1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need Advice/Suggestion About SSD for Boot Drive

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Mad_Commander, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Mad_Commander New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lately, I want to replace my old boot HDD, which has begun making a strange noise, with a new boot drive. But I am confused to choose between a new HDD or switch to an SSD. At first I did not think about replacing my old boot HDD with SSD at all, but after I watch this video, I became interested in using the SSD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sA0zmhW7Fg

My first question is: Is it true that using SSD can shorten OS start-up time?
    And: What brands and types are recommended to maximize speed? I had heard about Sandforce SSD from my friend, is Sandforce SSD a good SSD?

Thanks before. :)
  2. $immond$ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea they can but I suggest optimizing your windows start up as well. CCleaner is probably the easiest without breaking your registry.

Sandforce is not a brand but a type of controller built into certain SSDs. Sandforce SSDs are very fast and best bang for your buck especially in RAID 0, or just as an OS drive.
    They offer great performance and offer superior read/write times.
    Mad_Commander says thanks.
  3. Mad_Commander New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, just come back from a few days vacation.. :)
    I've tried CCleaner, but no change.. So I suppose it was indeed the HDD is damaged..:(
    Ok, thanks for your explanation about Sandforce.. :)
  4. $immond$ New Member

Thanks Received:
  5. Mad_Commander New Member

Thanks Received:
  6. Hockster

Hockster

Thanks Received:
    I've got 2 Intel 160GB SSD's, one for the OS and main apps, second for games. I can't imagine ever going back to a plain HDD. Longest part of boot up is me typing my password. App loads are noticably faster. Games that need to load all kinds of textures and whatnot don't show much improvement. Install times are a lot better, and patch installs go quite a bit quicker as well.