• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OFFICIAL Natural Selection 2: Combat (Review)

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Introduction

Natural Selection 2: Combat is an FPS/Action game with RPG elements driving the progress of the multiplayer matches. The game is developed by Faultline Games and published by Unknown World Entertainment. The game is made in the same engine as the previous NS2 game, the Spark engine. While the game has DX11, it is defaulty run in D3D9 mode for all players unless specified otherwise. You play either the Aliens or Marines with the general objectives being simplified in both Capture and Base mode games. The game is based upon the NS2: Combat mod, but is now going standalone for streamline and bug squishing purposes. It’s also considered to be the best way to entice new players into the otherwise complicated and elongated style of the first iteration of NS2. Similar to that of League of Legends and Counterstrike, the game is extremely skill and team based.

Storyline

As a marine, you need to kill all the aliens while on the way to decimating the alien’s base. Either that or defend a random point. The same goes for the aliens; the only difference between the two is the approach that is taken. As the game is multiplayer based, there isn’t really a basis for a storyline that would otherwise be forgotten and wasted on such a game. Like CounterStrike, a storyline really isn’t necessary, and all focus is on the gameplay and mastering controls.

Gameplay

I’ll split this into two sections, one being for the marine side, and the other for aliens, and cover both modes that seem to be the most played, the one I like to call a base-race mode, and the capture mode, similar to holding points in Battlefield Conquest, only with smaller maps and fewer points.

Base-Race:-

Both sides must be the first to destroy the enemy’s base. The marines “chair” as players call it, and the alien’s hive have a HP pool and a shield-like pool. The shield pool is the first to be damaged, but can be repaired, either by Gorger’s secondary attach, or the marine’s repair tool. Damage dealt to the main HP pool is irreparable. The first to destroy the enemy’s base wins. These matches can be over as quickly as 15-20 minutes. In the event you have a team of 8 vs 8, of developers and veterans, as well as terrible press players (like me), matches can sometimes last up to 45 minutes. In terms of gameplay for both sides, during the 96 hours live stream, I noted that about 85% of all base-race matches were won by aliens. Most of the time the alien team would struggle severely in the first part of the early game, and marines would mostly get a large lead in terms of kills.

Most games I played as aliens, I probably only got 2 kills for the entire early game, and had access to nothing besides the armour or speed improvements. Marines would simply get stronger and unlock the shotgun, which is a 1 or 2 shot weapon in CQB. CQB is the only way to get kills as an alien for the first two levels, so it gets incredibly frustrating. Aliens heavily rely upon swarm tactics, so if your team is not communicating and organising, you will lose the early game without question.

At the mid game, aliens get access to the Gorger, which is an awesome support unit capable of deploying two types of defensive units, barriers, heal all friendlies, and gain access to different types of attacks. Each attack and abilities will have strengths and weaknesses against certain opponents. The midgame is a nice even ground, by which point both aliens and marines will have counter units, abilities, and some armour and hp improvements, so the field is more level. This is the point where a lot of corridor supremacy becomes important, and allows your team to press forward. Obviously the maps have a dozen ways to reach the enemy base, so defensive areas are always necessary.

It took me a very long time to get to the mid game however, as I was new to the game, and had to learn how to use abilities. In the event you don’t get any more than 2 kills, you can’t reach the mid game as kills are required to gain levels and unlock the other units. If one side gets a lot more kills than the other, then they gain a massive tech and upgrade advantage and it makes the game very difficult to claw back. If you join a game midway through, you still start off at a low level with only a tiny amount of XP, so you get instantly KO’d by just about everyone and have to pray for some lucky kills. The issue is your deaths further increase the enemy team’s lead. It’s an odd turn of affairs, and something that needs to be looked into in terms of balance. I found it near impossible to provide anything useful to my team if I joined midway through, and did not have very much fun at all playing the game to its end. By this point most marines will have shotguns or heavy rifles, as well as grenades of varying types to counter certain types of aliens. A lot of the cluster grenades will instakill weaker aliens with pure attack and speed upgrades, and defence turrets slaughter the weaker aliens. The midgame is also where tunnels (for aliens) and gates (for marines) are deployed to circumvent the use of corridors and make surprise attacks.

Late game was odd. The second the aliens got the Onos, not even the marine’s late game mechs could kill them. After trying out both mechs, rail gun and Gatling gun, I found neither was capable of taking on a single Onos one on one in any situation. It seems a little strange to me, but the endgame marine units are best at taking on early to mid-game alien units. The alien late game units however, can decimate just about anything. This process of events is what led to aliens winning almost all matches I played. I tried both sides evenly, and marines struggled to win any games, despite dominating the early game in almost every case. There were some occasions when a heavy cluster of marines was able to take out two Onos, but only with a number of us throwing grenades and equipping flamethrowers and grenade launchers. Even then, the Onos were able to kill a large portion of us.

The game mode almost always ends up being a base race, where whoever can get the most endgame units through a tunnel or gate to the enemy base and deals more damage in a quick burst wins. So despite the best of planning, you can lose simply because 3 Onos charged into your base and killed every single defender.

Capture:-

The gameplay is largely similar to Base-Race, only with 3 capture points. My one irritation with this mode was that the minimap does not specifically state which points are A, B and C, the points are merely marked with a white hexagon. There is then a map on the lower part of the UI which shows where each point is, and labels them. I genuinely don’t understand the point in this, and they should have just labelled the points on the minimap clearly and removed this extra map. As it stands, new players who hear people screaming over the comms “GET TO B! YOU’RE GOING THE WRONG WAY” get frustrated, because we simply don’t know which point is which. It needs to be clearer. It’s all well and good if you’re a veteran and know the deal, but this is a big off-put for me, a new player. I also found that a single marine with a heavy rifle very early on in the game was able to camp and kill almost every alien that tried to attack down one corridor within the first 2 levels of alien evolution. It took about 5 tries to finally kill him with another player acting as a decoy. Again, marines seem to dominate the early game as usual, but it gets more even the further into the game you go. In this match type, I did notice that the win/loss ratio was a lot more even for both sides. I even managed to get top on the kills list in this mode for a single match.

Kills award XP, and XP levels you up slowly throughout the match. Each level grants you a skill point, or for aliens, an evolution. Each point can be spent on the following:

Marines –

· New weapons, unlocked for skill points, but only available after reaching certain levels

· Upgrades, including Armour and HP pool, and weapon Damage

· Items

o Grenades of varying types, with strengths and weaknesses

o Support items, including ammo replenishment, alien scanners

o Deployables, these include “gates” which when placed allow marines to teleport across the map, and turrets for point defence

· At level 10, marines can access the big mechs, equipped with chain guns, rail guns etc.

Aliens –

· New aliens, including Gorgers, flying units, stealth units, and the massive endgame units, the Onos

· Abilities, varying depending on alien, including bile bombs for armoured opponents, and poison clouds.

· Upgrades, including Armour and HP pool, Health regen, and movement speed

· Passives, including increase in all damage, but increase in energy cost of abilities

In general the gameplay is good; however it took me 2 evenings to learn how to play the game. If I weren’t reviewing this, I’d have stopped playing and uninstalled the game after 2 hours. I have to be honest, and in my experience as a new player to the game, it is immensely frustrating. The difficulty curve is ridiculous to begin with, and the skill ceiling is immensely high. In my first evening playing the game, I probably got about 3 kills after 4 matches, because there was no way to teach you how to play either race, what their abilities were, how to activate them, and what was effective against something else. The brief video tutorials are not enough to equip a new player with confidence that they know what they’re doing. Only after asking in general chat and voice chat did the developers and veterans explain things. Even after that it took me hours to get used to playing any character from either team. Most of the people playing were veterans, with very few new players from the press like me. All of us were at the bottom of the leader board, barely getting past level 3, and were getting completely trashed by the players who knew how to move around as an alien, and what guns were effective against certain aliens.

In Beta there were no matchmaking options, however I’ve been told that will be available on launch.

