• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NASA Physicist Unveils Warp Speed Spacecraft Design

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
I am a bit of a nerd when it comes to Sci-Fi. I love movies such as The Empire Strikes Back and Stargate, and as a kid I really enjoyed escaping reality by watching TV series like Star Trek. To me, the idea of traveling to distant stars or planets via wormholes or using a spacecraft, still gives me a sense of wonder. Maybe someday we will accomplish these feats and it won’t just be in the minds of people like George Lucas and Gene Roddenberry.

If it is going to happen, then I suppose mankind’s best efforts would come out of NASA. Faster than light (FTL) travel, may not be so far off in the future after all. NASA’s Harold White has been working over the last four years to develop a warp drive, which will allow a spacecraft to travel at speeds faster than light. White’s team has been working on a warp drive that would transcend space and shorten the distance between two points. This would allow the craft to break the speed of light and would be a spaceship with no speed limit whatsoever.

White currently heads up NASA’s Advanced Propulsion Team. He spoke about the concept of an FTL starship at a conference last year. His project has reached a new level of interest this week however, when he unveiled images of what the craft may look like. The images were created by artist Mark Rademaker, who has based them upon White’s designs. They show a technologically detailed spacecraft, which took more than 1,600 hours to complete.

Last November in Phoenix, US at the SpaceVision 2013 Space Conference, White discussed his design, the concepts, and the progress that’s been made in warp-drive development. The idea of a “space warp,” is a loophole in the theory of general relativity, which would allow for colossal distances to be travelled quickly, thereby reducing the travel time from thousands of years to just days.

During his speech, White described space warps as distant galaxies, which can bend light around them. The idea works on a principle of bending space in front of and behind a spacecraft. This would theoretically allow for the empty space behind the spacecraft to expand. The result would both push and pull it forward simultaneously.

White said at the conference, “There’s no speed limit on the expansion and contraction of space…You can actually find a way to get around what I like to call the 11th commandment: Thou shall not exceed the speed of light.”

Obviously the technology to create an FTL spacecraft or the warp drive itself, dose not exist as yet. But the artistic renderings Rademaker created may potentially be a model for the future. White says he drew from Matthew Jeffries’ 1965 sketches of the starship ‘Enterprise’ from “Star Trek,” in his design, as he says parts of that ship were mathematically accurate. He worked alongside Rademaker and graphic designer Mike Okuda to update the mathematics and produce what he believes to be a viable spacecraft.

http://news.filehippo.com/2014/07/nasa-physicist-unveils-warp-speed-spacecraft-design/

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Where can I get a job drawing "concept" art based off old TV shows for 1600 hours?

We have no idea of how any structure would handle the forced involved, much less how big the body would have to be to hold a reactor with enough energy to warp spacetime, for all we know they may look like minivans or shoe boxes.

Stuff like this is why Nasa is hard to fund, 40 weeks to make a drawing is all I read from that, how about 39 weeks 38 hours to clean up trash and 2 hours to copy a drawing off some other site another nerd made and pay him $50? We can't figure out how to keep planes in the sky, our internet free, CEO's from treating employees like crap, people from dying of preventable disease, starving and clean water, but we can afford to finance some jerkoff to draw and then go parading around a office showing it off like a 2nd grader with ADD?

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
I am a bit of a nerd when it comes to Sci-Fi. I love movies such as The Empire Strikes Back and Stargate, and as a kid I really enjoyed escaping reality by watching TV series like Star Trek. To me, the idea of traveling to distant stars or planets via wormholes or using a spacecraft, still gives me a sense of wonder. Maybe someday we will accomplish these feats and it won’t just be in the minds of people like George Lucas and Gene Roddenberry.

If it is going to happen, then I suppose mankind’s best efforts would come out of NASA. Faster than light (FTL) travel, may not be so far off in the future after all. NASA’s Harold White has been working over the last four years to develop a warp drive, which will allow a spacecraft to travel at speeds faster than light. White’s team has been working on a warp drive that would transcend space and shorten the distance between two points. This would allow the craft to break the speed of light and would be a spaceship with no speed limit whatsoever.

White currently heads up NASA’s Advanced Propulsion Team. He spoke about the concept of an FTL starship at a conference last year. His project has reached a new level of interest this week however, when he unveiled images of what the craft may look like. The images were created by artist Mark Rademaker, who has based them upon White’s designs. They show a technologically detailed spacecraft, which took more than 1,600 hours to complete.

Last November in Phoenix, US at the SpaceVision 2013 Space Conference, White discussed his design, the concepts, and the progress that’s been made in warp-drive development. The idea of a “space warp,” is a loophole in the theory of general relativity, which would allow for colossal distances to be travelled quickly, thereby reducing the travel time from thousands of years to just days.

During his speech, White described space warps as distant galaxies, which can bend light around them. The idea works on a principle of bending space in front of and behind a spacecraft. This would theoretically allow for the empty space behind the spacecraft to expand. The result would both push and pull it forward simultaneously.

White said at the conference, “There’s no speed limit on the expansion and contraction of space…You can actually find a way to get around what I like to call the 11th commandment: Thou shall not exceed the speed of light.”

Obviously the technology to create an FTL spacecraft or the warp drive itself, dose not exist as yet. But the artistic renderings Rademaker created may potentially be a model for the future. White says he drew from Matthew Jeffries’ 1965 sketches of the starship ‘Enterprise’ from “Star Trek,” in his design, as he says parts of that ship were mathematically accurate. He worked alongside Rademaker and graphic designer Mike Okuda to update the mathematics and produce what he believes to be a viable spacecraft.

http://news.filehippo.com/2014/07/nasa-physicist-unveils-warp-speed-spacecraft-design/

I think it would help if you remove the picture of the 1965 Enterprise sketch as it has little relevance to the actual technological piece you're talking about. The craft they are referring to has twin orbital rings (your first pic, though zoomed in so doesn't show the rings very well).

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
The final frontier would be leaving the Milky Way galaxy for another but even going from one solar system to another will be challenging.

You're not actually going faster than light here, you just travel larger distances than the light would travel in the same time. Meaning if you bend the space and "step through the gap" of bent space, you cover enormous distances and thus travel faster than light would. Ie faster than light.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
The final frontier would be leaving the Milky Way galaxy for another

And we'd probably ruin whatever's there too. I say we head out and leave all the politicians behind to fight over the broken rock they created.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I think my head is gonna explode. It's hard to get my head around travelling without following a straight line between two points, LOL.