1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My Theory on the advancment of mobo's

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Solaris17, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    I was just hit with this thoery while taking a shower sure in the future mobo's are going to be crazy sophisticated etc.....but what is the next logical step forward? than it hit me...now keep in mind this is all theory and speculation so but i thought easy dual core North bridges...now here me out....the north bridge controlls the card slots and relays the info to the proc it also runs the HDD's and sound the NB takes care of it all!!! i mean sure some mobos have a shouth bridge but that also talkes to the NB so the NB does infact handle all transmission. So in AMD boards correct me if im wrong have an FSB and this FSB is actuall nothing more than the core clock of the NB chip. So rasing your FSB is technically overclocking your NB. Now that much is known however.....imagine if it were the same with intel which it may be..their NB's can run in the GHZ range..thats pretty fast....thats also alot of bandwidth....now if you think about it...your OS runs off of your HDD which patches through the NB and is calculated and fed back by your proc....so the NB in effect does the same amount of processing the CPU does i KNOW thats a loose term as the NB doesnt actuall number crunch much...but that means the NB mayinfact be a pretty big bottleneck..and speaking of bandwidth bottlenecks i got an idea...if they made a dual core NB the bandwidth available would increase...and though bandwidth is mosty limited by bus etc bandwidth between the proc NB and ram would dramattically imporve in theory....and if they even did this with intel it would be the same concept of having a second dual core proc running at like 1600mhz...whith this added core other possabilities open up as well like graphics cards...they use pci-e 2.0 which is something like 24GB/s right? well imagine like 50+ if the bus is OC'd not very usefull but that means future cards have alot more room to breath which means if a dual core NB was implemented they may over time eventually change the way they design cards...what do you think?
  2. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    How about the NB and SB on the CPU along with the memory controller:)
  3. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    dont push the limits damulta...lol j/k that would be crazy.
  4. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    You could also strap a GPU on the cpu on top of all that.

I can see this coming in the next few years.
  5. Silverel

Silverel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Onboard 50gb OS chips. Microsoft goes firmware.

That'd cut the hell out of piracy.
  6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I think the socket would take up half of an ATX motherboard! Seriously though, as chips are rapidly shrinking, this becomes more and more realistic.
  7. choppy

choppy

Thanks Received:
    motheboard combi boilers, they run so hot itl warm the water up for your house. energy efficiency an all that
  8. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Personally I already thought they slowly were going to make everything Dual Core. Right when Dual Core CPU's came out, I knew Dual Core if not Dual Chip GPU's were going to be next. So if anything this is a logical expectation or simply just a logical fallacy, but something for sure is going Dual on a Mother Board.
  9. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    thats what i figure i mean i know that eventually we may go go back to the simplicity of old computers with co processors onboard video etc...only in future to modern day turms like IGP that can play crysis on medium and a intigrated physics proc...but i mean imo dual NB is not distant at all these are some good ideas and theorys though its nice to know what ppl think will happen.
  10. theonetruewill New Member

Thanks Received:
    London - Close your eyes and you'll see me
    The All New Gigabyte Dual-VDROOP range - Now with 'Crappy Volt' Technology!

Think you're a decent overclocker - well try this new range for a real challenge. Even Fugger can't get a Core 2 stable with these - try your hand.
  11. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    The only problem with all this is the silicon flaws. Without those we would have 5Ghz quad core chips as the norm.

Singularity is still driving most systems due to the complexity and issues with making a system on a chip. Mebey in 10 years, but not the next few. Right now the slowest parts of a system are the memory and harddrive. As we progress I forsee hard memory drives and optical interfacing for components becoming the norm. Or more advancement on 3D optical or stacked storage.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  12. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Don't forget that AMD did this very thing with the memory controller - put right on the CPU. One of the reasons they held the crown for years.
  13. rangerone766

rangerone766

Thanks Received:
    i may be totally wrong here, but befoer we need faster/better hardware. we need software that can take advantage of it. hell even my quad core is very rarelly using all 4 cores at the same time. and if it is its only because i am multi tasking. we need the software written better before we need new hardware.
  14. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    Don't slow the system down:pimp:

That's like saying lets go back to 32bit CPUs because we don't use them
  15. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    i agrre but i was talking about what do you think is next for motherboards spacifically not weather or not we need it i think we already have enough we dont need.
  16. rangerone766

rangerone766

Thanks Received:

i'm not saying slow down on hardware advancement. i'm all for it. i was just saying we need to focus on software as much as hardware.
  17. ntdouglas

ntdouglas New Member

Thanks Received:

Good point Solaris. I've always thought, especially when it comes to overclocking, the boards chipset is everything. Like you said, its involved in almost all of the boards functions.
    Solaris17 says thanks.
  18. philbrown23

philbrown23 New Member

Thanks Received:
    :respect::respect::respect::respect::respect::respect::respect::respect: