1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need advice on Xmas present upgrade/build for my brother...

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Black Panther, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Recently I bought an AMD 5000+ BE, planning to include it on a new build for my daughter.

However I realised that my 7-year old wouldn't be able to appreciate my efforts and $$ spent at all, so I've decided to do something about my foster brother's system (and buy her other xmas presents instead)...

He likes to game, and he's got a single core sempron 2800+ 2Ghz, 1GB of RAM and the 8600GTS 256MB I passed on to him more than a year ago.

What I know so far (he plays different genres of games compared to me) is that his processor is holding him back.
    He's got a small monitor which he's not complaining about, a 17" 4:3 ratio. He could play Crysis on low and get it smooth at 800x600 and it was fine for him.
    But he can't get Empire Total War to run at all. Probably due to processor limitations.

I just wanted a little bit of advice - if I use the 5000BE, buy a mobo for it and use some 2GB of RAM I have in someplace somewhere... (keeping his 500W PSU and 8600GTS) , would I be giving him a satisfactory xmas present which would be fine to run his games on the 4:3 17" monitor (he won't be really looking for fine stuff like shadows or other details as long as his game runs smoothly).

I just don't want to change processor, mobo and ram and have him complain that his pc can't run his choice of games same as it had been before (and I need some advice over from here since I'm a real dork when it comes to amd processors and their expected performance...)

Thanks for any advice!

2. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    The new CPU and double the RAM should be a substantial upgrade over that Sempron (they are extremely slow). A cheap GPU upgrade would not hurt either though and would really round it all out.

Black Panther says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks theonedub.

I didn't want to tell him I gave him a CPU (and a mobo and ram to boot.........) only to have me tell me that for him stuff's still the same...

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  4. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    It will be a rather large improvement over his current system. I would guess with new RAM, GPU, and CPU, it will be at least 2.5 times the gaming performance.

5. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    The GT would top that system off pretty nicely. He'd be able to play most games satisfactorily at even 19" res. Do the easy OC to 3.0 for him and it'll be smooth like butter.

6. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Empire:Total War is very demanding, but I think the upgrade might just be able to handle it, I cant run it on my laptop (check the specs <-----)

7. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    Well an 8400gs isn't really anything compared to the 8600GTS. You're looking at a low end video card for hd playback to a budget gaming card.

8. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    i think at those resolutions it should be ok....
    which 5000BE is it... really doesn't matter just curious