1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My PC wont turn on

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by RandelA, Jan 18, 2013.

1. RandelA

RandelA New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know, this is a pretty common issue but mine is a little different. I cant find solutions on google so I thought the guys from TPU could help me.

When I push the power button in front of the case, It turns on, the casing LEDs, the cpu ang gpu fans but what doesnt seem to appear is my display. So I waited for my keyboard to light up since the numlock key lights up when windows starts. But it didnt light up. I already changed the slots of where my vid card is but that didnt work. Also, i have an LED on my mobo that blinks whenever the computer is loading. Also, screen displays "No Signal" on both DVI and HDMI inputs. And even on VGA-DVI. Idk what seems to be the problem.. Would you guys help me?

Logs:
    Cleaned cpu casing
    Cleaned cpu and gpu including heatsinks
    Placed new thermal paste on both gpu and cpu (and I know it's just the right amount)

And that's pretty much it.
  2. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    If you can, try the GPU in a known working system.

check your MB manual to see if the Blinking LED's are system warnings that may indicate the problem of your system.
    RandelA says thanks.
  3. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Is there a LED code?
  4. RandelA

RandelA New Member

Thanks Received:
    What do you mean? Well I tried replacing the Power socket connected to the gpu with another socket from the psu but it didnt work. Plus, I forgot to put in the log, I also put a tiny dot on the two chips beside the gpu, because it is also covered by the heatsink so I thought, why not place a thermal compound there?

LEDs on my mobo usually Blinks if it loads an OS pr a game or a heavy program.. So I think the blinking is a sign that it loads. But one thing is sure right now, it is not blinking
  5. DarkOCean

DarkOCean

Thanks Received:
    on top of that big mountain on mars(Romania)
    Try clearing the cmos on the mobo.
    RandelA says thanks.
  6. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    +1
    RandelA says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. okidna

okidna

Thanks Received:
    Try clearing the CMOS like DarkOcean suggested.
    If the problem still persist check your case spacer/standoff from shorts with your motherboard.

Remove your motherboard (and everything attached to it) from your case, try to turn on your PC outside your case, if the PC boot up then maybe you have shorts between your case spacer/standoff and your mobo. I suggest you tape them up before putting your board there.
    RandelA says thanks.
  8. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    If you have a second computer in the house or can get your hands on a computer that has the same slot type as your card, you can take your card and toss it in another computer that you know works to see if the card is the factor or not.

The only place I know its safe to put thermal paste is where the factories put thermal paste and that is usually only on the GPU dies. You may have damaged your card. If you can upload pictures of what you have done.

Before you do that resetting the CMOS is a good idea as others have suggested, there is either pins you can short or removing the battery will do.
    RandelA says thanks.
  9. RandelA

RandelA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Clearing the CMOS worked guys. I just removed the battery and all is normal again. Thank you guys!!! Thank you for the help. Just one last thing though... How is clearing the CMOS the solution? How does it work?
  10. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    The various stored settings get corrupted, confusing the bios firmware. Resetting them puts them all at known good defaults, so things work again.
    RandelA and HammerON say thanks.
  11. DarkOCean

DarkOCean

Thanks Received:
    on top of that big mountain on mars(Romania)
    By removing the battery you've done the same thing cleared the cmos - factory safe settings reset.
    RandelA says thanks.
  12. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Start out of the case first. Put the mobo on top of the case, use a sheet of cardboard or what ever, start with the bare minimum, and see if it posts. If it does, work your way up, if it doesn't, dead mobo.... or cpu ect.
    Okay, if cmos clearing worked... it removes all previous settings, including any wrong ones, then cool.
    RandelA says thanks.
  13. RandelA

RandelA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ohh cool. So the bios is where the known slots are, and if something doesnt seem right for the bios because of the slot arrangement/ placement, the bios then gets confused and thats why the processor wont work? (or the pc wont start) well if that's it, I want to thank you guys for the info :D if something goes wrong again, would it hurt if I try to remove it again or will something get lost?
  14. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    nope, the bios would just reset to default
  15. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    I fail to see how your issue is different :wtf:
  16. RandelA

RandelA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great point.. But what I first posted was my own opinion because I could not see any solutions online... So I dropped by tpu. Also the most common problem is loose connections / unplugged power cables etc.. So yeah. Just my opinion that it is a little different! Sorry I got you wondering