• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My Sapphire 9600XT 256mb arrived today!

Ripsaw

It's a red board version (red PCB board), purchased as a bulk packed peice (not retail boxed). Hey, it matches my motherboard :cool:

It has Hynix 3.3ns ram and a fairly healthy heat sink on the gpu core, although the fan in the heat sink is of expected stock size, but on the upside the fan is whisper quiet, can't even hear it.

A brief voyage into ATITOOL and seems the core is right at ATI spec for overclockability, since it will run at 525mhz stable but freezes at 531mhz. ATI's official Overdrive driver option will only run the RV360's @ 525mhz in full overdrive mode, or so I've read anyhow. I've heard of some RV360's running @ 550 stable, but this one apparently isn't one of them.

The good news from ATITOOL seems to be that the Hynix 3.3ns memory will tolerate 330/660 mhz without artifacts. That's as high as I've taken the ram for now.

GPU core temp hovers around 38C during easy tasks like internet browsing, and during heavy 3D it goes to around 50C at stock 500mhz speed.

Now, to get to work in ATITOOL finding the optimum memory timings (RAS delay, CAS delay, Memory Refresh Rate, etc)...