1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My new P5K won't disable speedstep!?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Mediocre, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    After soldering a new radiocrack capacitor to my gfx, i am finally in windows and overclocking :rockout:

So far, I can boot and run at max 450fsb, but the multi has to be 7x or it won't POST.

So I set 400 fsb and 9x multi and I can boot @ 3.6 w00t :toast: but CPU-Z shows my multi bouncing between 6 and 9 when I'm loaded:confused:.

I have the 'intel speedstep' disabled, but its still doing it. Have the bios released 10 days ago (0507). I even manually set the multi...

Anyone gots some ideas on any other setting that may aleviate this? Asus mobo's don't have a 'cool n quite' or anything do they? It doesn't effect much, but its nagging me.

Many thanks

2. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    you have to disable I think two more besides speedstep

3. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    crap, I'll go look. I've been through the manual and all the BIOS screens...I guess I don't know what to look for besides 'speedstep'...

4. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    I just found them C1E, CPU TM Function I think so try and post back

5. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    You're correct, wonder if we saw the same article. I disabled EVERYTHING in the CPU setup screen - C1E,CPUID, Vanderpoole, cputm, and Execute disable.

CPU-Z shows it right. THANKS!

(pointless thread by me, I think I should be demoted to nub :p)

6. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    How're you getting on with it?

I'm still a little confused by the CPU/NB reference voltage settings, and the cpu PLL voltage.

Also, with bios 0311 i find that i can't set the memory to 1T. It will just refused to boot until you swap the dimms to reset the memory controller again. Even clearin the CMOS wouldn't make it boot! I thought i had a dead board on my hands for a while! :laugh:

So far i've managed a maximum of 550mhz fsb, but i've only had it stable up to 530mhz. Using the 6x cpu multi. 1:1 memory performance seems to be a bit s**t imo compared to my 975x board before this. I've only managed to get the memory read over 10,000mb/s Everest Read once, and that was with the memory @ 5:6 1250mhz 5-5-5-8 2.45V.

How is the new bios anyway?

7. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have PLL set to 1.5 per an article I read somewehre LOL

I'm having issues. Can't boot @ or past 400fsb without INSANE CPU voltage (1.6+)

But its SUPER stable at 3.2 with 1.35V
    Vref - auto
    Damper - enabled
    PLL - 1.5
    DRAM - auto
    FSB - 1.2
    NB - 1.25

I can change ANYTHING BUT vcore and get NO DIFFERENCE. Even max settings doesn't help, seems my CPU IS a steaming pile of ...

Its the stock p5k board, NOT deluxe or - anything

You mentioning the swap of RAM makes me think I might want to try that with my 'fried' p5n board, cuz nothing looks fried, but the NB was watercooled at 1.75 and I think that might be dead

8. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, my cpu seems to be the limiting factor for me as well. If i go any over 3.65ghz, it will just randomly restart. It passes all stability tests, and you don't get any error messages or BSOD's, it just reboots on it's own! :laugh:

Though it is quite hot. @ 1.55v vcore it gets to >60c, so I think i need to lap the IHS and base of my waterblock. If that doesn't help, i'll De-IHS the cpu, and modify my other Apogee waterblock so it can make contact with the die.

Also, a Very Nice feature of this motherboard is the mounting system for the Northbridge! It uses holes! Which means i can mount my chipset waterblock with the proper nut/bolt+spring retention system, which will put a lot more pressure on the NB :D

9. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    lucky bastard lol, my p5k (not deluxe) has the spring clips :(

The 'burnt' p5n had the holes

10. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    i had spring clips (actually 1x clip w/ 2x loops on the board) on my old board, and i was forever worrying about the NB waterblock rocking. :laugh: