• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My thoughts on Win7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Sarge

System Name Play Toy
Processor I7 920 OC 21*166 , Voltage CPU 1.11875 Stepping is D0
Motherboard ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer Xtreme REV 2
Memory 12 Gig Mushkin Red-Lines @1664 MHz, Timings 7 9 7 25 1 N, QPI 1.35 Dram 1.66
Video Card(s) GeForce GTX 260
Storage (2) 750 Seagates and (2) 1.5 Seagates All Sata 4 external HD's
Display(s) 24 inch Wide Screen LCD by LG
Case Antec 1200
Audio Device(s) Sound Max on MB
Power Supply Thermaltake 750
Software W7 Pro 64 bit
Yes of course. And just like newtekie said, disabling UAC which takes less than a minute, lets you run any app, whether its a legal app or an app that can take you to jail for the rest of your life lol.

I used Windows XP from the time it was released until end of last year and then straight off switched to Windows 7 Ultimate and no i didnt have any issues with Windows XP and i didnt have any issues with Windows 7 either.

Those security issues are there as many business people use Win 7 Pro, Ultimate and security is there for the safety of their files. Things like UAC are there to stop unwanted programs running with out the admin's permission which could corrupt their data. And i said before, you can simply switch it off simply from a few clicks ( Click the small flag on the right hand corner => Open Action Center=> Change User Account Control Settings and drag down the bar=> Click ok) :D

Well said even with UAC off you get a pop up asking if you want to run the program, you can then un-check the box that says always ask

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
I'm not going to go over specific parts of your post bit by bit. Crysis and Crysis Warhead both work perfectly fine with UAC disabled, I've played throught both several times without a single issue. Your problems are not related to UAC or Vista/Win7, as they are not common problems. If it was UAC causing the problems with apps/games crashing or not running, it would happen all the time every time, and be completely repeatable. What you descirbe is your computer being unstable. Things crashing randomly are a symptom of instability, not a UAC issue.

Now, again, for your complains about all the "administrative" actions that one must take, again all of that goes away when UAC is disable. There is no VirtualStore BS with UAC disabled. There is no problems uninstalling programs from control panel, not even an extra pop-up, when UAC is disabled. Documents and Settings is not locked with UAC disabled, you can access any folder you want without any hassle. If you are continuing to have problems like you discribed, then you obviously have not listenned to use or actually read our posts about disabling UAC, or you have not disabled UAC properly(I don't see how that is possible...)

Also, since you can't read posts, Professional and Ultimate editions both allow you to easily enable and use ONE true administrator account. So all your rambling about how Pro and Ultimate should be differeent...well they are! They allow this true administrator to be enabled and used with just a few simple mouse clicks! You can use that account, not have any of the hassles you describe AND have UAC enabled(since you think it needs to be for some reason).

I completely beg to differ - based solely on the fact that I've had UAC disabled (again) for 7 straight days, and I still have to take ownership and adjust security permissions to move folders and files, delete files, edit files, rename, etc. etc. I've gone this route before, thinking that mearly disabling UAC would put a stop to all this incessant, annoying "access denied" BS that Vista/OS7 are packed with. Fully disabling UAC does not put a stop to VirtualStore, nor does it put a stop to having to run programs with elevated privelages, nor to having full access to files and folders. Same is true for Vista.

As well, seeing as how you seem to be so sure about this mythical "one true administrator" account - do you mind explaining how to access it, log into it, and make sole use of it? Considering the astonishing lack of user accounts I have available with my installation, I'd have to assume that my administrator account - which I set up during installation of OS7 - is the sole administrator/owner account . . . it's set as "administrator," and has full security permissions. The only other account available is "Guest." I'd like to know just how deep into the registry and SYS32 folder I'm going to have to dig to enable this account that will grant me unwavering access to all my files and folders without having to continously take ownership of and run with administrator privelages - seeing as how all that should already be set in place with my account . . . and oddly enough, has always been so based on the properties>security> windows I have to open again and again for files.

Ummm... UAC being enabled prevents those from running without first warning the user. Disabling UAC allows them to run freely. That is the entire point of UAC.

Again, re-read our posts. All of your gripes are UAC related, and turning UAC off gets rid of them. So yes, this UAC is your primary gripe.

Re-read my posts, NT, my complaints are not 100% UAC related. If they were, all these annoyances would disappear with UAC completely disabled - as you and a few other users have pointed out.

System Name Ryzen Up
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard Asus ROG CROSSHAIR X670E HERO
Cooling iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB Series (AMD Expo) 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR5 6000 CL30 F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5NR
Video Card(s) MSI Suprim X GeForce RTX 4090
Storage 4TB WD Black SN850X| Crucial P3 Plus 4TB| 2TB Samsung 980 Pro
Display(s) SAMSUNG 57" Odyssey Neo G9/ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Power Supply Corsair RM 1000x Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum
Software Windows 11 Professional
Sorry but your the only one here having issues with UAC, enabled or disabled.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
sorry to hear it but format the machine and patch it before you install anything else.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I completely beg to differ - based solely on the fact that I've had UAC disabled (again) for 7 straight days, and I still have to take ownership and adjust security permissions to move folders and files, delete files, edit files, rename, etc. etc. I've gone this route before, thinking that mearly disabling UAC would put a stop to all this incessant, annoying "access denied" BS that Vista/OS7 are packed with. Fully disabling UAC does not put a stop to VirtualStore, nor does it put a stop to having to run programs with elevated privelages, nor to having full access to files and folders. Same is true for Vista.

