1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My SSD copy/move speeds

Discussion in 'Storage' started by newconroer, Oct 1, 2012.

1. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    I have never looked much into SSD Performance issues after I got my drive with exception to a few utility programs that measure speed. Results were fair and matched the OEM specifications.

I did the most recent firmware flash at the time and haven't looked back.

In the between time I have moved some fairly large files - some with many small bits of data, and others with larger chunks.

Before, I used Seagate style 7200 RPM HDD like most people, never seeing more than 70mb/s speeds and maybe 90mb burst (or there abouts).

With the SSD, I write to the other HDD(mechanical) at 150mb burst, then it drops consistently and hovers around 64mb/s. This happens also in similar fashion(with a smaller burst) when moving files from the HDD onto the SSD.

Otherwise the drive works great and as intended.

Is this common?

Additionally, the SSD is connected to 6G Sata and all data transfer is through the motherboard, not externally.
  2. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Despite the ssd being capable of great speeds, you're limited to the speed of the hdd you're copying to or from. To take full advantage of ssd speeds, you need to be writing or copying to another form of media that has the same speed ability.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    More likely you don't have TRIM active and it is having to clear blocks before writing.
    95Viper says thanks.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  4. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    And, if you cloned your SSD from the HDD... make sure to check if it is still properly aligned.
  5. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Steevo, TRIM is definitely enabled.

Viper, no clone, but good point.

I must have just assumed that writing to the HDD would be quicker than I was used to, but it works both ways - as Manofthem said, HDD would be the weak link.

So I need to buy more SSD, got it!