Controls

Most of the controls are standard FPS controls. For marines, 1 is your primary, 2 is pistol, 3 is knife, and 4 is grenade (costs a skill point to unlock). In the event you unlock deployables, 5 is the menu to choose from, and then it’s 1-4 to choose a deployable (if you have it unlocked). F is for flashlight. As for the rest, you point and shoot at things that move. Nice and simple, although in the middle of a firefight, it’s a bit difficult to quickly deploy a turret. Probably not advised, but leaning over to 5 and then pressing 1 while dodging is no easy feat.

As an alien, things get more complicated based on what you’re playing. The starter unit can jump and climb across any surface, and the general climbing can get a bit clunky. You don’t unlock any kind of secondary ability like leaping at enemies until later on in the early midgame, by which point you’ve probably switched to a different alien after getting tired of being 2 shotted by everything. Gorgers can’t climb anything, but they can slide everywhere by pressing shift, which is actually marginally fun. Gorgers can deploy tunnels, defensive “plants”, sticky lines to slow marines, and clots for blocking off access to areas. They can also heal units with secondary fire.

The flying units have a ranged but extremely weak attack, and their primary is the same as the starter unit, which is a melee bite which takes about 3 body shots to kill your average marine. They fly by flapping their wings, the faster you tap space, the faster you fly in the direction you’re facing. This can be pretty tricky to get the hang of, but abusing the flying mechanics can help you get in and out of places with some skill. The stealth units can teleport in and out of combat, and make quick mincemeat of singular marines, they’re also rather tanky. I recall shooting one with 3 or 4 shots with the shotgun and he was still standing and impaled me shortly after.

Onos are stupid, stupid endgame units. Stack armour and charge in and click as fast as you can on those meat bags. No complicated controls for those.

Video Settings

A nice selection of options, including the choice to use D3D9 or DX11. Ambient Occlusion is a bit weird for aliens. I turned it on for benchmarking, but I wasn’t a fan of the fish eye it caused. It also has an Oculus option! Kudos for that. The graphics are nothing particularly special, they’re not quite AAA, and reminded me of a slightly higher poly count version of Doom 3. Certainly nothing to compare with the likes of Battlefield, but the lighting and colour is quite nice on the more vibrant maps, but be prepared to see a lot of brown and grey. It also has a super nice feature that lets you select just how much VRAM you have. This is for sure something I’d like to see in future games.

System Performance

CPU: i5 4670 (Stock)
GPU: MSI GTX 970 (Stock)
RAM: 16GB 2133mhz
Storage: WD 1TB 7200RPM
Display: 2560 x 1440

On standard 1080p the game runs perfectly fine in all cases, with very little frame drops below 60FPS. I honestly didn’t notice anything poor in that area. As for 1440p, there are a number of areas where the game tanks slightly, but because the game is so intense, I didn’t honestly notice any of it. It’s worth noting that the game is probably heavily GPU orientated, as both settings saw the CPU at roughly the same load in both cases.

1440p

1080p

Conclusion

Natural Selection 2: Combat is an odd one to talk about. The game is terrible to new players, frustrating, demoralising, and altogether unenjoyable for the first 2 – 4 hours. I honestly didn’t want to carry on playing, as I didn’t understand everything, and there was no way of learning other than checking the internet and asking experienced players. It starts off as a pretty large brick wall, and takes ages to get over it. Even after all the time I spent, it still takes me a very long time to get past level 1 or 2 as an alien in every early game example. That’s pretty frustrating, and if you don’t have voice comms turned on at least, and don’t organise ambushes, then your team will be stuck in terms of advancement. Climbing about as the starter alien is something you have to capitalise on in the early game, but I find the jumping and general movement pretty clunky and awkward. Even when I successfully sneak attacked a marine on his own; he could turn around and kill me with a short spray of bullets.

