1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

my psu is making a high pitched buzzing

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by i_am_mustang_man, May 20, 2006.

1. i_am_mustang_man New Member

Thanks Received:
    just bought an antec smartpower sp-500 500W psu

it's stable and powerful, but when i go into a high draw app (atitool w/ 3Dview does it) the psu emits a high pitch buzzing. as i increase the OC, the buzzing goes up in pitch and volume. can't seem to think of anything other than faulty unit, but maybe this has happened to someone and found a solution? (i'm thinking just a burn-in might go away (fingers crossed), or something too close inside of the unit.) the issue is not due to any fan, in the psu or otherwise. it's like a buzzing mosfet or capacitor (i'm kind of scared!)

please help...
  2. newmodder New Member

Thanks Received:
    psu?

what type of psu is it?
  3. i_am_mustang_man New Member

Thanks Received:
    what do you mean? it's an antec smartpower 2.0 500W

i know my system isn't overloading it, i had a 300W psu in there 45 min ago
  4. i_am_mustang_man New Member

Thanks Received:
    i just ran atitool for about an hour, and the screaming isn't stopping......

/

bump
  5. Poisonsnak New Member

Thanks Received:
    If it's really loud it's probably defective. I have an Antec Phantom 350 and it makes a buzzing noise that changes with load, but my system is very quiet so that's why I can hear it. If I had my stock X850 cooler, for example, it would totally drown out the noise. So I think in my case it's normal.
  6. drade

drade

Thanks Received:
    LOL had same problem, What you shuold od is test it on another comp, if it doesnt make a noise then youre set, my mobo makes my psu have a little whine noice (same psu as you), but thats my mobo, its nothing bad, i can only really hear it when im playing a game.... But just barely
  7. i_am_mustang_man New Member

Thanks Received:
    yea, the noise was a lot louder than any of my fans, it went through my isolation headphones :eek:

so i returned it, thinking it might not be defective, just annoying

no probs, got a new one, it's silent thank gawd, none of that load noise

thanks for all the help!
  8. Aevum New Member

Thanks Received:
    high pitch squeels are usualy associated with a exposed circuit or shot circuit which is ionising air, if you smell it, you will notice a smell which is similar to how the air smells before a rain or thunderstorm (for those of you who actually go outside),

thats ozone, AKA O3, 3 O2 + electrical current -> 2 O3,

if you ever hear the squeel and notice the smell, replace whatever is making it for 2 reasons
    ozone in high alttitude protects the planet, but at low altitude its toxic

and the 2nd and more clear reason is that if its about to fry, it might take other pieces of your machine with it,
  9. XeoNoX New Member

Thanks Received:
  10. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    Man, I've got one... & it does NOT "flipout" on me like that, making a 'high-pitched whine' as you are describing, & I have o/c'd this beast fairly 'high' for around 7-8 months now @ the rate you see in my sig below.

Granted - I don't use ATI tool anymore & haven't since I had a 9800XT in my 2nd rig here, but it never caused that (other rig has ANTEC "True Power" 550 unit in it), & I have an NVidia card here I o/c pretty good (even over its already overclocked rate) using Coolbits.reg for this purpose.

Exchange it man... this is NOT right, imo & experience w/ the EXACT unit you have!

APK

P.S.=> Whoops! Just woke up, WAY early, to go travelling across the nation to visit relatives for the holidays, & missed this from you:

There ya ARE! apk
  11. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: