1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My new aftermarket CPU cooler doesnt seem to spin the whole time is this normal??????

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by mrmotivator, Jun 4, 2012.

1. mrmotivator New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am a first time builder, I have i5 3570K CPU and i bought a Shadow rock pro be-quiet 150w aftermarket cooler.

Now it spins on start up but seems to stop soon after, its not in a case and i have only been browsing so nothing to taxing on the cpu is it just saving power because cooling isnt needed or should it be spiing all the time like the PSU fan????

Also when i put the thermal paste that came with it on it was so dry that i had a job smearing it on, is this normal also???

Would love some help, thanks alot people!!! :)
  2. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    are you using fan control from the motherboard? If so, check out what temperatures the bios is reporting. Sometimes the MB reports temps that are ~20C+ lower than actual. I have seen fans stop spinning when the chips idle falls below a certain threshold.

Thermal pastes can be a burden to apply.

Also, you can use realtemp or coretemp to see what the actual temperature of the CPU is. Those Ivy's run cool, but having a fan stop spinning is usually a sign that the MB temp sensor is reporting bogus temps.
  3. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse Crazy Dogmatic Bullsh!t!

Thanks Received:
    What mobo have you got exactly?? On Asus boards there is usually a function called 'Q-Fan' that controls the fan speed,

so either Q-fan is set to the wrong setting in the bios or you have plugged it into the wrong header.

as far as thermal paste goes - I would have gone out and bought my own. either AC MX-2, MX-4 or AS5 if i was not satisfied with the stuff that comes with new heatsinks and such.

as it stands i always have a tube of MX-4 lying around my room somewhere so its easy for me to get a little work done if i get asked to do system builds or repairs
  4. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    its all well as long as the CPU doesnt overheat. less fan spinning = less noise.
  5. mrmotivator New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB WIFI, i just installed real temp and it says load 4.3% and temperature for he four cores is ruffly 43c and distance to tj max ruffly 60c is this normal? What am i looking for whats good and whats bad? I will check the bios thanks :)
  6. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse Crazy Dogmatic Bullsh!t!

Thanks Received:
    I am inexperienced with gigabyte boards as i have never owned one but but there should be something similar to Asus Q-Fan in the bios usually located around the section where you can check your temperatures or fan RPM if you have addtional fans plugged into the boards fan headers.

43'c is alright i suppose but its not the best, loads of peoples SB chips idle at 25-30'c

:EDIT:

Does this look similar to your bios??

[​IMG]

If it is. you need to find the smart fan tab and play around with the CPU fan control
  7. mrmotivator New Member

Thanks Received:
    Haha yes thats exactly it, i just did it was on 0.75 PW something what ever that means i put it to 2.0 but still its not spining. Its installed perfectly i watched a video on new egg how to do it, think the fans a dud? Thanks for the screen shot!
  8. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    if the fan spins up but then stops, then it is not a dud, most likely the fan is fine, something is not right with the settings. It should be spinning at a healthy RPM at 43 C.

Try turning off fan control in the bios.
  9. mrmotivator New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks but excuse my ignorance "turn of fan control"?? I switched it to manual and to the maximum it will go and it only seems to spin on startup and cpu is now at 55c. Thanks again!!
  10. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Dum question perhaps but are you sure it actually stops and is not just spinning quietly, a lot of coolers will spin at full speed on startup for a few seconds then spin down when the bios kicks in?
  11. mrmotivator New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am positive its stopped, its not even in the case as ive just put it all together :(