• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My pc is electrocuting me/giving asus anti-surge alert randomly

System Name Bonds silencer
Processor Core i7 5820k
Motherboard Asus sabertooth x99
Cooling Be quiet! Dark rock 3
Memory 4x4gb corsair vengeance(blue)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980 ti
Storage Samsung evo 850 500gb ssd/western digital blue 1tb 7200rpm
Display(s) Asus rog swift pg278q
Case Be quiet! silent base 800 window edition
Audio Device(s) Sound blaster zxr
Power Supply Seasonic platinum 1000w 80+ platinum certified
Mouse Logitech proteus g502
Keyboard Corsair k70 2016 RGB
Hi.Ivé built a new pc from 2 month approx and here's what happened :at day 0 it didn't turn on.so i fixed that by checking motherboard 24 pin and pressing gently.turned on and booted to bios.at day 2 installed win10. No issues so far. Day 3 I wanted to take some pictures so while I was unscrewing side pannel I've got a shock.after 1 month of normal everyday use I wanted to call of duty advanced warfare.while playing the pc restarted 2 time by giving asus anti surge message.checked this on Google and it seemed like a common issue.so I didn't pay attention. Until recently I installed a new sound card. I was plugging my mic in it then it gave me a background noise/echo. As I noticed later on my old and new speakers was giving a small noise too.didn't go in depth because it wasn't an important stuff but strangely my headset (hyperx cloud 2)wasn't subject to that when I used my front usb as output. Until recently I was replugging my keyboard as its generally not detected at startup u got chocked once again. Then a day later I got the asus anti surge triggered back. I've updated my x99 sabertooth bios then instead of doing the afformentionned error it just shut down randomly then when I turn it back go to desktop like nothing happened. Later I couldn't use my mouse very well as the logitech software stopped autostarting .after a while my g502 plastic mouse started lightly chocking me but my aluminum keyboard didn't. Now I removed everything from the wall and too scared to turn it on.here's my system specs: -seasonic platinum 1kw (it got a 10 on tpu)
-5820k i7
-sabertooth x99
-16gb corsair vengeance ddr4 2666mhz
-gygabite gtx 980 ti wundforce
-sound blaster zxr
-lg blu-ray burner
-be quiet silent base 800! Window
-asus pg278q lcd
- logitech g502
-keyboard corsair k70 rgb 2016
-z506 logitech speaker.
Note:checked my case I'm not chocked from the front/side but only the rear. The shock happen at different voltages. Checked with a multimeter it range from 0.3 to 56.4v.
Do you think it's all due to my ups being 600w simulated sine wave( for the pc alone ,the other peripherals arent plugged in)//my outlet being 2 prong/my ups being ungrounded ?can I use a grounded cheater plug if it's the case? Any other reason for those problems?is it related to my ungrounded outlet/ups?how can I add a 3rd ground to the existing ups if possible? Thanks for your help because Im scared of burning my pc.note:wall outlet is 220v 50hz here if it help. Any other issues like faulty components?

Apparently a short circuit . I would check whether there is current in the zero of the outlet, even the grounding plate . Or a cable inside the case , shorting

Last edited:
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
As Droopy suggests, you need to start at the wall. Every home and every computer user should have access to a AC Outlet Tester to ensure your outlet is properly wired and grounded. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic, at most home improvement or discount stores like Walmart. And if a fault is shown, have it fixed by a qualified electrician.

Does your computer shock you when running through the UPS with the UPS disconnected from the wall? If not, your wall outlet is probably the problem.

If your two-prong outlet is properly wired otherwise, it still should not be shocking you. However, a grounded to Earth outlet would be better; safer and less prone to interference.

Make sure your computer, monitor, and everything else connected to your computer are powered through the same wall outlet and UPS. Because any two outlets on the same circuit in the same room will have different length wires running to them and perhaps more junctions between them and the service panel/facility ground, no two outlet grounds are exactly the same. Running all your computer gear through one outlet ensures a "common ground" and even if "floating" (not "Earthed") they will all be at the same potential so no voltage can flow between the cases.

If it is not possible to run all through the same outlet, buy some simple 22 AWG Solid Copper "Hook-Up" Wire and "strap" all your plug-in devices together by attaching this wire to the bare metal case of each device. Often wrapping the wire around then tightening a case screw is easiest. This will put all your devices at the same common ground potential and prevent current from running through you - if you present a shorter path to Earth ground (which is why you are getting shocked). If possible, strap the other end of this wire to Earth ground for best results.

