1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need a PSU for new (mostly) build

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Nokiacrazi, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Nokiacrazi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello guys, many may recall I made a couple of threads wondering about upgrade paths etc.

Well anywho, I have upgraded.

Asus P8Z77-M
    Intel i5-3450 3.1Ghz
    G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz
    and old HIS 3870 512Mb.

Well the problem is this: I had bought the Corsair TX650W PSU, which seemed to work absolutely fine for the first couple of boots, but it failed on me yesterday. Tested it comprehensively, definitely dead PSU, so filled in a RMA and it will be picked up Monday.

Anyway, looking to get another PSU. Would prefer if its modular and ~500-650W

Should mention that also being powered is 2 SATAII HDD's, 1 SSD, 2 Optical DVD drives and 3 case fans. Also would be looking to upgrade the GPU to a 7850 when the prices go down.

So can anyone recommend anything? Should mention I'm in the UK and mainly stick to ebuyer or aria/micro direct.

2. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    This one looks nice: Antec TruePower New 550W Modular PSU | Ebuyer.com

Don't be fooled by the wattage, unlike some of the inexpensive ones it has lots of amperage for it's power. The 650w version has a bit more than the Corsair you mentioned to give you an idea. Antec makes good PSUs. They also make cheapos of course too, but their better ones are very good.