1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My Phenom X3 720/DDR2 overclocking [need some advice]

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Ozpa, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Ozpa

Thanks Received:
    Hello everyone!

My system is getting "outdated" month by month so I thought about overclocking the CPU for now (my 4870 with custom cooling and reference clocks will be getting this attention soon too).

Here's my adventure so far neatly in an Excel screenshot:

[​IMG]

Basically I'm just giving the CPU a 3 hour OCCT test for now and will stick with the highest overclock on daily basis to see if it's stable for use.
    I'm only increasing the multiplier and I think I hit the ceiling with 17,5x, now I think I need to experiment with by adding FSB. I'm not a big fan of stressing other components(northbridge, RAM, HT Clock) to attain higher speeds but I still want to try it :D

My question is about the RAM. What would be the best thing to do if you would find out that your memory can't do higher clock speeds? Lower the timings? Play with RAM voltage? Lower the multiplier?
    I really have no experience in playing with RAM, and in my case what tactics would you guys suggest I employ here to reach the highest clock speed possible? What works the best most of the time?

Thank you in advance :respect:

Gonna leave my PC @ OCCT testing and jump on laptop now :)
    JrRacinFan says thanks.
  2. Ozpa

Thanks Received:
    17.5x205 and my system is BSODing like crazy. For some reason if I changed the memory multiplier from 5.33 to 4.00 it would not boot at all (had to clear CMOS).
  3. BeepBeep2

Thanks Received:
    Common clocks for a 720.

Not sure about the memory multiplier, that should have been okay unless the BIOS defaulted to some stupidly tight timings.
    Ozpa says thanks.
  4. Wyverex

Wyverex

Thanks Received:
    For some reason, I had a lot better luck with OCing via bus speed change, and not with multi.
    Also, keep in mind that OCing Northbridge will speed up your L3 cache and increase performance in some programs too (biggest gain I've seen was in Civ5 and Starcraft 2)

At the moment, I'm running 14x235 (3290 MHz) at 1.344 V (+0.025), stable after 4 hours of Prime95, temps under 50°C at max load (reported by HWMonitor)
    And, my NB is at 2350 MHz, RAM at 940 MHz (CL5)
    Ozpa says thanks.
  5. Ozpa

Thanks Received:
    Oh we got almost identical systems Wyverex :)

What's your memory settings in BIOS? (multiplier, timings, voltage)
  6. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried unlocking your 720 to a quad?
    Ozpa says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Wyverex

Wyverex

Thanks Received:
    Hehe, indeed. And it still serves me quite nicely :)

My RAM becomes unstable at anything over 1020 MHz, several RMAs did not help. So, I keep it between 900 MHz and 1000 MHz.
    It is specified to run at:
    • Voltage: 2.1 V
    • Frequency: 1066 MHz
    • Latency timings: 5-5-5-15-22

but since I can't get it to run over 1020 MHz I keep it at:
    • Voltage: 1.9 V
    • Frequency: 4x bus, 940 MHz at the moment
    • Latency timings: default for 800 MHz memory - 5-5-5-18-23

Dunno if you asked me or Ozpa, but I'll answer anyway :p Tried unlocking, won't unlock in my mobo :(
    Ozpa says thanks.
  8. Ozpa

Thanks Received:
    Oh sorry I forgot to reply. I haven't tried it, I don't really need it at the moment either :p

Wyverex: The motherboard doesn't want to set everything the EPP profile says it to and did you try setting everything manually to specified timings? (multiplier, voltage, timings) That's what I did and it works. Note that one of my sticks started spewing errors in memtest about 4 months in so I had to RMA them. The new set I got after still works to this day great (I noticed many many users complain about this exact same set of momery being DOA and within 1-4 months dead on newegg feedback).

I might try running my memory at the same settings you do.
  9. ivicagmc

ivicagmc

Thanks Received:
    I think you would gain more speed by adding another dual channeler. You could probably find some cheap used DDR2. I have 4x1GB 800MHz DDR 2 and WEI for memory is 7.5, highest of all others in my system. When I remove one dimm it drops on 5.8...
  10. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    @Brandon
    You just got really lucky with your old one. :p

@Ozpa
    Your chart seems to be near spot dead on for my 720 Black as well. Big thank you because it will also help me clock it. Right now I have it running dual cores @ 3.3Ghz, as I don't need the horsepower in an HTPC.