1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My PSU smells!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Octopuss, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    to answer your PSU comments: yeah sure, you could probably run your PSU on a 350W. doesnt mean that a quality 700W wont handle it quieter and cooler (and last longer)

note the key word quality in there - wattage isnt as important as the quality of the PSU. (i've swapped PSU's and seen upto 150W differences in power consumption measured at the wall, due to changes in efficiency)

2. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If a capacitor pops, your PSU shouldn't work. If it smells like burning plastic, it has to be a sheet around the coils that mysteriously burned out.

3. Krazy Owl

Krazy Owl New Member

Thanks Received:
    FALSE I can say. I seen many psu's still working with popped capacitors. Some of them may have whinning sound or smell but still working. Sometimes depending of the psu company there is always a weakness on certain boards that a resistance start to get old and offer even more resistance then produce heat and burn the board. You could see it by a brown spot around it.

I opened many psu in my life to repair them and some are still working in computers I gave to people. Trust me I'm a "dead" psu mad scientist :p

4. Krazy Owl

Krazy Owl New Member

Thanks Received:
    Air handler? The day you try to handle air you just look crazy waving hands in air. :D

5. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    It all depends of the smell. It can range from burned plastic to a typical smell of burned electornics or a smell of a burned flesh with a nasty aftertaste (aftersmell?). In that case you most likely have a bug infestation in your PSU that just got fried...

6. Krazy Owl

Krazy Owl New Member

Thanks Received:
    When your psu serves to cook bacon.

7. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    That's why I don't use shit brands :) Enermax is good, and from what I heard Seasonic is even a tiny bit better.

I will see what's going on inside tomorrow. Hate to disassemble the whole PC, grr...

8. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Cat may have crapped in it?

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Jesus H Christ. :eek: That's insane.

I had two cheapies burn out on me a decade ago and from then on it was quality brands all the way.

10. Krazy Owl

Krazy Owl New Member

Thanks Received:
    So any feedback on the smell ?

11. fritoking

fritoking

Thanks Received:
    i had the same thing happen on one of my pcs TWICE in three years...just that one pc plugged into the same outlet...could have been coincidence, but both started smelling shortly before the died altogether. Dont know if it was a voltage/current fluctuation issue or just two bad power supplies? none of my other pcs( i have 4 in the same room) have ever had an issue

12. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Too lazy, lol.
    Hoping to get to it during the weekend. It's probably about time to disassemble the case and CPU fans and see if they need some internal cleaning as well.

13. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    It's funny how equipment can get smellier as it ages.

When I was a kid back in the 80s, I used to play around with old reel to reel tape recorders (remember those?!) and they always smelled, especially the really old ones with valves in them. It could get very noticeable when they warmed up and one or two I almost had to hold my nose!

14. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Allright, I cleaned the PSU as much as I could. I have to admit I didn't open it, because my friggin' case is a bit awkward and I'd have to remove the CPU cooler, unplug pretty much all cables, remove the memory, graphic card... blabla... before I could move the damn cube one bloody centimeter. I blew most of the dust away anyway though, and checked the state of the intestines with flashlight (so glad PSUs have those large fans these days). Everything seemed perfectly fine.

Well, I immediatelly ran FurMark and Prime95 at the same time, curious about the result, and apart from both crashing several times and Winamp suddenly yelling about no device available, after a while this horrible super hot air smelling somewhat like burning started blowing from the PSU, which, after removing side panel from the case, very much resembled a Boeing taking off, judging by the sounds. No fucking shit, 1700 RPM.

I guess the burning part was a bit exxagerated when I started the thread, because apparently extremely hot air from inside a PC smells that way rather normally - I have probably just never encountered (or already forgotten about it) a case with SO shitty airflow as mine, lol.

It looks like my CPU cooler has way too dense fins, and half the airfrom from the fan is blowing back and to the sides, and with the fan on graphic card blowing directly up, the result is rather interesting mess of air that never reaches the rear case fan. Everything accumulates inside the case and is slowly sucked inside the PSU, which is then being raped for ages until the load goes back to idle values. At least this is what I believe is going on. Yey.

Lesson learned: FFFUUUU!

Things to try: get rid of the rear fan and buy a 140mm monster to mount on the top side of the case (luckily there is a hole just for that).

15. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    Had a burning plastic/electrical odor on mine once. Sent it in for RMA/Repair and PC Power and Cooling said it had a bad cap plus some of the glue use in the manufacture had melted over time and was burning on hot parts. They repaired the unit instead of sending me another (which is what I preferred) and its been fine ever since.

16. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    So I finally opened the thing up after deciding to reorganize disks and cables (finally good reason).
    No leakage at all, but there's some weird white shit on the coils, but I believe that's some sort of glue.
    I put my nose inside, smelled the parts, and UUUURGH!! If you ever smelled the inside of a very old TV (like one from 25 years ago or something), that's exactly how my PSU smells. I am pretty sure it's just half-burned dust though.

Long story short: no reason to upgrade yet.