1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MyBook backups and OS, a story with no pictures

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Atnevon, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Atnevon

Atnevon

Thanks Received:
    Ok. I'll try and layout this story as best I can.

So my laptop got hit with lightning from the ethernet port. Crap, I was able to back up though its hard drive, we'll call it HD1, on to my roommates WD MyBook external HD, we'll call that HD2. Now, I have an external 3.5 encased in an external enclosure, lets call that HD3. Now, I have a new computer prebuild, and waiting on insurance OKs and what nots. This new build will have a brand new SATA drive, that we'll call HD4.

Recap:
    HD1- laptop drive
    HD2- MyBook
    HD3- External 3,5
    HD4- New SATA

Lets do this situation. I format HD3, and want to put all the data from HD1 on it from HD2. How would I do this? If I do, would my XP Pro be copied as well, and will it go back to operating normally with just a 3 week period of not having anything new on it?

Same with HD4 if I get the computer built. How would I get the data (HD1) off of HD2 and onto HD4? Would then my new computer work like a charm?

This is a strange situation to me, so anyone with MyBook experience please let me know what I might be able to do.

Thank you everyone,
    Andrew