You can beg to differ all you want, all you will be doing is begging and looking bad. UAC completely gets rid of all the issues with limitting the user and permissions. However, if you are moving old files and folders that were created with another install of Windows, then the permission might actually be screwed up, that would be the fault of the previous version of Windows that dealt with those files. In this case, you would need to take ownership and change the permissions. However, this is not a fault of Vista/Win7, and is not normally needed.

Disabling UAC does get rid of the virtualstore, and allows you to change all the files that already have proper permissions set without any hassle. It also does elminate the need to run programs with elevated privelages.

As well, seeing as how you seem to be so sure about this mythical "one true administrator" account - do you mind explaining how to access it, log into it, and make sole use of it? Considering the astonishing lack of user accounts I have available with my installation, I'd have to assume that my administrator account - which I set up during installation of OS7 - is the sole administrator/owner account . . . it's set as "administrator," and has full security permissions. The only other account available is "Guest." I'd like to know just how deep into the registry and SYS32 folder I'm going to have to dig to enable this account that will grant me unwavering access to all my files and folders without having to continously take ownership of and run with administrator privelages - seeing as how all that should already be set in place with my account . . . and oddly enough, has always been so based on the properties>security> windows I have to open again and again for files.

Becuase you are an idiot you assume your account is the sole administrator account, and like to make yourself look like a jackass and make posts filled with attitude:

This administrator account works exactly the same as an administrator on XP. Of course disabling UAC makes any administrator account work the same way as this true administrator account...but you won't believe that...

I know, it is like I deal with this shit on a daily basis for a living...oh wait...:rolleyes:

Re-read my posts, NT, my complaints are not 100% UAC related. If they were, all these annoyances would disappear with UAC completely disabled - as you and a few other users have pointed out.

Considering your complaints do go away when UAC is disable, everyone else including me have told you this multiple times, we all know it does, yes your complaints are 100% UAC related.

Processor A10-7850k
Motherboard MSI A88X-G43
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x4 Gskill PC3 1600
Video Card(s) MSI R9 270
Storage 120gb ssd / 640 gb hd
Display(s) Acer 24in
System Name Beast
Processor Core i7 10700K 4.5GHZ 24/7
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus
Cooling Master Liquid 240
Memory 32 gigs DDR4 3600Mhz Gskill RipJaws
Video Card(s) AMD Raedon 5700XT
Storage 1TB Samsung NVME, Western Digital 4TB storage
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp 34" HD
Case Cooler Master HAF XB EVO
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1000 Watt full modular
Software Win10 ENT 64Bit
+1 for newtekie1
Great newtekie1 you beat me to the lines.....:)
Just follow the instructions of newtekie1 and you will be the sole admin of your computer.....

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
No insulting other members please. Keep the discussion civil and respectful.

Thank you.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
+1 for newtekie1
Great newtekie1 you beat me to the lines.....:)
Just follow the instructions of newtekie1 and you will be the sole admin of your computer.....

Yeah, got an infraction for that... See he can be rude to us and call us all idiots, but when we do it back, its infraction time!:roll:

System Name SynChron
Processor Intel Core i7 3820
Motherboard ASROCK X79 Extreme 9
Cooling CoolerMaster Hyper 212X with 2 Noctua NF-F12 fans in push/pull
Memory 4x2gb Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 CL9
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 770 DCu2
Storage Samsung 830 128gb SSD, 1TB Western Digital Velociraptor, Seagate Barracuda 320gb 7200rpm SATAIII
Display(s) HP x2301 LED
Case Corsair Obsidian 750d
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Seasonic X - 660Watt Gold
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Yeah, got an infraction for that... See he can be rude to us and call us all idiots, but when we do it back, its infraction time!:roll:

Nice tutorial newtekie1!:) I shall try it on Vista!Thanks Man!:toast:

System Name Beast
Processor Core i7 10700K 4.5GHZ 24/7
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus
Cooling Master Liquid 240
Memory 32 gigs DDR4 3600Mhz Gskill RipJaws
Video Card(s) AMD Raedon 5700XT
Storage 1TB Samsung NVME, Western Digital 4TB storage
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp 34" HD
Case Cooler Master HAF XB EVO
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1000 Watt full modular
Software Win10 ENT 64Bit
Yeah, got an infraction for that... See he can be rude to us and call us all idiots, but when we do it back, its infraction time!
I think he should of got an infraction also...
You were only telling him the right way to handle an admin account...
Sorry to hear it bro... Suxs....

