1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My Mobo has Alzheimers

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by UNDCTIATC, Apr 17, 2010.

1. UNDCTIATC

UNDCTIATC New Member

Thanks Received:
    Asus p7p55D-e pro

For some reason, after reading a bunch of BSOD's and memory dumps and halfassed programmed debugging software from Microsh*t, I noticed alot of AMD things being said. Well I have an i5 661 processor but things are saying that it is an AMD. The only amd chip in this rig is the video card.

But of course i cannot find the file that said i had an amd processor. When i went to install the Windows Dev Kit that had the crappy debugger in it, it wouldn't let me install the intel 64bit chip but it would let me install the 32bit version for both and the 64 bit version for amd.

My OS has been falling apart and im losing my mind. My computer stability has gone down hill significantly and i have no idea why. All my hardware checks out 100% and is all up to date. Nothing is OC'd anymore and it still crashes like a bastard sometimes once every 5 minutes, sometimes once a week.

Any help...very much appreciated.:banghead:
  2. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    You did try to reformat the hd and reinstall the OS fresh right?
    I'd just go ahead and back up any needed files then reformat and reinstall the OS, could fix it for you. Seems like something the OS could be causing but with all the bsod's I'm worried about hardware failure, pointing at the mobo.

Did you reset your bios as well by the jumper or the button?
    If not I would do that as well, make sure your pc is off and unplugged and also remove the battery.
    Let it sit for a sec then pop the battery in and hook it back up.
  3. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    try and set your ram at a fixed voltage not auto, might help
  4. UNDCTIATC

UNDCTIATC New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ill redo the os and repost. The most common error i see during the time of the BSOD's are either a kernel power error, but reading the details is because of the BSOD shutting windows down. And the second most common thing is a "bug checker" failed and caused a shutdown. What the heck is a bug checker?
  5. UNDCTIATC

UNDCTIATC New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anytime I try to set my ram to the specified voltage on the box, on the net, on the sticker fro cryin out loud, it fails. it is spec'd for 1.6v and a 7-7-7-24-2 timing.
  6. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    set some looser timing at recommended voltages, forget performance for now, lets get rid off the errors first...

Edit: reformat first then tell us how it goes....
  7. UNDCTIATC

UNDCTIATC New Member

Thanks Received:
    Since I hate reformatting with a passion, i tweaked the voltages. Computer has been stable for over 24 hours which was unheard of for the past week. Below are the listed voltages for the ASUS P7P55D-e Pro:

Ram(1.65v): G.Skill Ripjaw 1568mhz 9-9-9-24-4-74-10-5-20 2N
    CPU(1.325v): i5 (3.3Ghz) Running 4.32 Ghz at 30-50c
    IMC: 1.35v
    Dram: 1.65v
    CPU PLL: 1.8125v
    PCH: 1.0625v

The last two the pll and pch i bumped up one notch and the ram from 1.6 to 1.65. Any higher and the risk of dmg to the cpu is high. So far these settings have produced a stable system and the memory writing is no longer an issue. Thanks for all the help and suggestions: PROBLEM SOLVED :toast::roll:
  8. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    When Intel tried to do a 64-bit processor, they changed everything. It was not backwards compatible with 32-bit x86 processors of today. Intel called this Itanium or IA-64. Some time later, AMD managed to make a 64-bit processor that was backwards compatible with most everything 32-bit. It's sometimes referred to as AMD64 or x86-64. Intel, with their bushy little tails between their scrawny little legs, quickly admitted defeat and reverse engineered (aka: copied) AMD's 64-bit instruction set to use in their Intel processors. This reverse engineered copy is known as EM64T (or more recently Intel 64), but since it is a "compatible copy" of AMD's x86-64 instruction set, it can sometimes be detected as it.

This may be why you're seeing "AMD" in your processor information when you have an Intel CPU.

Also, check your voltages from your PSU with a multimeter. Your voltages may be quite low without you knowing it.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. UNDCTIATC

UNDCTIATC New Member

Thanks Received:
    Would the voltages on the BIOS page be right...they seem to be realtime.
  10. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you're thinking of AMD64, which is the standard for the OS you're on.

Intel 64 bit (IA64) could ONLY run x64 - no 32 bit backwards compatibility at all.

AMD64 (released after the athlon 64 CPU) could run 32 + 64 bit at the same time. AMD made it, so they named it. intel, via, whoever - they can all run on it.
  11. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    Hah. Beat you to that one, Mussels.

The voltages from your motherboard can be inaccurate since they rely on voltages from your computer to check other voltages from your computer. It is best to check with a calibrated multimeter.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
    UNDCTIATC says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. UNDCTIATC

UNDCTIATC New Member

Thanks Received:
    Roger. Thanks Stig! lol