The late game needs some severe balance for new player games. Get 4 Onos as the aliens and the game is won. I’m sure that in games with experienced players, this is not an issue, and they know how to counter these things, but even in games with the devs most matches were won as soon as we got more than 2 Onos. When I played marines, I was in a mech, and it was completely worthless against the alien’s endgame units. Even the melee on the mechs is entirely worthless, and takes almost a dozen hits to kill a basic alien unit. Even with matchmaking in perfect condition, I feel the late game is going to be a massive issue for a lot of new players. I also honestly found the marine side a little boring from early to mid-game, as you would unlock a couple of guns and run around and shoot things with not a lot else going on. As aliens, midgame was a haven for trying different things; making tunnels, blocking passages, making webbed areas, deploying defences, sneaking through vents, and generally providing massively different play styles for every player. Midgame as aliens was where I really enjoyed myself. I ended up levelling up as a Gorger (tier 2 alien) about 7 times, and really found my element with that class.

After spending a few days playing the game, I did eventually get to a point where I was genuinely enjoying myself, could get to grips with counters, learnt movement techniques and provided a decent contribution to my team. It got pretty tense at times, and I felt really involved in what was going on. I imagine for all players who liked every Natural Selection game out there, this is a great addition. If you’ve never played Natural Selection, you need to consider the fact that you’re going to suck at it. You’re going to die, you’re not going to kill anyone, and you won’t get to play any endgame units for a few matches. The skill required for early game aliens is quite high, it’s immensely frustrating, and requires a lot of time to learn how to play properly. If you are looking for a new game to spend most of your free evenings progressing on, then I can say you will eventually enjoy NS2: Combat without a doubt. The game becomes extremely rewarding to good players, and the community around the game is amazingly friendly.

If you’re looking for a multiplayer game to dabble in, there is little point in looking at this game. You will not be happy playing it. Ask yourself if you have the patience to learn to play Counterstrike, or League of Legends, or DotA from scratch and become good at it. If you do, and have the time, NS2: Combat is most definitely worth a try. It brings some super interesting play to the FPS genre, and rewards good players. If you don’t want to spend hours becoming skilled in basic movement and combat, while dying every minute of gameplay, you will not have fun playing this game.

Natural Selection 2: Combat is available on Steam for £8.99/$14.99

Last edited:
Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
So, aside from marines being able to win early, this is identical to NS2 lol

They killed their own game by lavishing aliens in extreme perks and nerfing 'rines a long time ago. Brilliant.

Even now the balance is horrendous. Once the invincible fades are up, even if marines own the map, they lose.

(Wow, there's a lot of commas missing in that)

Last edited:
System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro

Entirely identical. It is literally a mod turned into a standalone game. Not sure on the price, as it is essentially a DLC/Expandalone with nothing new from the original besides fewer bugs and different imbalances.

Once the invincible fades are up

Once the Onos were up, I've never seen the marines win besides once(only because the alien team was disorganised).

Marines do vastly better on capture mode, and on a vertical map with jetpacks. The jetpacks make almost every alien and their ability worthless unless you also take to the skies.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
Sad. NS2 can be amazing and addicting when player skill is perfectly balanced to hide the game's flaws.

Blizzard should take this over...
Entirely identical. It is literally a mod turned into a standalone game. Not sure on the price, as it is essentially a DLC/Expandalone with nothing new from the original besides fewer bugs and different imbalances.

Once the Onos were up, I've never seen the marines win besides once(only because the alien team was disorganised).

Marines do vastly better on capture mode, and on a vertical map with jetpacks. The jetpacks make almost every alien and their ability worthless unless you also take to the skies.

I agree. I just meant that fades are the point of no return. A good marine team can hang on till the onos push them back to base.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Blizzard should take this over...

It doesn't need a takeover per se, it needs balance. Simply put, marines are boring to level up and aliens are interesting to level up. They need to make the marines more interesting besides buying different guns, and they also need to balance out the game for new players (see Onos vs Mech video). As it stands, I see no reason for a new player to be enticed to play the game. Veterans will love it, because of the skill requirement and the ceiling on it. It is satisfying to play if you learn, but if you're not willing to spend a couple of days learning (and dying A LOT), look elsewhere.

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
NS2 is great. You guys ever play Tremulous? Very similar but quake engine, I think it was a better game actually.

http://www.tremulous.net/

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
NS2 is great. You guys ever play Tremulous? Very similar but quake engine, I think it was a better game actually.

http://www.tremulous.net/

To be honest playing this game for the last week has made me want to boot up UT 2004 and look for some obscure eastern European servers to play on. It definitely has that old-style shooter vibe to it, but I enjoyed UT'04 more because I played it when it came out (and gained skill at the same rate as other players).