BTW, I applaud you for using a UPS. IMO, every computer should be on a "good" UPS with AVR (automatic voltage regulation) regardless where you live or how stable your "grid" is. Assuming your UPS is not damaged, having a simulated sine wave output is not a problem. "Pure" sine wave UPSs have only recently become popular (because they've only recently dropped significantly in price). Simulated (or stepped "approximated") sine wave UPS have been used with computers for decades with no problems.

And good, modern power supplies can easily compensate for, regulate out any of the tiny anomalies introduced by the UPS. And as you noted, you bought a top end PSU. That said, even the best makers can have failures, or they can be damaged during shipping or abuse. So if you have another PSU you can try just for testing, that would a good idea to try.

Your computer plus your monitor and all your network gear should easily be supported by your 600W UPS. Speakers don't need to be run through the battery side of your UPS. If your UPS has outlets that not supported by the battery, run your speakers through that. If not, disconnect your speakers (audio and power) completely from your computer and see if you still get shocked.

NEVER use a surge and spike protector with a UPS. The output waveforms and loads created by a surge and spike protector are not "clean" and can confuse a UPS. If you plug a UPS into a surge and spike protector, the UPS can see the incoming power as dirty. If you plug a surge and spike into the output side of a UPS, the UPS can see the load as unstable. So if you need more outlets, use a good extension cord.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
Ungrounded outlet implies older wiring. Would not be surprised if the hot wire (black typically) is swapped with the neutral wire (white typically). In the US, most homes have both the neutral and ground leading to the same place. With new codes and GFI breakers, they are separated in newer construction.

Processor Core i7 5820k
My outlet isn't grounded it's a 2 prong outlet. I have 2 ups of the same type but smaller wattage. 1 dot my desktop which is 600w and the other for monitor and speakers which are hooked up by dp and 3x3.5mm Jacks. The two ups are plugged to an to the same outlet via a strong extention cord coming from the same outlet hope it can help.my psu is modular so there's no useless cables. Can a unproperly seated cable pin short?I'll open my computer tomorow at the morning and check for any shorting wire.may it be an unproperly seated gpu ? I broke accidentally a little plastic stuff on the pci slot (the thing on the right side that clip) while installing it but I have put it back carefully and pressed gently.it didn't clipthough... thanks ☺

Sorry for the double post but I did bill test about the ups. I removed the ups from the wall and turned it on with the pc on.then tested it using a screwdriver tester on a screw at the back.the screw didn't light.then I've pit the ups on ground and the test was so bright that it was gonna electrocute me.(for the test I removed my speaker and have put the monitor on the same ups.)I removed the ups plug and put it with the metal on the ground.the screwdriver gave a lower light then after that redid the same and it gave no light. Repeated the test 2 times with same results.what does it mean?also what can I do ti fix it

Last edited by a moderator:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Can a unproperly seated cable pin short?
Yes, but everything on the output side of the power supply will be low voltage DC. Assuming there are no bent pins and you now have it reseated properly, that problem should go away. Plus, you said above you were seeing voltages with a multimeter up to 56.4v. So that suggests problems with the house wiring and/or ground.

then I've pit the ups on ground
What do you mean "on ground"?

Processor Core i7 5820k
I mean that I've put the 2 prong cable of the ups on the ground(in my case it's tiled floor )then retested the current.so I can remove the possibility of a unproperly seated cable or vga? When I installed the vga back the pci connection wasn't damaged at all...also when the pc wasn't turning on I reseated board 24 pin connection it turned on and I never reloaded at it. Is it related to the shut down problem? Or that one us also related to the electrocuting case

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I cannot tell from here. If me, I would put the UPS and your entire computer setup on a wood table and see what happens.

Processor Core i7 5820k
With or without the speakers? I entirely removed them and was still electrocuted. Also I had monitor and pc on the same ups.I can only move the desktop but not the screen:too hard to move it without damaging the peripherals.but the whole setup is on a wooden table

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
With or without the speakers? I entirely removed them and was still electrocuted.
Then without. You need to try to eliminate the source. Do this running off the UPS battery and plugged into the wall.

What is the monitor sitting on? If something that can conduct electricity, try slipping a wood cutting board or bare (no labels or printing) cardboard under it. Swap out cables. Disconnect network cables. Swap power supplies.

