1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NAS, Raid 5 or Raid 6? Opinions wanted.

Discussion in 'Storage' started by mnm222876, Dec 13, 2008.

1. mnm222876 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys. I will be building a NAS. I'll probably buy a 4 or 5 diskless box and then add drives. I will go with 1 or 1.5 TB drives.

Questions:

Better to go 4 disks in Raid 5, or 5 disks in Raid 6? I know I get extra safety/redundancy with a Raid 6 array but, what will be the faster set up?
  2. HighEndToys

Thanks Received:
  3. theeldest

theeldest

Thanks Received:
    Not sure if this is the direction you're willing to go, but you should think about using a BSD system and ZFS (file system). ZFS has a raid option (RAIDZ) that can do 1 or 2 parity bits (the second parity bit has a tiny increase in storage used for parity over 1 bit).

The problem with RAID5 and 1.5 TB disks is that in the event of a rebuild, you're statistically likely to run into a problem. RAID6 can alleviate this issue, but ZFS has a more elegant solution.

Ok, realistically, with 1.5TB drives, you're unlikely to have problems (the issues will start when we get in the 3TB - 5TB drive). But you might as well read up on it to be prepared.

So I guess I'm saying RAID6.

Article about the Death of RAID5: http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=162
    Analysis of the article: http://dansdata.blogsome.com/2008/10/23/death-of-raid-predicted-film-at-11/
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  4. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    RAID5, RAID only protects against failing disks. If for some reason two disks in the array fail at once (or within a few hours, during rebuild) it's most likely due to some power surge or other external issue that causes the rest of the drives to fail as well. It's really unlikely that RAID6 protects you from something RAID5 doesn't.