1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need a new audio source, soundbar, 5.1, or recommend me audiophile headphone...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Phusius, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have a Xonar DG sound card. Had the ATH-AD700 once, was not comfy on my odd shaped head. My budget is $100 to $230.

Considering an LG soundbar, or this 5.1 Samsung system:

Samsung HT-E550 1000W 5.1-Channel DVD Home Theater...

Nippon Labs White 12ft Pro A/V Premium Toslink Dig...

Downsides of 5.1 system: afraid neighbors will call police, my walls are thin...

Would like a really nice pair of audiophile headphones for gaming, as I already have a desktop mic. I can not decide though, the ATH-AD900's I have heard are amazing for gaming, however, I am wary of buying them since the design is similar to ATH-AD700 which I find uncomfy... thoughts? recommendations?
  2. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    where is Bumblebee when you need him... :(
  3. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Why not send him a PM? :cool:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    i don't know how to search for people to add them as a friend... i tried search bar no luck
  5. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    nm i figured it out, please close topic admin
  6. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    BB is a woman
    BumbleBee says thanks.
  7. STCNE

STCNE New Member

Thanks Received:
    Pick up a vintage pair of STAX and a transformer box off ebay. You can run the box off the speaker out of your receiver.

Sounds like an odd idea I know, but I've been through pretty much all the mid-range audiophile phones: AD900, A900, Grado SR-80i, Sennheiser 598, and the Ultrasone 2900. STAX is king. If you really want something modern though, the Senn 5xxs are amazing for gaming because they tilt the drivers, throwing off a massive soundstage. Ultrasone's S-logic is comparably good but not quite there. It would really depend on your music tastes. Senns are better for traditional instruments, Ultrasones for electronic music. STAX just do everything right. :)

Don't bother with Audio-Technica. I couldn't get the AD900s comfortable either and the soundstaging seemed to just be the way the drivers were tuned. With busier music and gaming it just falls apart. That, and the bass is non-existent.
  8. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    the Audio Technica AD900 is a good headphone but it's $226 and I don't feel it's worth the upgrade if you already own the AD700. once you get to $300 the competition gets stiff. there is a member here that uses a STAX SR-507 or 407 for gaming. gaming just isn't worth a headphone over $300.

I tried recommending the Sennheiser HD558. I think he is leaning towards a Onkyo receiver package.