1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NAS Enclosure with Built-in BitTorrent Client

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by rampage, Jun 7, 2008.

1. rampage

Thanks Received:
    I am sitting here bored surfing the net at work when i come accross the NAS Enclosur with a bit-torrent client (http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=177_287_365&products_id=5676), are these setups worth while or are they just a waste of time, i am only interested as i dont like using my pc at home to do a lot of downloading as it is a power whore and just wastes power sitting there...

Dose anybody know this particular encloure, if so what is the bit torrernt software like? is it any good, dose it offer good control over the torrents for example Utorrent dose because i like to control the upload/download speeds, for example when i decide to game online i lower the upload speeds...

2. Tau

Tau New Member

Thanks Received:
  3. 1freedude

1freedude

Thanks Received:
    i don't have any idea about the NAS w/ torrent client, but i'm about to (~ an hour) resurrect an old P4 machine, bare bones as hell to act as a torrent client. my plans are to throttle it back as far as possible, drop a small 250 watt PSU, and run passive cooling. no vid card, no keyboard or mouse (after initial setup), no bull shit. of course, micro torrent (an old build, 1.6.1) will run 24/7. and its free

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  4. synaesthesia New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll side with Tau on this one; again I've experience with Synology hardware and both the diskstation and cubestations have full BitTorrent support and they're stonking performers & good looking too.
    Ideal really, I hate leaving my Boeing sponsored PC on overnight for the sake of a torrent :)

5. Tau

Tau New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have used pretty much every single Synology product on the market, all the way up to their rackmount NAS's and they are SOLID units.

6. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    A quick look at the review shows performance is far from great, the experience I had with QNAP so far shows far better numbers. However both are relatively expensive solutions if it's just for bittorrent. Building your own little server is most likely cheaper. It will lack the ease of use though. (not that it won't be easy to use, prebuilt NAS devices are just extremely easy to use)