1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My PC gaming decision

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Anthony Frandi, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Aithos

Thanks Received:
    I would also go with dual channel memory, the extra bandwidth is more important than the increase in memory. I also strongly suggest an SSD, it isn't just for booting faster it allows you to increase performance by a huge margin on anything that reads or writes to the hard drive. IE: applications and games. The only thing that doesn't really see any benefit from an SSD is browsing the Internet and watching Youtube videos. As for size, anything less than 120gb is too small for an SSD and honestly that's on the small size too. I just built a new machine and put a 256gb SSD in for my boot drive/games. Normal apps like office go on my storage drive, anything that relies on performance (games, video editing) goes on the boot drive.

As for brands:

Memory - Corsair, G.Skill, Kingston, Mushkin, pretty much any name brand with a decent reputation is fine.
    PSU - Corsair. There are several other decent brands, but Corsair is way ahead in my opinion.

2. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    When it comes to power supplies its all about the OEM. Corsair doesnt make their own PSUs. Seasonic majes most of Corsairs higher tier of PSUs.

3. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    It's plenty if you use it for OS and progs and no games. I have a mere 30 GB partition on my 128GB Plextor M5P and still have plenty space on it and I put lots of apps and progs on the secondary partition and even use it in conjunction with my 1TB storage HDD to capture game footage with DxTory. I don't let captures accumulate though of course. It's a one off then delete thing.

Honestly, if you're diligent about keeping unnecessary files deleted, 128GB is fine. I was getting under 5GB space left on my OS partition, but after running Disc Cleanup it deleted about 4GB worth of old Windows Update backups, so I have over 8GB free now. I have close to 70GB free on the secondary partition.

128GB is fine for an OS drive, just don't treat it like a storage drive and you'll be OK. You DO want at least 128GB though because that level of capacity is where you stat getting faster, denser Nand.

4. OC-Rage

OC-Rage

Thanks Received:
    thanks my
    thanks my bro ok ok ok

5. M0rt

Thanks Received:
    I think the OP may have since departed, but here goes.

brandonwh64, the Enermax isn't a bad unit, but the only place I could find it is on Amazon for $129. At that price or anything close the OP would have to be certifiable to buy it.

OP, you never chimed in on the future CF question, but if it's a yes, here's your PSU. if not, the previous 550w recommendations stand.

Mx, Frag, good to see you gents out and about. Hope all is well.

6. Anthony Frandi

Anthony Frandi

Thanks Received:
    i will use Rosewill Hive 750W Modular then?
    and gskill ram?

7. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    No, anything but Rosewill PSUs. Seasonic PSUs get my recommendation most of the time. As for RAM get any 8gb kit with 2 4GB sticks at 1600 or 1866mhz. Kingston, G. Skill, Corsair, etc.

8. M0rt

Thanks Received:
    Unless you're gonna Crossfire a second card, you don't need a 750w unit.

If you do, get the XFX I linked to. The longer warranty, Gold efficiency, and better build quality are worth the $20.

9. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    The new rosswill units are quite good these days! jonnyguru gave them great reviews and they are now made by super flower. If he does get one I would suggest the Capstone or Fortress models

MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Aithos

Thanks Received:
    The problem isn't deleting unnecessary files, it's that games are HUGE and getting bigger. 120gb goes really fast when you consider games average between 15-50GB each these days, I mean any MMORPG is going to be 30GB+, AAA games like Assassins Creed and Diablo III are easily 20GB. Even games like LoL and CS:GO take up a good amount of space. I averaged 5-6 games on my 120gb drive before I had to uninstall and re-download stuff just to play other games. I had to delete Diablo III and WoW just to try Aion (50GB) when it went free to play. Not to mention not all ISPs even allow unlimited data anymore, I have a 250gb cap, when I built my new PC last week I had to skip downloading some of my games because I'm at 90% usage for the month. I can't even watch Netflix until later this week because my data is too close and I don't want an overage charge.

256gb is honestly the smallest I would consider going with how big games are today, and they will only get bigger. The performance hit of installing on a storage drive sucks, and with more companies going the Steam route and installing to a base directory (Origin, UPlay) you can't even install on a per game basis...

11. jihadjoe

jihadjoe

Thanks Received:
    Since the release of socket 775 Intel will actually run mixed DIMMs in "FLEX" mode. It's basically dual channel up to the size of the smaller DIMM, and single channel for the remaining amount. On a system with a 4GB and 8GB DIMM, then the first 8GB will be dual-channel, with the remaining 4GB running single channel.
    http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-011965.htm#flex

Performance is very near that of full dual channel mode, especially if your data set is able to reside in the dual channel portion of the memory.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-stakes-vision-pc-future-775-launch,830-28.html

12. TechNerd1300

Thanks Received:
    He's right, the CX line is done by Channel Well, as is the GS line, when people claim you get a better PSU with the GS, you really don't, just a CX with a LED fan

13. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Which is why, and if you read the whole post you couldn't have helped but notice, I referred to "OS drive" as Widjaja said, as an OS, apps and progs drive. Ever since the advent of SSD drives, most now refer to "OS drive" as one that does not serve double duty as a storage drive for games, music, movies, and other entertainment media.

I mean, be realistic. :rolleyes:

14. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    I have a 128GB SSD for my OS and drivers and any frequently used programs, and then a 240GB for games I play the most these days, and then a 2TB platter drive with 2 1TB partitions for storage, and other games.