1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need a good VGA cooler that fits in my HTPC case...

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by sandiegoborn32, Jun 30, 2013.

1. sandiegoborn32

sandiegoborn32 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello all, I'd like to get some better cooling going on in my HTPC. My temps are higher than what I'm usually comfortable with. Idle temps are close to 50 degrees Celsius for both the CPU and the GPU, and load temps are close to 70 degrees Celsius (while gaming). I have found a good low profile CPU cooler, but my searches have been fruitless when looking for a GPU cooler, specifically a GPU cooler that will fit in my case. I need to know if there is a GPU cooler available that is better than the stock cooler and will fit inside my case.

If there isn't anything available, then I will consider just getting a new HTPC case that will have more clearance for a larger GPU cooler.

This is my case -http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811121100

And this is my GPU -http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131480

My HTPC Specs -

CPU - Intel Core i5 2400s
    Motherboard - Asrock B75M-DGS
    RAM - 4GB DDR3 1600MHz G.Skill Ripjaws Series Memory
    GPU - PowerColor Low-Profile Radeon HD 7750 1GB GDDR5
    SSD - Intel 320 Series 40GB
    HDD - Hitachi Desktar 500GB

2. klva80

klva80

Thanks Received:
    have you looked at the cooler master viva z1???

or maybe thid one

Zalman VNF100

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
    sandiegoborn32 says thanks.
  3. sandiegoborn32

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the reply! I have looked at a lot of coolers (including those ones) and non of them will fit. If the cooler's width is more than 75mm, it will not fit in my case. I've just about given up and I think I just might order a new, wider case. I like this case that I have, but the limited clearance for coolers is really a huge let-down.

4. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    That sort of GPU temperature is not a problem at all. You said you got a new CPU cooler, so I take it the CPU temp is better.

5. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    The temps aren't that bad, totally acceptable for your CPU and VGA. If you really want to stay with the same case, then you could always go with water-cooling and an external rad.

6. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    70's fine but to make sure check with GPU-Z and hopefully your card to be able to show other temps of the card.

That PSU looks like a bad place to be and i know i would just get a Dremel on it at the top of the case and on the side of the PSU and all so change the PSU so it taking air from outside.

Dremel is your friend :p :)
    http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pages/ToolDetail.aspx?pid=4000

7. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Yea. Temp does kill a PSU a lot faster than anything else. It's not in any worse a position than the old top mounted psus though.

8. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    Your case looks kind of marginal as far as cooling, and your GPU temps aren't that high. A bigger case with more fan ports would certainly help. Fractal Design makes a decent HTPC case, although the price may alienate some people. Fractal Design Black Aluminum / Steel Node 605 FD-...

9. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Wha ?.. there is more heat at the bottom of a case typically due to the video card. Putting a PSU at the bottom which is in a hotter place and more chance of a dustier place. Only reason it court on was due to change.

All they haad to do really is to allow a tower case and thee PSU to take air from out side.

Anyways as seen as he don't have a tower case and i was on about the psu being by the video card so there is less space for the GPU to breath and less fan options.

I'd just dremel the crap out of that case so the PSU draws air from out side and at the top over were the GFX card is a fan or 2 if possible from the top of the case.

Would like to hear really what GPU-Z ( if it does ) about the temps of the VRMs and possibly other parts of the gpu temps are.

silkstone and sandiegoborn32 say thanks.
  10. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    i think the 7770 would emit less heat than his 2400. But you are right, the case being so cramped, any position would be pretty bad. I wasn't disagreeing with your post, btw. An external intake would be much better. I was just pointing out that only a few years ago, internal intake was much more common.

I'd actually be interested to see number on the temp difference between the top and bottom of a case. I know the physics behind it, but at such a low height and with fans circulating air, I can't imagine it would be more than a couple of degrees for most cases.

sandiegoborn32 and AsRock say thanks.
  11. sandiegoborn32

Thanks Received:
    Thank you all so much for replying! I actually haven't gotten the CPU cooler yet (not sure which one to get and would appreciate some suggestions), but I have been absolutely unsuccessful in finding a GPU cooler that will fit so I think I'm just going to get a bigger case with more clearance. Any suggestions? Once again, thank you all for the replies!

12. sandiegoborn32

Thanks Received:
    This is what my HTPC looks like on the inside. I'm not sure how good of a job I did with the cable management, so I'll leave that for you guys to judge for yourselves. Maybe you can give me some pointers?

Attached Files:

13. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    I'd say Zalman VF900-Cu. It'll take two slots though.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. sandiegoborn32

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, that cooler would be great, but it's too wide for my case and won't allow me to put the side panel back on.

15. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Based on your picture, I have a suggestion before you spend any money.
    Move that bulk of wires away from blocking that intake area and then if you have any spare fans, put a second intake fan inline (use zip ties) with the first so that that air gets directly shot at the gpu. That should fix it.'

That bundle of wires is blocking your air intake. If you look at it, how is your GPU getting any fresh air if the intake has those wires. Move the wires up into that 5.25 bay above.

16. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    What size is that fan ?, maybe see if you can pick up a 80?x38mm fan although some need to be on a fan controller or at the very least controlled by the motherboard bios\software.

Or even try placing a fan across the top of the card to help to suck the heat away. Another possible way which i did to my 6770 waas to take of the shroud ( was only held on by 4 screws ) and added a 120mm fan to it and worked like a charm although gotta be careful of your warranty.

17. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    AsRock says thanks.
  18. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    +2

i actually forgot about those haha, looks like Titan stopped making their adjustable one :(. Still think it be worth taking that shroud off if it can be put back on without the manufacture noticing.

Here's a few more
    Vantec Spectrum Fan Card with Dual 70mm Adjustable...
    AzenX Blitztorm BT-SC70BBL Case Fan - Newegg.com
    EVERCOOL SB-RV Ever Lubricate Rocket V system cool...