1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My son is going to buy said computer below.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by waspman3, Jun 27, 2013.

1. waspman3

waspman3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    My question is can this computer be upgraded and if not why? This is just a temp computer right now until we get more $$$. Have educated him alot on Vid cards and other parts of the computer that most people don't have a clue.

Compare
    $599.99

20% Off Battery Backup: Find Out How
    Save $20 on Wireless Networking: See How
    Save $20 on Office for PC: Find Out How

iBUYPOWER - Desktop - 8GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive

Model: GAMER EXTREME BB631D3 SKU: 6979787
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Technical details: AMD FX-Series processor; 8GB memory; 500GB hard drive
    Special features: 1GB dedicated graphics; HDMI output
    Customer Reviews: 5.0 of 5 (7 reviews)
    Check Shipping & Availability ›

2. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    You would have to link to the actual build, what you posted doesn't tell us doodley squat.

3. boogerlad

Thanks Received:
    If you were able to educate your son a lot, how do you not know the answer to the problem? As above, more specs are needed to arrive to a conclusion.

4. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/iBUYPOW...rive/6979787.p?id=1218818468711&skuId=6979787

FX-4100, HD 7770, 500GB HDD, 8GB RAM. For a prebuilt, I suppose it's alright. An FX-4300/6300 would be better but good luck getting one of those at Best Buy. The GPU seems to be a good match for the rest of the system at the least.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    All you had to do is google the model #

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/iBUYPOW...rive/6979787.p?id=1218818468711&skuId=6979787

Is upgradable but as with all Proprietary builds its questionable as to how much it will cost and how much work. They use cheap power supplies, and other parts to cut costs so if you want to upgrade the GPU your looking at a power supply also. The CPU upgrade would be a shot in the dark but should work. Same with memory. This is the problem with buying a system like this your not sure what your getting.

For slightly more you could build your own and control the parts you will get. A qualitly PSU is the heart of any build and would allow for upgrades in the future. This is why most of us here have expensive power supplies so we can swap parts and not worry about stressing the PSU

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  6. waspman3

waspman3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Was thinking you would know by model # and could look into it.

7. AliRaza

Thanks Received:
    i think ibuypower will charge great amount for shipping of the pc. i would say buy parts from a micro center if nearby, or other usual store such as bestbuy. mostly microcenter has great prices.

Edit it seems they charge less than 100. Still self build pc is going to be better priced

8. waspman3

waspman3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    multiquote is your friend!

I agree. We were doing research. He bought an HP Envy and the graphics card sucks. Thing is he wasn't there when his stepdad who doesn't know computers picked it out and now is mad. Supposedly the salesman told him it was the top of the line Gaming desktop and only paid $1,000. I think not. There will willing to give him $500 in a trade toward another computer or upgrade Vid card. I agree about starting from scratch, that way you know what your getting.

Didn't say I was a genius but am fairly educated in the field. I didn't know the answer so thought because of the lack of information Best Buy gave someone would know since they didn't have any pics of the inside of computer

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2013
  9. AliRaza

Thanks Received:
    500 wouldnt be bad and would be a total of $1099, for a high end gaming pc that is just enough.

10. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I believe you be better of keep saving and when the time comes build it your self's and make a project out of it :p..

Buying low end is going end up just costing you even more.. However if you cannot wait maybe second hand parts ?, which there is TPU members that have some good prices.

qubit says thanks.
  11. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    its not good.

12. Rowsol

Rowsol

Thanks Received:
    I looked at the link and I still don't know the mobo or the psu. I'd avoid that. Spend 600 at a place like ncix or the actual ibuypower website so you know what you are getting.

13. Boozad

Boozad

Thanks Received:
    I'd agree with that. It's entry level gaming.

14. shovenose

shovenose

Thanks Received:
  15. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    The config is not that good. If you spend that money on a custom rig, it will be much better.

16. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    Don't buy computers from salesmen. you must know a supa nerd in the family that could throw together a PC for you.

17. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    ibuynotsomuchpower-pc
    Build it yourself, its a good learning curve experience. There are people on here that can build to your budget and even assist with the put-together. The result will be an altogether better PC that wont be made of cheap knock-off components that will last, not to mention decent warranty, and probably more power.

springs113 says thanks.
  18. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    +1 totally.

@waspman3

I wouldn't buy this either like the others here, as it will turn to be a false economy.

This is one of those times where you've just got to byte the bullet and spend a bit more to get something decent or you'll regret it.

19. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
    708$ with 25$ rebite cards +3 free games.
    way better then bestbuy offer.

edit: toke me about 15min digging in newegg. with a little more time in online shops you will probably get even better prices

Attached Files:

20. tacosRcool

tacosRcool

Thanks Received:
    Hey I used to be a computer salesman! But I'm a super nerd like most of us here. Well there is always an option to go a pc off the shelf and replace the psu and put in a gpu.

21. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    Ya but by then for the same money you could do something like the newegg screenshot above and come out ahead. I say build it yourself, even if it ends up costing a few bucks more the end result will be better. Plus you get a chance to pick out exactly what you're after all the way around, and for me at least, most of the fun is putting it together lol

22. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Take the $500 and buy a new PSU and video card. Heck, for $500, you could also get a SSD and really speed up his system. For $500, you could buy the 3 items AND have BB install them, which would most likely make the non-computer people more comfortable. Ok, might have to drop the SSD. Don't start over with a cheap (and most likely cheaply made) computer.

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    I second this. A new graphics card , power supply and your set for any future upgrades.

You can't plug anything in wrong (unless you force it) and there are plenty of YouTube videos and all of us here to help