1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My new SSD. I need some advice now.

Discussion in 'Storage' started by happita, Dec 5, 2011.

1. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    I finally got my Corsair SSD up and running. Now I need a couple of tips to ensure that my drive will last me as long as it can and operate at its peak potential. I've read up enough on SSDs to know a few things.

For example, I've disabled these services using run and going msconfig:
    Bluetooth Support Service (I don't use Bluetooth)
    Disk Defragmenter
    Task Scheduler (I will schedule everything manually)
    Print Spooler (I don't have a printer)
    Superfetch
    Remote Desktop Services
    Windows Search
    Windows Indexing (Seen below)
    [​IMG]

I've enabled AHCI mode before doing a fresh W7 64-bit install on the SSD. After I installed, I ran ATTO and came up with these numbers:
    [​IMG]

I'm still probably going to use my old HDD, but here are some of its numbers just to give you a comparison:
    [​IMG]

So far I think I have set up and tweaked most of the settings that helps keep an SSD stable, but I'm sure I missed and/or I just don't know how to do a few things.

#1 I don't know how to disable Windows Prefetch, I checked the services list and it wasn't there.

#2 How do I disable Write Caching? Did I do that already by disabling Windows Search?

#3 How do I check if TRIM is running? (DONE)

#4 How do I enable TRIM? (DONE)

#5 How do I disable hibernation? (DONE)

#6 How do I know if Background Garbage Collection (BCG) is doing it's thing? (DONE)

#7 What do I have to do in regards to my pagefile? I use Firefox mostly, with occasional IE useage.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  2. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    #5 is in power options
    #7 i disable it if i need space, otherwise leave it. it shouldn't matter but windows is really built around using that pagefile, so even if the ssd is fast enough to not need it windows wants it.

did you let windows create and format the partition? the chances of you having the right size fo your allocation is slim if you didn't let windows do it all. there was a tool to check it but i am sorry i don't remember it. i will look for it.

happita says thanks.
  3. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    #5 Turn off the display: set to Never
    Put the computer to sleep: set to Never <---thats another way of saying hibernation?

#7 I don't know how to do that, please explain in detail how to disable it.

I don't think I created/formatted the partition. When I was about to install Windows, the readout size was about 167GB (mind you, my SSD is 180GB). I just clicked on the only thing there, and pressed Next. Then Windows did it's thing (expanded Windows, etc.)

4. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I do NOTHING for SSD tweaks. If the drive dies, it has a warranty. The only thing I ensure is disabled is Defrag for that specific drive; everything else remains like it was When Windows installed itself.

Write cache should be enabled by default, but you can check in the Intel RST interface. Hasn't made any difference for me, personally. TRIM should happen automatically.

happita says thanks.
  5. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    you dont want to disable the page file completely. just make it small maybe 2GB

Reboot your PC after applying changes/reg key

Attached Files:

happita says thanks.
  6. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    to disable hibernation and delete the hibernation file (saves space on ssd).

start command prompt as an administrator and type: powercfg -h off

happita and digibucc say thanks.
  7. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    perfect

sorry - in power options edit the plan you use (balanced) click "change advanced settings", then click "sleep", you'll see "hibernate after"

Control Panel-> System
    click "advanced system settings" on the left, in the new window, on the advanced tab, in the performance box, click settings. in the new window, go to the "advanced" tab, and click change in the virtual memory box. in this window, you can uncheck "let windows manage" and set values yourself, disabling paging on the ssd but leaving it on the others.

as i said though, it generally doesn't make huge difference unless you need the space. be careful.

happita says thanks.
  8. Daimus

Daimus

Thanks Received:
    happita says thanks.
  9. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I uncheck the "automatically manage paging file size for all drives" and it opens up the grayed out area below. I then have to select the "custom size" and input an "initial size" and "maximum size". I think a 4GB paging file is enough for now, so what should I input in those 2 spaces for initial and maximum? The space selected available on my C drive is 145029 MB.

Also, on the very bottom, for the "Total paging file for all drives" section, here are the readouts:
    Minimum allowed: 16 MB
    Recommended: 12156 MB
    Currently allocated: 8104 MB

10. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    I usually offset the page file to my 1tb green HDD so I dont waste precious SSD space.

11. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    well for every drive other than the ssd, you should put the recommended if you can afford the space. for the ssd put it at 2gb(2048). then it shouldn't use it too often and it won't get huge in the process.