Processor Core i7 5820k
Everything is on wood

Tried to plug it to the wall with no ups u got a more or less strong current flowing in now though much less powerful than the first one.not a volt flowing when I've put it back on ups

Last edited by a moderator:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Then back to the suggestion to get your wall outlets tested.

Processor Core i7 5820k
So I guess there's nothing wrong with the pc itself (wires/gpu)? What can cause problems with my outlet? All my home is 2 prong and ungrounded.is it the problem? My ups input/output is also 2 prong only.also if the monitor is 3 prong with dc converter adapter will it shorten it's life?thanks

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
What can cause problems with my outlet?
Incorrect wiring at the outlet. Loose wires. Incorrect or loose wiring at the junction points or service panel. You really should have an electrician check it before someone gets hurt. The young and elderly (especially with heart problems) may not be able to tolerate the shocks as you do. Plus, if caused by loose wiring, it may only get worse over time.

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
My outlet isn't grounded it's a 2 prong outlet.
Since your outlet is not grounded, you are not gonna solve zapping issue unless grounding the metal case itself ghetto style.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
Ungrounded outlet implies older wiring. Would not be surprised if the hot wire (black typically) is swapped with the neutral wire (white typically).

I don't often quote myself ...but when I do...

Processor Core i7 5820k
Ive opened my pc and checked for everything:reseated gpu and checked cables. I turned it on and tested for electricity:my gpu is electrocuting:cz my board is a metal armored one im sure it's getting the chock.psu is of course also electrocuting. Ive then checked without the outlet and with my ups:got a much lower tension flowing.I've put it to wall also= stronger voltage. I've wired my ups to outlet and the pc:same as above.in the 3 cases my case interior was getting a buildup. That's why I think my pc was shutting down with no reason or getting asus anti surge. I wont use it before repairing the outlet:but do you think if it habe been happening on light use (1h a day,5_6h weekends)will it affect my parts lifetime expectancy if asus anti surge was triggered on time?even though the monitor wasnt subject to any odd stuff regarfing Its power should i put it on a grounded outlet? I may get a cyberpower 900w pfc ups for 3 prong compatibility and will change my outlet to a grounded one. Thanks.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Are you absolutely sure you don't have an extra stand-off under the motherboard? Cases are designed to support 1000s of motherboards so there are almost always more places to screw in standoff than there are motherboard mounting holes.

I don't know how long anything will last if there is improper wiring in the house, or something shorted inside the computer.

Yes, the monitor, computers, all your network gear, speakers - everything should go to a grounded (and preferably same) wall outlet.

Processor Core i7 5820k
Ivé mounted the standoff provided with my case but I doubt it's related the board is screwed to a non conductingpart of the case. Like the exterior.but I'm gonna be repairing this outlet asap.if it doesn't solve the problem then ill look for a short

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage Corsair 512GB SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard A bamboo custom job
Software Win 10 Pro
Like others have said, your "electrocution" problem is from the two-prong outlets in your house. The metal exterior of a device being energized was the problem that three-prong outlets were created to solve.

If your house is very old, is likely there's no "easy" way to retrofit your outlets -- IIRC, an electrician will have to wire the ground plug on a new three-prong outlet to some large metal object in your walls (I think a pipe will work, as long as it too is grounded).

You're not just at risk of hurting your computer -- you're at risk of hurting yourself with this setup!

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Ivé mounted the standoff provided with my case but I doubt it's related the board is screwed to a non conductingpart of the case.
??? These are standoffs. Are you sure you only put one where there is a corresponding motherboard mounting hole? Note the board should be mounted to the bare metal back plane of the case, or a bare metal motherboard tray - both of which are made of conductive materials.

But as captainskyhawk, myself and others have noted, you need to have your outlet checked before you, someone else, or your computer are hurt.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Something tells me OP wants to be Static Shock.

Processor Core i7 5820k
To be really sure when I was installing my board I only had 2 standoff shipped with the case so I used lots of different way of placing them and the board was just not getting onto place. So logically i placed the standoffs on the holes that were at the low and werent reached with no standoffs. Everything was screwed fine.I don't think it's the issue as a board getting power is far less powerful than being able to actually shock.there was only two standoff.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
you need all stand offs or you risk serious damage to yuor board. I have shorted boards on case mobo plates before please dont do this.