1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NBA 2K13 Issue

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by adulaamin, Feb 6, 2013.

1. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    My friend has a PC with the following specs:

AMD FX 8350
    Gigabyte 990FX UD5
    2x8gb G-Skill Ripjaws X 1600mhz CAS 10
    Seagate 160gb OS and 1tb Seagate for games/files
    Sapphire 7950 Dual-X with boost (Catalyst 13.1 Drivers)
    Corsair TX750
    Corsair H100i
    Cooler Master HAF 932
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Samsung 32" 720p LCD TV

Everything is at stock setting at the moment. All the other games he plays work fine (BF3, Far Cry 3, COD MW2) except for NBA 2K13. What happens is after a few minutes of playing, the screen goes black but you can still hear the sound for a few more seconds then the computer just hangs. I've tried reformatting and reinstalling the game , maxing out/lowering the game settings/resolution, swapping out HDMI to DVI cable but still the same thing happens. Any ideas? :eek:
  2. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    some games just have issues, for instance my PC won't let me play Titans Quest for some reason, but everything else works perfect lol
    adulaamin says thanks.
  3. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    there's a steam patch for that, I'll dig it up for you. Same with red faction 1 & 2, they have dubious steam patches for compatibility.
    Black screen sounds like driver crash?
    adulaamin says thanks.
  4. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Wow dude, you've covered alot in your troubleshooting but it still goes black? Thats extremely odd.

My thoughts would be a game file issue, but it almost sounds like a driver issue too.
    Does the sound stay on too?

Only other idea would be to cross reference Steam's support site. They might be able to help too.

Good luck :toast:
    adulaamin says thanks.
  5. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    just had a breakthrough in my head. Black screens are sometimes caused by the bink player in certain games if they use it. Make sure your codecs are alright. Of its during gameplay its likely a driver issue. If the game is steam based, do a file verification
    adulaamin says thanks.
  6. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    After the screen goes out the sound stays on for about 15-30 seconds then the computer just hangs/stops altogether and I'd have to do a hard reset.

Unfortunately the game isn't steam based. I'll try 12.10 drivers tomorrow. And about the codecs, how do I go about checking that? Do I need to download and install something like K-lite codec pack?

Thanks for all the replies :toast:
  7. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Who plays basketball games?>
    adulaamin says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    yeah klite works. Also download binkplayer, you'll never use it but some games will.
    Usually when a driver crashes the screen goes back to desktop and makes you aware of what has happened. If the screen goes black and then locks up shortly after and you get a sound like a record skipping, then that tells me system instability.
    adulaamin says thanks.
  9. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    I told him to play other games instead but he's hooked on NBA... He's been playing NBA games since he had his PS1, PS2, and PS3 (which just lately died). He opted to buy a PC instead of another PS3 coz he needs it for school... :)

Everything's on stock... No overclocks... Could it be the hard drive? It's quite old, maybe I'll try to check it for bad sectors although I'm a bit skeptical since it only happens on NBA2K13 not on the other games...
  10. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    what is this basketball you speak of, when do you get to shoot people. No game is truly complete without virtual violence! Even ice hockey games turn into street fighter once in a while!

EDIT: so I took a look on forums, apparently this happens on ps3 too a lot. Also it is grey common with pirated versions of the game, with dodgy cracks. So if it isn't a legit copy, tell him to find a better crack I suppose, and on top of that, the game is terribly made anyway!
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
    adulaamin says thanks.
  11. von kain New Member

Thanks Received:
    the game engine its self haves issues with sli it would be a suprise to have and with crossfire.

disable crosffire and try again
  12. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    maybe the game copy itself was bad? try getting it from another source.

is he running any kind of mod or custom patch in the game?

I do
  13. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    He's re-installed the game already, guess he could change his download client before.

Also, does NBA2K13 have mods? Doubt theres many patches as the game is fairly recent.

Also, I play it too. I think it's broken as shit but I still play it. I played 2K12 as well :cool:
  14. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    There's a ton of mods for NBA 2k13, for the 2k series for the PC(and surprisingly, for the Xbox too)

There's a big modding community for 2k, comparable to the size elder scrolls/halflife modding community. so sad, that the developers are ignoring them.

to the OP:
    I had a similar problem once with NBA 2k12, turns out it was a graphics filter(enb series) combined with some mods that caused the problem. but as you said you were at stock settings so it was probably not mods.

If by chance you are using a "free" version of the game, if not the actual installer is busted, maybe the antivirus is messing with the game exe?
    mlee49 says thanks.
  15. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    It's legit... He bought it from a local video game shop (Data Blitz)

Not on crossfire... Single 7950...

I'll ask if he does use mods...

Thanks for all the help... I'll be trying all the suggestions later today... :)
  16. von kain New Member

Thanks Received:
    there is also a bug about the internet connection. if the game lost internet it hang(in my installation)

try that too. ask him to start the game without internet.
  17. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    hmmm seems strange. I never had a problem with this game including using a HD 4870, GT 440 2GB, GTX 560 OC, HD 6950 and will test my HD 7950 when it arrives Saturday and report back
  18. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    What settings is he using