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
UT 04 was pretty dead last time I installed it a few months ago, UT99 has a few people still but not many.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
detailed review. me like.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
detailed review. me like.

I was slightly worried about this one. This is the longest I've written so far, and I was debating as to whether my conclusion was too long.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
UT 04 was pretty dead last time I installed it a few months ago, UT99 has a few people still but not many.

Depressing. Those games and tribes 1/2 were staples of my "childhood."

Onos can't do shit against jetpacked marines (though i like knocking JP's from the "sky" with the Onos. It's fun :) Just like marines without JP can't do much against Onos unless if you're really good at dodging and with lvl 3 shotgun, it can be done.

As for the mod turned into stand alone, it's not exactly true. A lot of new menus have been added, many new abilities, diferent upgrading system, points scoring system etc. Basis are the same but the game has evolved very far.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
So is this free or a paid game at present? whats it cost? thats the one thing i didnt see (i admit, i skimmed some parts)

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
So is this free or a paid game at present? whats it cost? thats the one thing i didnt see (i admit, i skimmed some parts)

See the end of the review, I state the price in every review ending :laugh: £8.99/$14.99

I got it for free though! Perks of being press!

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
See the end of the review, I state the price in every review ending :laugh: £8.99/$14.99

I got it for free though! Perks of being press!

Need a big steam sale lol

Seriously people, game costs 15 bucks (-10% for the first week of release) and you'll wait for a sale? I've just played both sides right now and it's pretty good. Already found few glitches and the buy menus are very confusing and unclear compared to the free mod for NS2. There you had a clear buy this for that and you could see what level each upgrade was in an instant. Here it's all too fancy and detailed. I really prefered the basic icons from before, because you could instantly see what's what. But now i need like 5 seconds to even see what i already own. We'll have to talk with the team about this...

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
Seriously people, game costs 15 bucks (-10% for the first week of release) and you'll wait for a sale? I've just played both sides right now and it's pretty good. Already found few glitches and the buy menus are very confusing and unclear compared to the free mod for NS2. There you had a clear buy this for that and you could see what level each upgrade was in an instant. Here it's all too fancy and detailed. I really prefered the basic icons from before, because you could instantly see what's what. But now i need like 5 seconds to even see what i already own. We'll have to talk with the team about this...

The game is basically dead b/c they wouldn't fix it, so they release another game mode and charge for it.

They don't deserve any money.

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
Edit: Also, if anyone is interested the 96 hour livestream is up for 4 more hours. http://www.twitch.tv/faultlinegames

Thank you for writing this thorough review @RCoon. As a veteran it was interested to read what the experience is actually like for a new comer. NS has always been oldschool and more of a hardcore game and I really appreciated you highlighting this and the amazing community surrounding it. I can't say anything is wrong with it, except that maybe your balance commentary is somewhat off. That only further highlights your point that the game is not new player friendly. I also really enjoyed your performance comparison to other games because I never saw anything as detailed as that for ns2.

On combat being entirely identical to ns2 I disagree. It is from the same lore, the same universe, so using the same models and basic attack mechanics makes sense. Combat plays like a very different game. If they called it Combat (not ns2) and replaced all ns2 based models and lore with something else would you guys think it was a different game? Those are simply aesthetic measures.

I do agree maybe it should've been put with ns2 at launch, but that could not happen for financial reasons. Combat itself would not of been made if they didn't think they could make money. There are benefits to having it as a stand alone, such as far better performance too. I wish things could of been made better but indie developers have limits.

The game is basically dead b/c they wouldn't fix it, so they release another game mode and charge for it.

By "the game" I assume you mean ns2. Yes it has less players now than it did before release which is about ~500 daily. The game is far from dead though. If I can still go out and play a quality fun game I do not think it is dead. It is not that UWE wouldn't fix issues with NS2 but that they couldn't afford to. Now ns2 is being worked on by the Community Development Team which have fixed so many bugs, increased performance, and will be continuing to do so as long as the game still has a community.

