1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NASA thinks watercooling is for noobs.

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Damn_Smooth, May 27, 2011.

1. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth

Thanks Received:
    http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2011-05/nsfc-nim052611.php

Sounds good to me.

SaiZo says thanks.
  2. qamulek2

qamulek2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like the stuff those liquid metal people made a year or so ago. Price was way to high to justify the fact it wasn't any better than heatpipe coolers. I, and some other people, thought they should have used liquid metal to move heat from the processor to a larger surface area that was in contact with heatpipes(or a water block). Since there are no moving parts, it would be interesting if AMD or Intel decided to use liquid metal(with electro pump) as a heat spreader; I don't think either company would like to try and justify the extra cost to consumers, but it would be nice if one of them would take a leap and just try it.

SaiZo says thanks.
  3. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Well it's easy to brag about that when you have millions to spend on some cooling used on rockets. But it's another using multimillion cooling solution in a 1000-2000 EUR worth PC. That makes little to no sense...

SaiZo says thanks.
  4. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    ^ Exactly

SaiZo says thanks.
  5. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    HOH is for n00bz . . . LN2 for teh win!! :toast:

:p

Damn_Smooth says thanks.
  6. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth

Thanks Received:
    I wish I had the funding and the confidence to do either. :eek:

7. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah :laugh:

HOH really isn't too bad - it's just a matter of getting the system to be efficient - IMHO, that's where a lot of setups fail. But even when in-efficient, they still cool much better than air.

LN2 is really a specialty, only meant for extreme benchmarking runs. Sadly, I can't think of any means yet to cool with it 24/7.

Then there's al the in-betweens. Phase cooling, peltiers, A/C, etc. Most of these are too advanced or expensive for the general user, so HOH really stands as the only "upgrade" from air cooling viable. But, as just about anyone around TPU will tell you - the best HOH setups consist of custom selected components to fit your specific cooling needs . . . i.e. non "pre-assembled" kits.

Damn_Smooth says thanks.
  8. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth

Thanks Received:

Someday man, I am actually going to grow a set and attempt water. I'm just worried about leakage and completely destroying my whole system. I haven't cried for a long time, but damn, I think that might do it, :D

9. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you're careful, and use some common sense, leaks are extremelly easy to avoid. For example - don't rely on those cheesy plastic hose clamps, use real "worm-screw" style metal band clamps. All pipe fittings should have teflon tape, or some other sealant applied to them, and don't tighten the hell out of em, either. You'll still need to run the system with the rest of the rig off to make sure everythings peachy . . . but there's really not much to worry about if you've taken your time. :toast:

Damn_Smooth says thanks.
  10. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth

Thanks Received:
    Thanks a lot man, I know who I'll be asking if I have any questions when I come up with the money to do this. :D

11. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ain't a thing, man - it's what most of us are around here for :p

Damn_Smooth says thanks.
  12. -FOG-

Thanks Received:
    If heat is your concerne then put your PC in a refrigerator or buy a few thousand kilometres of DVI and whatever wires/cables you need, take your PC to the south pole, connect it, come back home and you have constant idle temperature of -30 C . Damn, must say megaLOL at that..

LordJummy says thanks.