1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need advice to build system for virtualisation purpose

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by johnsmith2020, Jan 18, 2010.

1. johnsmith2020 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, I am a student and learning MCSA course. I have a laptop with Core2duo 2Ghz with 2 gb ram. When I use virtual machines on it, it gets hot and end up with Blue screen error. So I have decided to build custom desktop.
    I want to use it mostly for Virtualisation and Gaming purpose.
    I have read that AMD processors are good in Virtualisation and Gaming. So I want to build system having AMD Quad core or any other high end processor with 4 or 8 gb DDR3 RAM with good graphics card and with 1TB harddrive.
    The desktop should be able to run 3-4 virtual machins, Also pls advice about cooling system of CPU.

Pls advise the good configuration which suits my needs. I don't have so good knowledge about hardware.
    Thanks in advance.
  2. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    How much are you looking to spend on it?

AMD or Intel would be fine as the major virtualization packages support both AMD and Intel extensions, AMD-V/AMD-Vi and VT-x/VT-d. It's just that AMD likes to include theirs in nearly all chips while Intel doesn't.

Depending on much training you'll be doing in multiple VM's, might want to consider a couple drives (separate or RAID) so that your host OS and VM's aren't sharing a single drive.
    johnsmith2020 says thanks.
  3. johnsmith2020 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am ready to spend $500-600 (20,000Rs.-28,000Rs. (Rs.= Indian currency))
    Budget can be increased.

I want to use it mainly for virtualisation. I am not sure which processor is better AMD or INTEL?
    I am not aware about the latest motherboard and processors so I can upgrade them as per requirements. about hard drive and other peripheral I have a little bit knowledge.

Pls advise me about the CPU so I can build high end system which will have latest processor,at least 4 GB ram and best graphics card so I can run virtual machines very easily.
    Also guide me about cooling system of CPU. Are there any other device are available than fans inside CPU to keep system cool?
  4. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    do you need an OS and a DVD drive in this budget?
  5. SnoopKatt

SnoopKatt

Thanks Received:
    If you leave your computer at stock and if you keep it in a well ventilated area, it's not going to overheat like laptops. The system fan the CPU comes will cool the system properly, but if you want to get more speed out of your setup, it would be wise to overclock. If you choose to overclock, you will need to buy a new CPU cooler.

If you're interested, go around the forums and read about overclocking. There's tons of good articles.
  6. johnsmith2020 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I dont want OS but want blue ray drive on it.
  7. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    a normal blu-ray drive to burn blu-ray files or just to read them?
  8. johnsmith2020 New Member

Thanks Received:

I want that system to run 3-4 instance of virtual machines at same time. SO want to know which processor and motherboard is suitable for me. If my budget is not sufficient right now I will buy the high end motherboard and processor. This will be mine long term investment but in near future I will upgrade the system so system performance can meet my requirement.

Pls tell me about the good processor which is good for virtualisation and motherboard on which I can put RAM upto 8 GB.
  9. johnsmith2020 New Member

Thanks Received:
    a normal blu-ray drive to burn blu-ray files will be better:)
  10. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    I think this build may do the trick,although you can change the case to whatever you please since its personal preference.
    [​IMG]
  11. johnsmith2020 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thnaks a lot for so quick reply:toast:

This has given me good guideline to build my 1st desktop, I can prioritized what to buy first. I will build by custom desktop in 2-3 months as my salary comes.

Thanks once again:cool:
  12. Konceptz

Konceptz

Thanks Received:
    whatever you do, get a quad core cpu.