You say "they" release another game mode and they charge for it like it is a bad thing? First of all it is a different game. Second, UWE may be publishing combat but the game is being made by a different game studio called faultline games.

You say "they don't deserve any money" and I don't know who you mean by "they". Do you mean UWE or FLG? FLG put months and months of work into making combat. Are you saying that work is worthless? Or are you talking about UWE who did not make combat?

Ns2 has had an abysmal player retention rate. It was not new person friendly requiring 10's of to know what's going on, and 100's to really understand the game. Combat I was hoping would be a lot better in this aspect, but as rcoon has shown me it has not made as much progress as I had hoped. At least it only takes a couple hours to know what is going on, although an improvement, it is not enough.

I also want to point out that balance is very tweakable and will probably change shortly after release based on the larger sample size of players.

Last edited:
Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
Thank you for writing this thorough review @RCoon. As a veteran it was interested to read what the experience is actually like for a new comer. NS has always been oldschool and more of a hardcore game and I really appreciated you highlighting this and the amazing community surrounding it. I can't say anything is wrong with it, except that maybe your balance commentary is somewhat off. That only further highlights your point that the game is not new player friendly. I also really enjoyed your performance comparison to other games because I never saw anything as detailed as that for ns2.

On combat being entirely identical to ns2 I disagree. It is from the same lore, the same universe, so using the same models and basic attack mechanics makes sense. Combat plays like a very different game. If they called it Combat (not ns2) and replaced all ns2 based models and lore with something else would you guys think it was a different game? Those are simply aesthetic measures.

I do agree maybe it should've been put with ns2 at launch, but that could not happen for financial reasons. Combat itself would not of been made if they didn't think they could make money. There are benefits to having it as a stand alone, such as far better performance too. I wish things could of been made better but indie developers have limits.

By "the game" I assume you mean ns2. Yes it has less players now than it did before release which is about ~500 daily. The game is far from dead though. If I can still go out and play a quality fun game I do not think it is dead. It is not that UWE wouldn't fix issues with NS2 but that they couldn't afford to. Now ns2 is being worked on by the Community Development Team which have fixed so many bugs, increased performance, and will be continuing to do so as long as the game still has a community.

You say "they" release another game mode and they charge for it like it is a bad thing? First of all it is a different game. Second, UWE may be publishing combat but the game is being made by a different game studio called faultline games.

You say "they don't deserve any money" and I don't know who you mean by "they". Do you mean UWE or FLG? FLG put months and months of work into making combat. Are you saying that work is worthless? Or are you talking about UWE who did not make combat?

Ns2 has had an abysmal player retention rate. It was not new person friendly requiring 10's of to know what's going on, and 100's to really understand the game. Combat I was hoping would be a lot better in this aspect, but as rcoon has shown me it has not made as much progress as I had hoped. At least it only takes a couple hours to know what is going on, although an improvement, it is not enough.

It's irrelevant to me who actually made it. It's still the same game. If they wanted to make money, then they should have fixed the original. No one was playing NS2 before the community took over. I tried and what few servers were populated couldn't be filled.

I've played combat mod a decent amount and it's fun. But I get bored after a bit and go back to vanilla for some strategy. Why would I pay? There's no incentive. I'd rather the whole game be redone correctly (with more vanilla play maps) and pay more.

Processor 7800x3d
Cooling Custom Water
Case ThermalTake P3
No one was playing NS2 before the community took over. I tried and what few servers were populated couldn't be filled.
Your profile on the left says your from america. If so that is very false. I can not remember a time when servers couldn't be populated. If you were in australia or asian pacific area that would make sense. It also makes, less sense because we have less players now than we have ever had. Not by any fault of their own, there has been nothing but a decline in players since the CDT joined but that is just a continuation of the trend.

I've played combat mod a decent amount and it's fun. But I get bored after a bit and go back to vanilla for some strategy. Why would I pay? There's no incentive. I'd rather the whole game be redone correctly (with more vanilla play maps) and pay more.
This statement makes perfect sense. I actually was going to wait for a steam sale to get combat. I didn't see the point. But I ended up participating in the 96 hour livestream and got a key for free. I rarely play/ed combat mod because I would much rather have a proper game of ns2 going. Having now played ns2: combat, it is a very different game that ns2 and combat mod. It is fun in its own unique way. You already know it is a different game by playing combat mod, but is is far more than that. It took everything combat mod was and made it into a real game. There is actually some strategy in ns2: combat. Nothing compared to ns2, but it is there. Could you place phase gates in combat mod? Gorge tunnels?

I don't know how else to say it, but I wasn't going to buy ns2: combat but after having played I find it worth every penny of the $15. I will probably go buy a copy anyways to use in a tpu game giveaway just because I appreciate the work put into it.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
Your profile on the left says your from america. If so that is very false. I can not remember a time when servers couldn't be populated. If you were in australia or asian pacific area that would make sense. It also makes, less sense because we have less players now than we have ever had. Not by any fault of their own, there has been nothing but a decline in players since the CDT joined but that is just a continuation of the trend.

I should clarify. This was at the height of dissatisfaction like a year ago (I'm bad with time so idk) and people had quit in droves. People were posting on the forum asking if it was dead b/c there were so few players.

You're probably right that there were still players, but if the ping is over 100, then they might as well not exist. Servers mostly on the West Coast? I guess half the blame lies on our 3rd world infrastructure, but there were plenty for me to choose from, before.

I would run a server if this country wasn't a shit hole. I can easily spare a cpu core, but I can't spare u/l bandwidth when you only get 5 Mbit (100 down).

Processor 7800x3d
Cooling Custom Water
Case ThermalTake P3
I should clarify. This was at the height of dissatisfaction like a year ago (I'm bad with time so idk) and people had quit in droves. People were posting on the forum asking if it was dead b/c there were so few players.

You're probably right that there were still players, but if the ping is over 100, then they might as well not exist. Servers mostly on the West Coast?
People have been claiming NS is dying since NS. It is still the height of discussion. That has not changed.

NS2 and NS2:Combat are NOT the same games. They share main content and graphics engine and that's it. The NS2 "mod" was not maintained anymore because the team was working on this full game. By "mod" i mean home brewed modification for original full NS2 game. This time around they got full access to the game engine, full support and full capabilities. Something they didn't have before. But having access to all that required partnership with UWE in terms of being their publishers. If you think it's not worth 15 bucks, fine, but i disagree. There are many games that cost less and offer way less. And while NS2:C looks easy on the surface, it still requires to become good, like most FPS games.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro

I also want to point out that balance is very tweakable and will probably change shortly after release based on the larger sample size of players.

Definitely appreciate the input of a veteran. I didn't feel entirely qualified to write this review in its entirety because I could see by the chats the veterans were having in game that they were really into it and enjoying themselves. Judging from what I've seen it is a vast improvement on the bigger previous title in terms of new players. All I can say is that I hope the matchmaking brings it some justice, because it was hard for me to try and find fun for a long time.

I will emphasise though, after a large number of hours playing, I did enjoy myself quite a bit as aliens. If you're willing to put in the time, the game does feel very rewarding in the end!

Processor 7800x3d
Cooling Custom Water
Case ThermalTake P3
Definitely appreciate the input of a veteran. I didn't feel entirely qualified to write this review in its entirety because I could see by the chats the veterans were having in game that they were really into it and enjoying themselves. Judging from what I've seen it is a vast improvement on the bigger previous title in terms of new players. All I can say is that I hope the matchmaking brings it some justice, because it was hard for me to try and find fun for a long time.

I will emphasise though, after a large number of hours playing, I did enjoy myself quite a bit as aliens. If you're willing to put in the time, the game does feel very rewarding in the end!
Ns2: Combat will be have matchmaking and ranking from the start. This is something ns2 lacked and probably hurt it in the long run. Matchmaking is great as long as you have a player base to support it, and ns2 does not. Hopefully combat will have just that.

NS has always been hard to learn, but once you do it has some of the most rewarding gameplay.

Also, if anyone is interested the 96 hour livestream is up for 4 more hours. http://www.twitch.tv/faultlinegames

Last edited: