1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need a good 1090t cooler that sits high.

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by >>PhoeniX<<, May 29, 2011.

1. >>PhoeniX<<

>>PhoeniX<< New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok so I am running my 890FXA-GD70 with 8GB G. Skill Ram. I have a tri crossfire config and my cheap 30$ best buy cooler is just not cutting it for me..

The DRmos chipset cooler is releatively high, same with the ram (Even though the ram is lowpro :rolleyes:). So I need a cooler that sits somewhat high from the actual CPU.

My primary choices are:

The CM V8 although I do not like the whole idea of the PCI bracket deal, considering I have only 7 slots. 6 for my cards, and one for my lighting. The CM V6 even though I don't like the idea of having to route a molex connector up there. And the ThermalTake Frio. Although I do not think it will sit high enough. I really would like to mount it, airflow horizontal. Because I do not want to just suck heat off my primary card.

Suggestions? Looking to spend around 50-60 bucks.. But the cheaper the better. The pic is the space I have.

Attached Files:

2. Fatal

Fatal

Thanks Received:
    I would say the Corsair H60 or H50

3. b82rez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Corsair H50 for sure man!

4. Zyon

Zyon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Coolermaster Hyper 212+ (ironically enough I think very lowly of their power supplies, but they do make good fan coolers).

5. Volkszorn88

Volkszorn88

Thanks Received:
    My H70 is working like a charm :D

6. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    Noctua NH-D14, or a Corsair H70 or H90 when it gets released.

7. >>PhoeniX<<

>>PhoeniX<< New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was thinking about the NHD14 but I really don't want to spend 80-90 bucks lol. I was also thinking about the H60 or H50 just because they open up a lot of space.. Hmm

8. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The V8 isn't very good in terms of performance, looks cool though. I think a Corsair H50 or H70 would be great for your situation.

9. Israar

Israar

Thanks Received:
    I don't know much on either, but you should weigh it down to what meets your requirements more, the NH-D14 might be pushing your budget but if I'm right it is superior to the H50, although if you're looking for more space, then go for either the H50/H60 which ever suits you better?

Set yourself a budget limit and given what your budget brings up for consideration, you might actually want to notch it up like a lot of people tend to do and go for the more superior yet little bit more expensive option?

Hope this helps even just a little mate!

--Lee

10. blu3flannel

blu3flannel

Thanks Received:
    I've heard good things about the Corsair A70, but the H50/70 coolers are both solid picks.

11. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    H70 all the way. I highly recommend it from personal experience with both of my i7's.

12. Play3r New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd say a H60 or 50 I don't think you get that much more performance with a H70

13. >>PhoeniX<<

>>PhoeniX<< New Member

Thanks Received:
    I do not mind about the space issue. I know I can fit a NH D14 in my case I just need a cooler to go over my Memory modules.

So which is it the NH D14 or the H50? Because I would like to overclock (in the learing process) around 4.5-4.0GHz... So I need the better of the two. Looking to spend around 50-60 bucks.

Edit: Oh and if anybody has some 4.0GHz OC'd advice to give me that would be great as well :D

14. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    If you have a Best Buy near you, they have the H50 for $40.

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  15. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    The NH-D14 will fit over your ram 100%. I have it, and the G.Skill RipjawsX memory, and it fits fine.

16. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    Corsair H50 FTW!... if you can stretch further with some more $$$ and love to overclock crazy high, then definately H70 ;)

17. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I would not recommend the H50 for SB-based/Thuban-based builds. To get good performance requires fan replacement, which wil lbring you to H70 costs anyway.

Then, the H70 isn't as good as the D14, and the D14 is near silent, while the H70....is pretty loud.

H50 will limit your overclock, 100%. Figure that @ 3850 on my 110T, I'm pulling near 225W through the CPU. H50 just fails. H70 is keeping up where the H50, even with different fans, could not.

heky says thanks.
  18. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually as it happens the H70 has beaten the NH-D14 in several reviews. It has also lost in several reviews as well. However, It is definitely on par the the NH-D14 and it's also extremely low profile. The noctua cooler is enormous. It looks cool if you're into that style cooler.

However, I have had a much better experience with the H70. I am able to push my i7 950 to 4.2GHz with hyperthreading on, turbo and stepping off, other custom OC settings in bios at HIGH voltages. It performs beautifully for me, and it is very quiet once the stock fans are replaced.

It's really just a matter of opinion at this point because they perform so close to each other. You could also buy something cheap now and get the corsair H100 when it comes out soon. Or go for an XSPC RASA water cooling kit. It's under $200 USD and it comes with everything you need to do a full CPU loop.

19. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I have had all three coolers. I do not agree that the H70 is on-par with the D14, at all. Very recently used them all on 1155, 1156, and AM3.

Add in to it the silence of the D14, and the D14 wins, hands down.

I'm the only reviewer exploring actual CPU power consumption via EPS 8-pin. The D14 has a higher capacity to remove heat under large loads like the AMD Thuban chips have while overclocked. Heck, even @ stock, I can pull 150W through my 1100T. I can't get anywhere NEAR that with 1155, even @ 4.8 GHz. Same thing with 1156.

Intel chips do not put out heat like AMD chips do, so while your expereince is valid with 1156 chips, AM3 is a whole different ball game. I know reported temps are very differnt, but temps do not really tell you much, when it comes to CPU power consumption.

20. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just to correct you. Both of my chips are 1366. One is a Bloomfield and the other is a Gulftown. From what I've seen my Bloomfield draws a ton of power and also gives off a ton of heat. Do you have a review covering all these coolers on a bloomfield chip? I would be interested to read that.

It seems other people have had different results than you. Just keep that in mind. Different people have different experiences :)

21. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Sure. Keep in mind I'm the motherboard reviewer here @ TPU. While 1366 can be a bit hotter than 1155, it's not by much. The only real differences between the platform is that 1156 has the northbridge in the chip(more CPU heat), but 1366 has the chipset on the board, and extra memory channel. As far as I am concerned, the only reason 1366 appears hotter is the X58 chipset dumping heat into the motherboard.

Personally, I see no use for 1366. The added memory bandwdith doesn't add up to very much, in my experience, unless you are crunching, or something. If you consider SB, then 1366 is a waste of time, unless you want 6-core CPUs.

22. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    No use for 1366? That seems a bit extreme. So you're saying there was no use to build a 1366 based system when it was new, even though it has some benefits of performance and 6-core chips? I have to disagree there.

I do have a 6 core gulftown chip that I use in my main work machine, and I have some huge databases and distributed computing stuff running off of it 24/7. It's also running a lot of software controlling VMWare ESXI servers, as well as vmware workstation. I seem to benefit from the memory controller quite a bit. That's a different story though, as I work in the web hosting industry.

This is not considering SB, because we're talking before SB was released. Way before it was released actually. I just ordered a new SB system last night though. I made a thread on it but it turned into a troll fest and was closed. I actually lease about 12 new sandy bridge servers per week to new customers for my web hosting business. I have a guy who has over 45 2600k's in a cloud setup. We also have many AMD based setups, and many 1366 based xeon servers.

Anyways this is getting way off subject from the OP. Sorry !

23. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Would go with an H60 over the H50 if you don't mind the price, since it's more silent (if that's a problem for you).

24. Dopamin3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Closed loop water cooling loops are essentially a gimmick. If you can grab an H50 for $40 at Best Buy then you should consider it if you don't want to wait too long. However, for $40 you can get the Scythe Mugen 2. It's fairly large and will hover over your RAM, but will provide excellent temps. I had previously used one and it rivaled my NH-D14 with two Silverstone FM121 fans in push/pull. Since your budget is up to $60, you could buy one great fan now and one down the road for push/pull. In the price range it sits, nothing is going to do better.

25. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    How are they a gimmick exactly? If you're going to say something like that you have to at least explain why you said it. I have used many air coolers, full water in the past as well, and the H50 and H70 are not "gimmicks". They actually perform quite well given their size.

Please explain, because I am really interested to know why they are gimmicks.