint broke...

16. NastyHabits

NastyHabits

Thanks Received:
    Beg, borrow, or steal two known good sticks to be absolutely sure, but it certainly looks like the one bad ram stick was causing your problem. It's happened to me before.

17. Studabaker

Studabaker New Member

Thanks Received:
    man your mobo must have been the *it in its time. i guess all your hardware was.

18. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    +1 for it being a RAM issue. I have never had good luck with OCZ, thought I love my XTC cooler...PAtriot for me. But alot recommend GSkill. Your mobo seems like it was awesome for its time though.

19. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
  20. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
  21. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received: