1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need a little help with iTunes...

Discussion in 'General Software' started by satindemon4u, May 2, 2014.

1. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    Hello all. So for a while now I have had the following setup...

My iTunes library has all of my music that I want to play (obviously)
    The original file location for that music is on my external hard drive.
    This means that I must plug in my external to listen to music otherwise iTunes can't find what isn't there

So my basic question is, how do I go about getting the music that is only in my library from my external to my computer? Please don't tell me I have to go through and pick out each and every song. Currently my library is around 800 songs and the music on my external is well over 6,000 songs lol.

Thanks all!
  2. FX-GMC

FX-GMC

Thanks Received:
    Either move them individually or download the songs in your itunes library to a new library on your OS drive.
  3. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    Well. This could take a while...
  4. flmatter

flmatter

Thanks Received:
    If you had to hunt and peck your way thru all 6k songs yes it will take a while. I have over 25K songs and if I have to transfer from internal drive to external drive or copy and paste it takes about an hour and a half.
    1 Million points folded for TPU
  5. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    Well, good news. Figured out a much faster way. Both of you may be interested as well.

A while back I found out how to export my library so that I could have those exact songs on my phone (Android) To do that, you are suppose to make a playlist and include your entire library in it. Then, export the playlist and save it as an M3U file. After that, open Windows Media Player and connect your device and then go to Sync. Drag and drop the M3U file there. Make sure the music is on an external, that the external is plugged in.

ANYWAY, that's how I got the music on my phone. So what did I do? Well, plugged my phone in and went to my music folder and copied all of that music (my iTunes library) to my computer. From there, I changed the directory in iTunes to where I just copied the music to. After that, delete the library and drag and drop the music from the new location to the library. NOTE: try it with one song or artist at first to make sure that it works.

That's what worked for me. :D total time of copying and everything was like 15 minutes! :D (a little longer if you first have to add the music to your phone)

This process makes it so that you don't have to go through one by one.
    FX-GMC says thanks.