1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My new 1080p 21.5" 2ms screen sucks compared to my old 17" Sony 23ms

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by vbx, Apr 1, 2010.

1. vbx New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, for those who have a 19" or larger screen. How far are you from the screen? Every time I'm on the new larger screen, I get eye strains... The colors are also way off and the text aren't a crips.

I'm using my laptop right now and I can see that the laptop is much easier on the eyes, the text are crisper... (I'm comparing the everest temp icons on the taskbars)...

On the 21.5 screen, the colors are way off. No matter how I adjust them. They seem way too saturated. And the temp icons look a little blurry.
    On the laptop, no adjustment are needed. It's using an onboard video and this laptop is about 5 years old. HPDV1700.

----
    Asus MS228H 21.5 2ms screen
    HD 4670

I'll try to get a comparison shot soon. I kinda regret selling my old monitor now.
    I mean its good for watching TV and movies, but for web surfing, I don't know. My eyes hurt.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  2. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    We have the same monitors at work. I had to turn the brightness down to 50 to make them more comfortable for browsing.

3. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    i use 23" and i'm probably a good 2' form the screen.

this is probably stupid but - are you sure it is displaying at the monitors native resolution?

4. vbx New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, monitor is set at 1900x1080 which is the recommended setting. Not sure what it is. But the colors are off, and I get eye strain when using it.

I'll tone the brightness down and see if that helps.

5. _33

_33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I use 23" and I'm about 3 feet from the screen.

6. TVman

TVman New Member

Thanks Received:
    from a 22" i sit ~ 1 meter away

7. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    I use a 24" screen and sit between 1 and 2.5 feet away.

You can probably adjust the colours of the screen, but it is a TFT screen so it will not have the best colour reproduction (TFT screens have the best ms response rate but the worst colour reproduction and viewing angles). Also because it is TFT you need to ensure you are looking at it dead-on (basically not from an angle to the side, above or below the screen, as that causes really bad colour distortion on tft screens).

Also you can adjust the colour and saturation through either the monitor itself or using the ATi CCC options for the screen, and if you think it is blurry then check that it is at the native resolution and that you are running it at the correct hz - it should be a 60hz screen so make sure in the CCC display options that it is not at something like 75hz.