1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My R9 290's VRM just burnt out a phase WTF?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by buildzoid, Aug 28, 2014.

1. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    I use my R9 290 in 2 different computers. When I go to my grandma's I bring the GPU with me and use it in my AMD rig. However after I brought it back to my main computer it wouldn't get picked up in windows so decided to leave it without a PCI-e connection(using the dip switches on my MB) for a few days. Then today I switched the dip switches into the on position as I reset the BIOS and I hear a crackling noise and smell electric smoke coming from the GPU. After I pulled the GPU I looked for what burnt up is the driver chip and a resistor for the 3rd phase of the Vcore VRM.
    [​IMG]
    The card still gives an image but it isn't recognized by windows as an R9 290 just as an unknown display adapter which is what it did before. Does anyone have any idea what could have caused this because I haven't done anything physical(outside of moving it) to the card since I last used it on the 17th of August.
    Also does anyone have any suggestions on how I should deal with the card basically being dead.

2. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    Fill out rma asap.

buildzoid says thanks.
  3. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    OK I'll bring it to where I bought it from because when I had problems with this same card model in the past they gave me my money back the day I brought it in. Th

4. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    That sucks, what do you wrap the card in when transporting it?

5. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    I think lots of people have been complaining in the past month for this particular card, I think I saw this on Newegg

6. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    The exact same packaging that it came in.

fullinfusion says thanks.
  7. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Thats pretty messed up man, and Im sorry that happened to ya.
    I sure hope you can RMA as that's a lot of money down the drain if not.

8. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    if you flicked the dip switch with the system powered on that might have done it .. extremely unlikely tho
    more likely there was a short in the PCB that was causing windows to not detect it

9. RealNeil

RealNeil

Thanks Received:
    He didn't have the problem with the AMD Box. It's the one in his system specs.

10. d1nky

Thanks Received:
    I think i remember someone else i chat to telling me the same. happened a couple months after purchase, randomly.

RMA it, i wouldnt try using it as the phase may not work or cause more issues. Plus the others would be doing more and out of sync.

Maybe its a design problem with certain cards... who knows?!

11. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    Except I've done this at least 10 times to both of my cards and until now both were perfectly okay except that the R9 290 was flaky with being recognized.

Either way Alza is really nice about RMAs. They replaced my last R9 290 and my Siberia V2s without any fuss about the details of how and why they died. They are also about 2-10% more expensive than any other e-store but I guess that goes into solving RMA this quickly.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2014
    eidairaman1 says thanks.