1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need a new 1155 mobo...

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by dhdude, Apr 4, 2013.

1. dhdude

Thanks Received:
    Hey Guys,

I currently have the Intel DP67BG motherboard listed in my system specs, however Intel messed up overclocking support when they enabled Ivy Bridge compatibility, and as such it means that I can't overclock my 2500K, as as soon as the processor exceeds a certain level of current, the board resets the CPU to stock.

On top of this, the top PCIe x16 slot doesn't work, so I'm running on the second x16 slot, limited to 8x electrically.

So I wish to upgrade the board.

Now, when I had a 2700k, I had a P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 and quite liked that board, and have in fact found one brand new on Amazon for just under £100, whereas the newer P8Z77-V PRO I'm also interested in is £160, is it worth the extra £60? I realise that Z77 brings native USB3 and that board brings extra features such as onboard WiFi, LucidLogix Virtu MVP, but is it worth it?

Also, I'm open to other suggestions! :toast:

2. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    dhdude says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    If he doesnt need thunderbolt, why pay more? Grab the non TH.

Asrock Extreme 6 would be my budget choice.

4. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Maybe because they don't sell the non TH anymore........

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Good point! My bad... UD4H for $20 less. ;)

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD4H ATX Intel Motherboard with U...

I still say go Asrock Z77 Extreme 6 though. Power delivery area is plenty robust for 5Ghz overclocks (versus the Ex4 that really isnt) and a bit cheaper. 6 of one half dozen of the other really. At that meager price difference, it comes down to looks (or features) to me.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  6. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I have only good things to say about my UD5H, take a look at my system specs...

7. dhdude

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the responses guys!

Up until now, I hadn't given Gigabyte much thought this time around, however the UD5 is a little more than I'd like to spend but will definitely consider it. The UP4-TH is a very interesting product on the other hand, I'm just concerned that it is so cheap considering it's features, surely there must be a downside to that board? Its got Thunderbolt and seems to overclock like a beast!

Does anyone have an opinion on my original dilemma of P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 vs P8Z77-V PRO? Still interested to hear some thoughts on that!

8. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    A cheap price does not mean its a bad product. The Asrock Ex6 and the UD4H are both very solid boards. Unless there are features you require out of the UD5H or that Asus Z77 board above, you will be plenty happy with the lower priced boards. Mobos for today's processors just are not as important as it used to be in the days of bclk overclocking. A decent power area is all you need to get daily overclocks to 5Ghz. Save $40 and get the UD4H or Asrock ex6 as both are quality boards.

dhdude says thanks.
  9. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    Asus P8Z77-V

I have the Asus P8Z77-V, which is the same as the P8Z77-V Pro except for 2 less USB 3.0 ports and no Thunderbolt port, and it goes for $185 on NewEgg. I have zero issues, and the UEFI BIOS is the best in the industry. I'm overclocking CPU, GPU, and RAM, and the board never breaks a sweat. I consider it to be the sweet spot for Z77 boards, very stable, lots of ports, and nothing extra you don't need.

dhdude says thanks.
  10. revin

revin

Thanks Received:
    I take it you got hit with the BIOS update scam Intel tried to pull off ?

I presume it was just fine before the "new" 03x" BIOS ?
    Shame on them :nutkick:
    There is a LOT of DZ68 users that didn't catch that , and now a supurb board is toast.

dhdude says thanks.
  11. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    MSI makes some kick ass product. look at the Z77 GD45, Z77 GD55 and Z77 GD65.

12. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    ^what he said. very satisfied with my GD80

drdeathx says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU