1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My smartphone is totaled..what can I do to get the data?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by happita, Jan 29, 2013.

1. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S1 (Captivate) with AT&T. It took it's last dive from my hands and is now cracked up pretty badly on Sunday. After it happened, the screen was extremely faded and green colored. Faded in and out when I turned it on (like a blind's shutters every 5-10 seconds it was on). I turned it off and figured I save battery, but after I turn it on today, screen is completely black now, but I still hear new notifications through the speaker. My 2-year contract ended in October 2012, but I still use the phone and pay AT&T every month to keep the line open. What courses of action can I take to try and get the screen/phone working again so that I can take data off of it?

p.s. I have pretty much everything saved on the phone memory (I do not have an external sd card attached to it)

Wasn't sure this was the appropriate section to post this under, mods please move if necessary.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  2. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    go buy or file a insurance claim and get a new phone and have AT&T transfer everything from your S1 to your new phone.

happita says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Silly question (perhaps) though while it's on and has a black screen as it still giving notifications have you tried connecting it to your PC to see if you can browse and salvage the data on it?

qubit and happita say thanks.
  4. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Get the screen replaced. Backup buy a new one

5. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    +1 to this. Sounds like a no brainer if the phone is still technically working.

6. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    I tried to use the phone's microUSB to USB dongle to plug into the PC once and I think it just automatically charges. I think since Android and Windows are 2 completely different operating systems it would make sense, but I will try it again and see if any notification pops up when I do. I will try it when I get home in a few hours and report back here.

7. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    If the touch function still works, see if you can output the phone to your TV.

8. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Yes, you could be right. My HTC defaulted to charge only. Had to use screen to select the storage option. My Nexus 4 default to media device and charge. Better option. Not useful to you though :(

9. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    You need Samsung Kies to access your fone from PC, without it you'll only charge... You should be able to get your stuff off it, if not AT&T will prolly charge you like $10 to do it. Good luck!

You can get the kies software from Samsung site directly...

10. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like the phones fine the screen is just bust, you can get replacement screens a plenty off eBay

11. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    Couldn't be any more wrong here my friend. Just pointing that out. Samsung phones will allow MTP mode without any drivers installed whatsoever. The only real difference is that some phones are set to automatically charge only, mine both s1 s3, note, and note2 all were set differently, my note 2 automatically opens up the file browser provided it isn't locked.

happita says thanks.
  12. 1freedude

1freedude

Thanks Received:
    Did you put custom from on it? Or is it stock? Find screenshots of stock from choices when plugged into USB. This could help you "see" where to press to activate mass storage.

Or, get one from Craigslist cheap and swap your guts into it. Easy as pie.

Or, use TV out if you set it up...like Kantastic said

happita says thanks.
  13. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    Just checked the screen again, it is unaccessible in terms of doing pretty much anything touch-wise. Phone just defaulted to charging only when I plugged it in unfortunately. My phone is stock. No custom rom installed, don't even know how to do it anyway.

So your saying I could get the Samsung Kies application, download it onto my PC and it should give me an option to access files on my phone?

14. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Nope. You need the phone to display a code to input to kies so it recognizes it as a device.

OR was that over wifi...crap, cannot remember. :p

15. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to hear about this. Can't be too nice.

You might just need an application from Samsung's website to access the data, perhaps? If not, due perhaps to some sort of silly corporate rivalry, then is there such an application for Linux for it?

16. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    I don't know anything. I own a Galaxy s2. I guess your only option is to smash it some more :D

17. 1freedude

1freedude

Thanks Received:
    Tell you what...I have a T-Mobile sgs t959...broken screen I'll send you. It works, but I don't know if they will work together. Or you can send it to me to try. I'm at work, but can send proof later I know what I'm doing.

Dave, I think you are thinking of kies air. I use it, but it needs configuring.

cadaveca says thanks.
  18. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    @happita

What kind of data are you trying to pull?

19. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    I never used Linux before, so I don't know, you got me by the short hairs :laugh:

Then my phone will be useless in that aspect because the screen is not useable in the least.

My necessary files are my Sound Recorder files (default audio recording app...don't know what format they are recorded in) and my Memo files (default note taking app)

Other files which arent necessary, but would be great to pull are also my pictures and recorded videos.

20. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Thats over WiFi :) will work normally.

Definitely give kies a go! i think you can pull everything from the phone, i might need to ask my brother how it works though

21. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    You could probably use ADB to pull all the files off of the phone.

22. tokyoduong

Thanks Received:
    Go to the ATT store and have the tech do it. I've trashed many phones for various reasons. They've got it down to a science at the store for all the phones they carry. They always do it for me for free and much faster than I can do it.

23. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    buy a nokia next time. i drop my phones and stuff a lot so it helps.

24. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Do you remember if you had debug enabled on that phone? If you did, I have a program that you can use to connect your phone via USB and control it like VNC. I used this program for about 4 months on my broken screen thunderbolt.

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Oh shoot didnt think about that. Probably SOL with ADB if his phone isnt in debug mode.