1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need advice on a new mobo/Cpu/Ram bundle

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Pikem4n, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Pikem4n

Thanks Received:
    Hello folks

I am seeking some guidence here from some of you whom frequent these forums,i've got to update my system due the fact that my current mobo (and maybe cpu too) are dead.

If you look at my current system specs, currently i am (or maybe was!!) running an socket 775 cpu (c2d) on a nvidea 680i mobo along with some DDR2 memory,the cpu and mobo were brought 2nd hand and tbh i don't really want to risk the gauntlet of buying an old skt 775 o.motherboard just incase the cpu is dead too.

So i am looking to get a new based mobo,cpu and ram bundle as i am sure all of the other stuff that is my system shall work "OK" with most new bundles,but i am wondering should i go for a Intel based quad core system OR an AMD Equilivent system? And what is better? The budget for this is £300 so can anyone point me in the right direction because atm i am feeling like a very confused kid in a sweet shop!!!!!!

Many thanks :)

2. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Well Intel has been reining supreme for quite some time now and they do have the best CPU's atm.

Intel's Sandy Bridge is now fixed so you can go that route. For a CPU/motherboard/RAM it should come in under budget for you.

I know youre not in the states, but you can go to your favorite site to buy and or look around.

RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR...

CPU - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Tu...

Mobo - ASUS P8P67-M PRO (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA...

Comes out to $419.97 without shipping to my house here in the States. You also dont need anything more than an i5 for gaming. If you were doing encoding and what not, then Id get the i7.

4. BraveSoul

Thanks Received:
    Pikem4n says thanks.
  5. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    Pikem4n says thanks.
  6. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    All above advice is good based on the way Intel is moving. I like the selections.

The only thing I might add is extra/different memory configuration to 2 x 4GB, ((not sticking to budget)).

Once done, you may want to get a newer graphics card.

Pikem4n says thanks.
  7. Pikem4n

Thanks Received:

Well i am trying not to go over the £300 barrier,and it's tough when a new pc hardware carrot is being dangled before my very eyes! lol

I was looking at these earlier,thoughts?

http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=MBA-P7P55DEP

http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=CPI-I3530

http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=MEO-D3-4096G13

I mean there are only a few pounds between both bundles, ut am i right in thinking the i3 cpu is dual core and the i5 is quad core???

8. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Yes, i3 is dual core.

Pikem4n says thanks.
  9. Doomedspeed New Member

Thanks Received:
    from what i know the i3 is not worth the effort. You'd be better off, with a cheaper AMD quad-core.

If your going to go intel, It has to be sandybridge (i5 2500K).

10. Pikem4n

Thanks Received:
    Hello again folks

Well I've decided to shave a few pounds off my budget, so i am going down the AMD path!!

Currently looking at getting the following -

Asus M4N98TD EVO £95.70

AMD PHENOM II X4 965 BLACK EDITION £119.94

G.Skill 8Gb DDR3 1333 (2x4Gb) Ripjaws CL9 Dual-Chan Kit £69.95

Total =£288.18 (inc VAT)

So what do you guys think of this little bundle? Before i buy it! :D

11. Doomedspeed New Member

Thanks Received:
    Pikem4n says thanks.
  12. Pikem4n

Thanks Received:

Hi doom

I do think it's a little bit of an overkill for gaming but i do webcast on a daily basis with a HD set-up,but i have been told by a few sources (who work at different pc stores) that if i go for something like a ram module that is "1600" they might not work in the board so it was either buying something cheap and cheerful "1066" ram or some "1333" based ram, and the 1333 based ram seemed better rated and was only available in 2x4GB sticks if that makes sense?

I will get a better HSF next month doomspeed,thanks guys btw for all of your input :)

13. Doomedspeed New Member

Thanks Received:
    Agreed, 1333 is the best way to go. Just out of interest i think 1600 would work if you overclocked you Mobo, but i wouldn't bother.

I did the same, buying 2 X 4GB!

14. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    overkill for gaming? NEVAH!

tbh tho... i've only recently seen games that RECOMMEND 4GB of ram... so yea 8gb is probably overkill... but no harm in having extra right?

More than 25k PPD
  15. Pikem4n

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys

Well i've ordered the parts,should be arriving on monday by the brilliant british parcelforce delivery service* Well it might be overkill in regards to the gaming stakes,but with games getting bigger and better more memory will be required,right?

Also i will get a better card in the future,BUT i need to get a new lcd monitor for my set up so that shall be my next purchase,anyways i think my current gfx should be ok for the time being and i think once everything is re-assembled for what i need my pc for,it's going to fly (hopefully!) :D

16. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    I seen a gaming computer the other day with 32GB of ram. :laugh:

17. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Heya Pikem4n!

Core i3 outedges the 965BE by only a touch. Both perform very similar. I think you did well.

18. Pikem4n

Thanks Received:
    Hey folks

Well after 24 hours of having the new stuff installed i am impressed and i did not even have to reformat the hdd,w7 booted up straight away!!, apps open and close really quickly,it's pretty stable and importantly playing bfbc2 is good and quakelive is a dream,getting a steady 125fps on that too! :D

Only got a few issues though,one is it does seem to be kick out a bit more heat than the old mobo and cpu is there a way to control that?

And secondly the guy who builds my pc's for me sent me a txt earlier and was wondering if the PSU i've got,which is a 600W will that suffice the demands of running my new build along with my gpu?

19. Doomedspeed New Member

Thanks Received:
    A 600W PSU is plenty, unless you are Crossfire-ing or SLI-ing. Even then it may be up to the job.

the 955 and 965 do get quite hot, so it may be worth investing in an aftermarket cooler.
    I think i suggested the CM Hyper 212 earlier, thats a good one.

Or if you have enough room (and money) go for a Corsair Hydro H50 They do take a bit of time to install though.

If you want to keep it cheap, More case fans! :)

EDIT: Im glad to hear that the build performing so well.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011