1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NAS or build a home server?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by camoxiong, Nov 16, 2012.

1. TheGuruStud

TheGuruStud

Thanks Received:
    I snagged a couple BNIB promise supertrak ex16350s. I paid 125 each (which was too much, he was letting them go for 100 later).
    That's a 16 port hardware raid card (raid 6 too) and it came with 2 port splitters (so 4 drives each) and power adapters.

It's going to make a nice 12 TB server :D

Forget raid 5. Go 6 or 10. You want to be able to sustain multiple drive failures. Drives are too big and unreliable nowadays. One of those pos could end up erroring before it finishes rebuilding 2-3 TB, then you're up shit creek.

Wrigleyvillain says thanks.
  2. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like a familiar statement. :)

RAID-10 doesn't offer much in terms of better redundancy, just faster write speeds. You can lose at most 2 disks with 4-disk RAID-10 however you only need to lose 2 disks in some cases to kill your RAID. For media, RAID-6 would be more reliable and better geared for what he wants to do. RAID-10 makes more sense if you're going to be doing write-intensive work like video editing or running a database server.

3. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Right...it's just RAID 1 striped into 0. Less boring and more worthwhile perf-wise than reg RAID 1 but no "safer". And as I recently learned and mentioned in one of these threads the Intel ICH's RAID 10 can't read from all four drives (pretty sure it was read...at any rate the perf is generally not great either).

4. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Right, but RAID-5 gives you 3 drives worth of space in a 4 drive configuration where RAID-10 only gives you 2 drives worth of space. If it's just media, you want that extra space and you're not going to care as much about your write speeds because you'll be reading more than anything and you're going to want that space. Good HD video eats up a lot of space.

5. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Fair enough.

6. camoxiong

camoxiong

Thanks Received:
    Your right, so RAID 5 it is.

7. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    I call my home server a NAS, so there.

I picked up a 771 xeon server threw a 4 gigs of ram in it and loaded it with wd greens (*waits for newtechie to come in and say wd greens are terrible for raid, despite the fact I've been running those in raid, plus the ones in my primary rig for years without issue, not one single error)

it's a 4tb "NAS" (home server configured for NAS) simple dual core Xeon setup, works great.

Mines in a 2 post rack in my den and not everyone finds 2 post racks lying around nor rails for a 4 post rack case that fit a 2 post rack, but there's plenty of other options. Got an old 775 rig? shoot even Athlon 64 x2, almost all of those old rigs you have lying around will beat the prebuilt NAS enclosures.

freeNAS works well, but even desktop windows works with folder sharing, map the drive and have it replace your documents main folder and you're set. Just save everything to the NAS and use an external drive/online service to backup the most important things on the NAS on an automated schedule. This way you have redundancy without having to think about "whens the last time I backed up my stuff?"

8. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Well WD Reds and RAID Editions (REx) may be "geared towards" NAS and RAID arrays but sure a Green or whatever other drive would work just fine.

9. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Some RAID controllers may throw WD Greens out of your RAID if lack of TLER becomes an issue. For example, on my X79 the C600-series RSTe RAID controller will kick drives out of your RAID occasionally when you enable patrol read which scans the drive in its free time for errors. So even though it kicks drive out, verifying the integrity of your RAID will always come out good.

10. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    camoxiong says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. camoxiong

camoxiong

Thanks Received:
  12. TheGuruStud

TheGuruStud

Thanks Received:
    I bought the arc midi b/c it was 60 bucks and will still hold 10 drives (2 in the 5.25s).

I really wanted the Define XL (so good looking and full of features), but at 110, it just wasn't worth it for a server/nas. It's stupid good for a regular PC, though, if you love silence.