1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My (terrible) Experience with Skyrim so far

Discussion in 'Games' started by matteumayo, Nov 13, 2011.

1. matteumayo New Member

Thanks Received:
    So yesterday I bought Skyrim, and let it download over night, after seeing it at a friend's place on the 360.

It looked pretty good on the xbox, constant fps, no problems. My roommate with a slightly worse PC was running it fine with a constant 45-55 fps, on ultra except without AA. :D

So today I start it up, all ultra except for shadows on High, and AA off.

I got about 25 FPS on the carriage ride, looking both ways.

After getting off, looking straight forward I got 35 fps, to the right 60, and to the left 20-25.

So I figured, oh well, better turn down the settings then, for better performance.

So I did, pretty much all medium, forced VSync off, turned draw distances to minimum, and no anisotropic filtering.

The exact same thing happened. 35 fps forward, 25 to the left, 60 to the right. :confused:

So I figured, screw it, and just played the game. I get to this part where I'm following this guy through a door, walk towards the door, and boom the game crashes. My save's corrupted, and I'm pretty peeved about all this. :banghead:

Anybody know anything that could help my situation?
  2. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    if lowering setting didnt help then id say its the cpu. those athlons are sensitive to heat... mine got hot once and after that would crash any time it got to 130f. so check ur cpu temps. also double check ur sata connections and make sure theyre tight. since i replaced my athlon with this phenom ive had no probs... i used to have perf issues like urs all the time... but yea check temps
  3. matteumayo New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

I forgot to change my System Specs, my bad. I've recently (a few months ago) upgraded to a 955 BE.

Are those temps okay? I haven't OC'd it or anything.
  4. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    As others have said, it's a Bethesda game.

Fallout 3 had a slew of stability issues, that were only fixed later by some fan made mods and heavy heavy patching.

If your current system is unstable I'd recommend you check out the official thread in this forum: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2454744#post2454744

Otherwise, wait for the patch train.
  5. matteumayo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well if anyone finds anything before me, please post it here! I'll keep searching for fixes.
  6. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    whats the spu temp at full load?
  7. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    Did you lower the textures to medium too? I've noticed that my card really hates low-res textures (all the filtering, I guess) - it could be that it gained some performance from everything on medium, but lost a bit over the texture resolution.
  8. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    Off topic, but your RAM timings look really low for running 1333Mhz. Just thought I would point that out.
    matteumayo and erocker say thanks.
  9. stinger608

stinger608

Thanks Received:
    Not sure if this will help or not, but there was a recent article over at Maximum PC dealing with a ton of tweaks to better performance, FPS, and crashing issues.

Note that Maximum PC did in fact give credit where credit was due:pimp:

Skyrim tweaks at Maximum PC!

Hope this helps you and anyone else having issues:toast::toast::toast:
    matteumayo says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU