1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need advice from the pros on build

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by wackojedi, May 15, 2007.

1. wackojedi

wackojedi New Member

May 15, 2007
    2 (0.00/day)
    Thanks Received:
    Need advice from the pro on build
    I am trying to assemble parts for a new build and have been doing a lot of research on many websites/forums. Based on so many posts, its clear that I need professional advice (thats why I'm here) . Please note that the following list of components have been acquired already and I am looking forward to using with the new build.

* Case = Antec Solo
    * PSU = Corsair CMPSU-520HX
    * Graphic Card = EVGA GeForce 7900GS 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 KO Video Card
    * Memory = Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864AA804

I am looking for a motherboard but I'm pulling my hair out trying to get something that sits well with the majority of the people. I am trying to stay under $150 for the motherboard in this case as well. The following is a list of motherboards I researched which tend to fit the budget but cause grief in making a final decision:

1. Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 - Apparently there is no clear consensus of my memory being compatible with this motherboard
    2. ASUS P5N-E - The memory sits well with this board based on posts by owners of the board and memory
    3. Gigabyte GA-N650i**-DS4 - This board is so new, not too many reviews about it, but the vr-zone review gives is great praise

If you all can review my post and provide feedback, I would appreciate it. Final note is that I surely would like to overclock to be in league with all of you and I plan to purchase a Intel E6420 C2D CPU but wanted to get clarification on the motherboard first,

Thanks all for your help.
  2. hat

hat Enthusiast

Nov 20, 2006
    17,441 (5.29/day)
    Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    1,240 (0.36/day)
    Thanks Received:

Go with the Asus P5N-E, heard mostly great things about it.

As for memory compatibilty, IMO DDR2 is DDR2. IMO, most ppl (who have problems) can't/don't know how to set it up properly in the BIOS