1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My Steam account was hacked - help please!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Red_Machine, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    Okay guys, yesterday some asshole hacked my Steam account and both my email accounts. I managed to recover my email accounts, but he changed the email associated with my Steam account so I cannot recover it. I contacted Valve yesterday but have yet to receive a reply even after prodding them and explaining that my payment details were stored in the account and they needed to do something about it ASAP.

Basically, I'm asking for help!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/BamBaz0r

This is the twat. He's changed my username and deleted all my friends, but I managed to locate it because he hadn't left any of the clubs I'd joined. Can somebody here do something about this? I don't wanna be waiting days for Valve to get off their ass and reply to me and have to go through several more days of security checks and the like. Hack him back, report him to Valve or just find his IP address and hose his hard drive. It would be much appreciated.
  2. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am really sorry to say this, but I think you are out of luck until Valve does something. Unless you figure out a way to counter-hack him.
  3. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    Nope.. none of us have magic account saving powers, gotta wait on valve.

Spend your time checking your computer for keyloggers.
  4. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, sorry, there's not a lot you or we can do. :( Also, while I totally agree with your sentiment, asking for someone to be attacked doesn't tend to go down well with the mods (forum rules) and it might be best to take that bit out of your OP. :ohwell:
  5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks like the TPU steam group has been hacked as well. I don't recall any of those people being administrators.

*Looks like either something is being done about this, or Steam is being hacked to hell and back because the link provided in the OP just gives an error now.
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  6. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    They are updating code to the servers so things have been up and down for the last couple of hours.

EDIT: See this, please. Last three replies.
  7. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    It comes and goes. It should be back up now.

Crazyeyesreaper says it'll likely take Valve several days to even respond to me.
  8. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    It has happened to me twice and Steam has been rather fast about it. Once you provide them with all the correct information they need they will get your account back in no time.

While it is difficult to watch the bastard play your games sadly you will have to endure that.
    Your guy seems much meaner than the one I had. The one I had just ignored all my friends, he didn't actually delete them.

Also I logged into my Banned Steam Account and started bitching the shit out of him and told him how I was sooo going to get my account back but that probably wasn't wise lol.

What I learned and suggest you do.

Never have your PC as the DMZ always have your firewall up router wise and software wise.

Use GMAIL!!!!! USE IT's PHONE VERIFICATION!!!

That way they need your phone to even change the password!!!

Goodluck.
    DragonBorn and qubit say thanks.
  9. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    You could check into filing a BBB complaint.

If their inaction to protect your account (the payment account w/ your CC and such) results in fraud, that could come back on them. The BBB complaints typically work to speed up their case a little bit if they are lacking on the speed department.
  10. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, it took nearly two weeks for them to acknowledge my Crysis 2 refund claim, although they did come through in the end (not gratiously though).

Whatever way your account was messed up, I'm confident that it will be restored to its former glory and with you as its rightful owner, the hacker you :)
  11. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Happened to me once. Don't wish this to anybody. I felt robbed, disappointed and helpless. But Steam was very nice considering I live on the other side of the pond they acted rather quickly. Good luck. I think in 2 days all was back, nothing lost.
  12. OneMoar

OneMoar New Member

Thanks Received:
    nothing they can to you should have been using steam guard .. and different passwords for both email accounts STEAM WILL NOT assist in account recovery because they can't prove who is the real owner
    you probly got phished and or keylogged
  13. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    A woman I'm friends with had her account hacked (and bank account drained of cash by the hacker by buying items in-game) preceding the huge forums (and eventually Steam) breach that happened about a month ago. It took a highly emotional month before she was refunded and about 2 weeks later she actually got her account back surprisingly.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  14. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    First off, I WAS using Steam guard. And I DID have different passwords on both email accounts. So don't lecture me.

Also, read the posts above you. How many people here have said they got hacked and Steam recovered their accounts for them?
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2011
  15. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    The woman I mentioned was using all available measures for account protection. Steam's servers were breached, and probably were again today causing all of this "unscheduled maintenance" to come out of nowhere.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  16. OneMoar

OneMoar New Member

Thanks Received:
    in certain circumstances they will but ONLY if you have access to valid id proving you are the account owner ( pay-pal transaction logs , sceenshots ect ect )
    the normal policy on steam is steam support does not deal with stuff like this 90% of the time because its been abused BY the hackers to gain access to the account

and if they got access to both your email accounts simply from phishing your steam account
    then you where IN-fact using similar login info for both email/steam accounts OR you have a infection of some type on your machine
    threes no three ways about that one
    I keep my steam accounts separated with completely isolated emails and passwords
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2011
  17. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    All the passwords were VERY different. No way he could have guessed them with knowing one of them. It could only have been a keylogger or something like that.

My valid ID is the CD key I used to register my first Steam game back in 2007.
  18. OneMoar

OneMoar New Member

Thanks Received:
    then i would check your system's over and do a double take of the steam site to make sure you didn't look into a phishing page or something
    a common assumption made by people whos accounts get pWnT is that some hacker used some leeet hackz to strait-hack the account
    thats not really possible 99.99999% of the time the account info was DOXd or Phished or simply bruteforced
  19. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Well, googling his nickname only gave up info that you're (probably) dealing with a romanian teen punk. I say be patient, calm and smart. You will get yourself out of this. Best of luck. :)
  20. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    settle down kiddies! keep it on topic and not personal.
    95Viper says thanks.
  21. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    So how do they "Hack" an account? And outside of Steam Guard, what else can you do to protect yourself?
  22. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    I'm telling yall man. Use GMAIL!!

Use gmail as your email for steam and turn on Phone Verification.
    That way if they target you and try to change your email's password they need your phone!

You'd be hack proof as far as I see it that way. I'll let yall know If I get hacked again using this method.
    Black Panther says thanks.
  23. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    If you have the physical CD key or a paypal receipt from buying a game on that account then they will get it back for you. Mine was returned after my deployment in Iraq but by then it was too late, the asshole got me vac banned for hacking cause he sucked so bad to resort to hacks
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. OneMoar

OneMoar New Member

Thanks Received:
    agree
  25. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    This isnt 4chan. Wait for valve, they have helped with every issue I have ever had including not being able to log in twice and having my account stolen once. What ever happens with credit cards or games or what not can be reversed. What your asking is illegal.

EDIT:: as for the TPU group being hacked.

[​IMG]

I just logged in and im still in full control. Only me and mussels on my end. I can promise you no one will be getting booted or banned and if you see that you are LMK and ill go talk to valve about it.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
    yogurt_21 and PVTCaboose1337 say thanks.