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313

Y'know, NT, I really appreciate the insults and patronizing . . . really, I do. I had always thought better of you than having to resort to such childish and immature behaviour. But, like I pointed out in an early post here, assumptions lead to eff-ups, right? :rolleyes:

I do have a retort for your post, but if I were to actual post the 3 words that come to mind, I'd probably recieve and infraction for it - but, I'd rather keep my clean slate clean.

Anyhow, let's cover this real quick:

(using this solely for example - there are numerous folders that deny access to simple file/folder operations and kick this exact same error box)

Whatever - I guess I obviously don't know how to set up my own rig, right? Or did I miss something in your "tutorial?" It's nice of you to post it, seeing as how I'm sure other users can find it very useful - but, personally, I find it quite insulting. Perhaps re-installing the OS for the 4th time will cure the problem, eh? Or maybe I should simply go back to Vista, where the same problems existed?

Y'know - eff it. This kind of childish retortion towards any other user from some of the long time users here is the sole reason why I don't enjoy hanging around TPU anymore. I had figured that perhaps taking a few months "break" from this place might see these kinds of behaviours mature through mod guidance . . . but obviously not.

I'm out, again, for now. I guess I'll be back in a few more months time, and keep my fingers crossed yet again that this "holier than thou" BS has come to a decisive end.

:toast:

I think he should of got an infraction also...
You were only telling him the right way to handle an admin account...
Sorry to hear it bro... Suxs....

Infraction? For what? Cite an instance where I insulted someone in this thread.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Oh good, you already are the true administrator account. Why did you ask how to do it then?

And you would want to access Documents and Settings why? I will gladdly accept that this is a problem if you can give me a valid reason why you would ever need to access that folder or any of the other folders you claim you can't access.

DrPepper

The Doctor is in the house
System Name Rusky
Processor Intel Core i7 D0 3.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6T
Cooling Thermaltake Dark Knight
Memory 12GB Patriot Viper's 1866mhz 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) GTX470 1280MB
Storage OCZ Summit 60GB + Samsung 1TB + Samsung 2TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos L32X20E 1920 x 1080
Case Silverstone Raven RV01
Power Supply Corsair 650 Watt
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg
I actually just switched to the true admin account and I got this shit :(

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero
Cooling EK FLT 240 DDC, x2 Black Ice Nemesis 360GTX, x1 EK-Quantum Surface P240, Phanteks D30-120 fans x9
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s CL30
Video Card(s) ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme AIRO
Storage Samsung Pro 980 2TB NVMe (OS and Games) // WD Black 10TB HDD (Storage)
Display(s) Samsung 49" Ultrawide Gaming Monitor
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply ASUS Rog Thor 1200 Certified 1200W
Software Windows 11 64 Bit Home Edition
Dude, WE really appreciate your opinion and the time you took to write this. I didn't read every detail about this thread but I saw UAC was popular. Now I will give you my two cents.

Your install has something wrong with it, so far I can't remember one person who has issues after they disable UAC. I did that on first boot up, I never got a pop up again bro. No crashes, no if and buts.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Oh good, you already are the true administrator account. Why did you ask how to do it then?

Because you said he probably wasn't, and behold he STILL has problems with it (wich this thread is all about). Seriously, don't be a prick man. You're being a prick right now.

And I'm leaning towards OP has other problems atm. No idea of what it is though. ^^

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
I actually just switched to the true admin account and I got this sh*t :(

http://img.techpowerup.org/100711/Capture002.jpg

Sorry for the thread use imperialreign, but I wish to help DrPepper and in no way, mean to affect your discussion.

@DrPepper> You, I believe, have logged into windows with a (built-in) adminstrators account. It has restrictions. There are two types of admin accounts, sort of (the sort of is hi-lited below).

Note from this page (User Account Control Step-by-Step Guide), you might want to read this very carefully(and it applies to Windows 7, too).

Quote of a note from the web page:
"To perform the following procedure, you must be logged into a client computer as a member of the local administrators group. You cannot be logged in with the computer (or built-in) administrator account because Admin Approval Mode does not apply to this account. (The built-in administrator account is disabled on new installations of Windows Vista.)"

And, for some features:"Advanced configuration options for UAC are not available in Windows Vista Starter, Windows Vista Home Basic, or Windows Vista Home Premium."

Also, remember UAC and ownership are inter-connected... but, different.

In a way, you have to have an admin give permission to an admin.:banghead:
The user account that installed it should be able to perform the action you are attempting.

Hope this helps, because it is sorta like being probed by aliens, you know it happened, but the event is fuzzy as sh*t in blue toilet water.:)

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Because you said he probably wasn't, and behold he STILL has problems with it (wich this thread is all about). Seriously, don't be a prick man. You're being a prick right now.

And I'm leaning towards OP has other problems atm. No idea of what it is though. ^^

I've already gone over two different other problems that might be effecting his rig, also.

And him asking about it, meant he didn't know about it. He wouldn't have asked if he was already using it, because he would have had to be told about it and read how to enable it somewhere, and every tutorial refers to it as the true admin account. Plus he said he was using the account he created during installation, which is not the account he is actually using.

Status
Not open for further replies.